Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

26 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I think we get 20m for him last summer, he scored a lot of goals last season. 

And was injured a lot and not getting younger.

42 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I think we get 20m for him last summer, he scored a lot of goals last season. 

Problem is that selling players to upgrade them for a significantly larger fee didn't work well with our FFP restrictions in terms of building squad depth. I know he is injured a lot, but we needed more depth in several positions, and we would probably not get that much for Wilson compared to what it would cost to get a good replacement. They wanted to buy without selling decent players, unless we could get the same fee back from the sale like with ASM and Barnes.

Edited by Erikse

10 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Problem is that selling players to upgrade them for a significantly larger fee didn't work well with our FFP restrictions in terms of building squad depth. I know he is injured a lot, but we needed more depth in several positions, and we would probably not get that much for Wilson compared to what it would cost to get a good replacement. They wanted to buy without selling decent players, unless we could get the same fee back from the sale like with ASM and Barnes.

It’s true, it’s not ideal as you need a replacement but that’s going to be the case for awhile, no way around it. Now the situation will be worst as he’s worth less than he was and likely to leave for free at the end of contract whilst spending a lot of time injured. It’s a lose lose for us. 

I get that’s it’s unpalatable as he’s very likeable and done the business for us, but you have to sell at the top so you can continue to invest. 

From 7:00 minutes.

The owners fully back Howe, in it for the long haul with Eddie, and believe he's the man to take the club forward and will stick together ❤️  cheers Keith

"unequivocally backed" Staveley 

Edited by mighty__mag

8 hours ago, McDog said:

If Eddie got sacked I imagine the squad reaction would be just dandy.....:sad:

Luis Enrique nearly got PSG dumped out of the CL this year. And hasn't set the world alight there.

He spectacularly failed with Spain previously, and was accused of snubbing Real Madrid players, he's that petty.

Doesn't seem like the character we would want or need in the dressing room.

48 minutes ago, dcmk said:

Luis Enrique nearly got PSG dumped out of the CL this year. And hasn't set the world alight there.

He spectacularly failed with Spain previously, and was accused of snubbing Real Madrid players, he's that petty.

Doesn't seem like the character we would want or need in the dressing room.

He isn’t. We have our man! 

:howe:

10 hours ago, BrianSwan said:

Can only get rid of Howe if there's a World class manager availiable.

.. Is there?

No! Luis Enrique would have been nice.

We already have a world class manager.

10 minutes ago, Cronky said:

We already have a world class manager.

I love him dearly and he’s really good but if Eddie is considered world class then the label has lost all meaning. 

12 hours ago, r0cafella said:

I love Callum but we missed the opportunity to let him go and book some FFP gains last summer. 

Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but players with extensive injury histories are a big drag on performance. 

I was suggesting getting rid of Wilson, Almiron and ASM in the summer. Peak resale value for all 3 and the club needed a new direction.

2 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

From 7:00 minutes.

The owners fully back Howe, in it for the long haul with Eddie, and believe he's the man to take the club forward and will stick together ❤️  cheers Keith

"unequivocally backed" Staveley 

Kiss of death.

2 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I was suggesting getting rid of Wilson, Almiron and ASM in the summer. Peak resale value for all 3 and the club needed a new direction.

IMO this would've been CRAZY.

You get no more than £20m for Wilson or Almiron. It would cost £30m just to replace as squad members each. I think that sends the wrong message too.

Almiron needed to be upgraded though.

All this peak FFP resale stuff I really think isn't helpful or entirely as accurate and as simple as people suggest. You have to replace a player with one of equal or better quality, but it will cost you more than what your selling. Our issue isn't the quality of 1st team, its the depth of it with quality. Even more so complicated with several legacy players on high wages and no way to sell on.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

You get no more than £20m for Wilson or Almiron. It would cost £30m just to replace as squad members each. I think that sends the wrong message too.

That isn’t how FFP works though.

We had reached a position where we had our hands tied due to being at the end of the 3 year FFP period but had more money coming in down the line, so selling was the only way of releasing that money early.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

:thup:

Almiron should have been second fiddle this season to a class RW/RF, the fact he is first choice again isn't his fault. He has a role for us, it just isn't evey week across multiple competitions.

We opted to double up on LW/LF side and guess we needed it with Barnes injury, but we badly need that equivolance or better the other side.

Just now, Matt1892 said:

We had reached a position where we had our hands tied due to being at the end of the 3 year FFP period but had more money coming in down the line, so selling was the only way of releasing that money early.

And unlocking money now only locks it later down the line. I swear people talk like selling and buying is so easy and is some FFP trick, but if it was that simple eveyone would be doing it. Only clubs I can think of that have sort of done it is Chelsea (and arguably has been done badly) or Forest (and its been risky and not always worked out i.e. Shelvey).

