Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Squad rotation and injury management issues aside, I wouldn't swap Howe for any manager in the world. When we play our game to the best of our ability, there's very few teams at our level that plays as enjoyable/exciting football as us imo.

If we we can add players of better quality but same mentality to the squad, I think we will start winning stuff in the near future under Howe.

Added bonus that Howe is a great person. He's shown growth in his approach here from Bournemouth. I have confidence that we will end the season strong and that he can learn from his mistakes this season going into next season.

25 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Howe is a football purist, and clearly a decent man, and I like that about him.

But I know what a savvy operator like a Benitez or Mourinho etc would have done.  He’d have played kids in a game or two, and used it to make a point / take a shot at a chairman, owner, the FA, the PL - whoever.  It’s a more cynical approach, but it is what should have been done.

I wouldn’t swap Howe for Benitez or Mourinho mind (I’ve seen the daft rumours circulating).  But Howe could take an idea or two from them. 

100% agreed. I'm sure some managers would've done the same as Howe and with a little bit of luck (Chelsea QF, getting a result against Milan) it may have been worth it anyway.

but I reckon a lot of top managers would've done exactly as you've suggested. Dare I say, Howe with a bit more experience or nous at this elite level may have tinkered his approach slightly.

28 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Well, I'm angry. And not because Mourinho's in it, but because it degrades Howe.

Agreed.  And the culprit, whoever it is, is in this forum.  Naming no names - I don’t know any - but posters are dirty

Edited by TheBrownBottle

39 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Agreed.  And the culprit, whoever it is, is in this forum.  Naming no names - I don’t know any - but posters are dirty

Who else has posted this Mourinho filth?

Edited by MrRaspberryJam

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Howe is a football purist, and clearly a decent man, and I like that about him.

But I know what a savvy operator like a Benitez or Mourinho etc would have done.  He’d have played kids in a game or two, and used it to make a point / take a shot at a chairman, owner, the FA, the PL - whoever.  It’s a more cynical approach, but it is what should have been done.

I wouldn’t swap Howe for Benitez or Mourinho mind (I’ve seen the daft rumours circulating).  But Howe could take an idea or two from them. 

Putting aside the taking shots specifically at the board bit, I agree we should have played kids for one or two games in this run to give our main players the necessary recovery time. I'm sure we'd have come out with more points from Forest, Luton etc. Instead, the maximalist approach has exhausted everyone and we have no more to show for it.

6 minutes ago, 80 said:

Putting aside the taking shots specifically at the board bit, I agree we should have played kids for one or two games in this run to give our main players the necessary recovery time. I'm sure we'd have come out with more points from Forest, Luton etc. Instead, the maximalist approach has exhausted everyone and we have no more to show for it.

Tbf, I didn’t mean our board - just a general point that a Mourinho or Benitez would have used it to take aim at whoever they thought either wasn’t backing them or was blocking them.  I don’t think Howe would’ve been justified at having a pop at NUFC’s board 

Aye - they would be dragging PSR & FFP every week for the last 2 months.

I don't think the club want to take that approach publicly. But they would have put it on the agenda in the media. Likewise they would've been vocal about the PL purposely trying to implement laws to specifically halt Newcastle's progress.

That might not be the best approach. It probably isn't. But it would be on the media agenda more. I'm hearing more outlets talk about FFP drawing up the bridge to success though so our approach is working.. it's just a long-term approach.

I think Eddie's approach to most of these issues is extremely admirable. He's pushing at an open door with me when it comes to things like blaming mental fatigue - something players can attempt to control - rather than physical exhaustion, which it's easier to excuse surrendering to, and lets defeatism creep through the door.

But the problem is that attitude can be gamed by others when they're actively out to fuck you.

Another problem with it is you're at risk of undermining your credibility when you refuse to acknowledge how badly things are stacked against you and insist maximising your approach to everything. To be clear, I don't think Howe has done that to himself with our players, which is the most important thing, but there is a risk of the dam breaking if it's not managed very carefully.

Games like Bournemouth and Luton, I'm sure the players knew in themselves they just had no more to offer, but they apparently internalised that and took the blame themselves for it rather than blaming their manager or whatnot - which again, is extremely admirable and gold dust really, when it comes to building a team's mentality.

1 hour ago, 80 said:

Which games should we have played our stiffs and effectively chucked the game?  Considering our U23's are not even very good in the league they play in.  We would get absolutely massacred whoever they played against, I would say.  Are you suggesting we might have got a draw or a win against someone like Luton or Forest if we played the likes of Ndiweni, Alex Murphy, Diallo, Parkinson etc.  They have looked slower and less mobile than the lads who were playing through injuries and/or 3 games a week. 