We do not need Almiron, Murphy and another wide player. That isn’t even including Minteh coming in at a later date.

You move on either Almiron or Murphy, financially it would make sense for it to be Almiron after the season over inflated his value. Then when Minteh comes in you move on Murphy

Just now, hakka said:

And unlocking money now only locks it later down the line. I swear people talk like selling and buying is so easy and is some FFP trick, but if it was that simple eveyone would be doing it. Only clubs I can think of that have sort of done it is Chelsea (and arguably has been done badly) or Forest (and it’s been risky and not always worked out i.e. Shelvey).

Other clubs are not in the same position that we are in though, our situation is quite unique.

Imo, the most recent example of a club breaking into and staying amongst the top teams is Spurs. 

To become a sustainably there-or-there-abouts team they sold Bale, Modric, Berbatov as part of the journey to name a few off just off the top of my head. That's how FFP is going to work for us, if we want the squad to get stronger and stronger in all positions, there might come a time when we just have to accept we might not be able to keep our current stars and we'll lose the likes of Bruno, Isak, Botman to fuel the growth and to reinvest to become established at the highest levels. 

To have a sustainable trajectory that takes us upwards, unless there's a way around FFP to directly inject money in, we'll have to sell these sorts of players at their maximum value and continue to find replacement players with the potential to grow with us in turn, thus increasing the overall squad value over time which will reflect in more points on the board at the end of each season.

We don't have the base level of squad quality outside our stars to sustain a galacticos-style approach to transfer strategy. Buying more players like Hall, Livramento and Gordon is definitely the way forward. We're just in a painful period at the moment where nothing is going right, but 2 years after the change in ownership from where we were to where we are now, all things considered, the trend line is definitely going firmly in the right direction.

No better manager for me than Eddie Howe at this stage of our journey. And maybe, even beyond.

8 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Summer 2023 Wilson had  £5m worth of FFP cost (based on a 4-year contract and £20m fee from Bournemouth) remaining and let's say £4m in wages p/a. Sell him for £20m that's (20-5) + 4. £19m FFP on the books.

Sign his replacement for £32m on a 4-year deal. Probably not a proven 10-15 goal PL striker to boot. Another 4m in wages p/a. That's £12m FFP on the books for 4 years. We only save £7m in FFP for a year.

As it stands we extended his contract by 2 years. So he's now booking £2.5m +£4m in wages p/a. That's 6.5m for 2 years rather than the £12m for 4 years for what is likely an unknown quantity with not the highest repute.

Keeping him and extending him was the right thing to do unless we could've got £30m+ for him.

Obviously I'm guessing his wages. Can't imagine he's earning much more than a million more or less per year.

17 minutes ago, hakka said:

And unlocking money now only locks it later down the line. I swear people talk like selling and buying is so easy and is some FFP trick, but if it was that simple eveyone would be doing it. Only clubs I can think of that have sort of done it is Chelsea (and arguably has been done badly) or Forest (and its been risky and not always worked out i.e. Shelvey).

And Forest sold Brennan their crown jewel. And will probably need to sell MGW next season.

18 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

We do not need Almiron, Murphy and another wide player. That isn’t even including Minteh coming in at a later date.

You move on either Almiron or Murphy, financially it would make sense for it to be Almiron after the season over inflated his value. Then when Minteh comes in you move on Murphy

You don't get serious money for Almiron or Murphy to help out with FFP significantly. You sell one to clear a squad place.

At the start of last season - I don't think we get a fee for either Murphy or Almiron. Given their ages and wages - you don't get much over £10m either unless Forest come calling.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Summer 2023 Wilson had  £5m worth of FFP cost (based on a 4-year contract and £20m fee from Bournemouth) remaining and let's say £4m in wages p/a. Sell him for £20m that's (20-5) + 4. £19m FFP on the books.

Sign his replacement for £32m on a 4-year deal. Probably not a proven 10-15 goal PL striker to boot. Another 4m in wages p/a. That's £12m FFP on the books for 4 years. We only save £7m in FFP for a year.

As it stands we extended his contract by 2 years. So he's now booking £2.5m +£4m in wages p/a. That's 6.5m for 2 years rather than the £12m for 4 years for what is likely an unknown quantity with not the highest repute.

Keeping him and extending him was the right thing to do unless we could've got £30m+ for him.

Obviously I'm guessing his wages. Can't imagine he's earning much more than a million more or less per year.

This is how I see it. This FFP selling stuff only works if you can sell an older first team asset for way over its value and bring in younger at same quality (or better) for cheaper fee/wages, which is incredibly difficult and rare, and no doubt why we haven't.