I often find myself calling for changes when watching us of late.  Then realise we have a load of defensive options on the bench and it isn't our defenders who constantly look out on their feet.  There actually has been a bit of rotation there and all.  Some enforced through yet more injuries, of course. 

Then we have Matt Ritchie who I'm not sure touched the ball for the best part of a half against Chelsea.  He is that far off the pace.  Who is there after that that could have come in and actually done a job?  Even if they were at 100%.

The only one that still has me totally confused is Hall.  He really is a pointless signing if he can't get the odd start or 30 minutes here and there.  Especially during the worst injury crisis I can remember at the club and is supposedly on track to go down as the worst in PL history.  It makes me think there might be some truth in the playing time rumour and obligation to buy. 

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

Which games should we have played our stiffs and effectively chucked the game?  Considering our U23's are not even very good in the league they play in.  We would get absolutely massacred whoever they played against, I would say.  Are you suggesting we might have got a draw or a win against someone like Luton or Forest if we played the likes of Ndiweni, Alex Murphy, Diallo, Parkinson etc.  They have looked slower and less mobile than the lads who were playing through injuries and/or 3 games a week. 

I often find myself calling for changes when watching us of late.  Then realise we have a load of defensive options on the bench and it isn't our defenders who constantly look out on their feet.  There actually has been a bit of rotation there and all.  Some enforced through yet more injuries, of course. 

Then we have Matt Ritchie who I'm not sure touched the ball for the best part of a half against Chelsea.  He is that far off the pace.  Who is there after that that could have come in and actually done a job?  Even if they were at 100%.

The only one that still has me totally confused is Hall.  He really is a pointless signing if he can't get the odd start or 30 minutes here and there.  Especially during the worst injury crisis I can remember at the club and is supposedly on track to go down as the worst in PL history.  It makes me think there might be some truth in the playing time rumour and obligation to buy. 

No no, I'm saying our proper first team would've won against, say, Luton if they hadn't been out on their feet and had fully prepared beforehand. I assume the kids would've lost their game, but it's a game we lost anyway, and it would've given players like Almiron, Isak, Gordon and Joelinton a breather, the chance to do some proper tactical training, and we would've had a stronger chance of coming out of a 2 game run with 3 points rather than none at all and additional injury risk.

The same would apply to Eddie who I suspect is trying to cram his entire pre-match scouting and prep methodology into 3 days which, after a while, is going to become lower quality as a result. Maybe if he let Tindall or Jones handle 80% of everything for one match while he focused on the match after it'd work out better. Just an idea, but he says himself he struggles with delegation.

In terms of specifically which games we ought to have rested key players, I'd have to have a look at the fixture list, but off the top of my head, Bournemouth, Everton, Tottenham and Luton stand out as possibilities. Games it quickly became obvious we were losing from the first whistle.

I realise it's uber shit to halfway concede a game before it starts, but I think Eddie and the players had enough credit in the bank to do it and could've, as the others were saying, made a big stink about our predicament to create even more of a siege mentality. As the saying goes, a stitch in time might've saved nine.

You're right about the defence being better rested by the way, so it wouldn't have had to have been an all novice team, which would've increased the chance of a cup win-style result or at least some lessons being learned about what certain kids could offer in a pinch. Basically, assume the worst, support them to the max and maybe get a nice surprise e.g. Hall taking on responsibility because he knows the result is on him as an important part of that eleven.

Edited by 80

Again. Which games before Luton and Forest were we ever going to just rest 4-5 first teamers or more and replace them with players that will probably be League Two level at best in

the coming years? 

Fulham - our only league win during this horrendous run. 

Everton - we got hammered 3-0 in the end with our ‘first team’ out

Spurs - as above. But 4-1. 

Milan - obviously not. 
Chelsea - that would have went down well in a Quarter Final. 

Earlier than that?

So 1-2 games should basically be forfeited so that we may or may not get positive results in some games after that. 

I’m sorry, but that sounds ridiculous even when using hindsight. 

Edit - just seen Bournemouth and Luton in there. So play the kids/sub them all on and chuck the game as we were obviously going to lose anyway :lol: I can’t believe what I’m reading here. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

Great post @80

Any fixture at any point of the season (besides the CL fixtures) he could've used injuries, fatigue, overload, thin squad, fixture congestion as a reason to field youngsters that he knows aren't at the level.

Yes, that would almost be conceding a match before a ball has been kicked. But as you say - he's earned enough credit to be trusted in his judgement to protect players. He's dug himself a hole. There's never a good time to rotate, you just have to bite the bullet. This started from August btw - it requires management to be proactive.

I've just discovered this article and it is so relevant it's crazy. It's about Rafa's rotation policy here and it uses Eddie Howe's Bournemouth as an example of a successful team/manager that doesn't rotate. It's further proof that the lack of rotation is at least partly designed rather than simply caused by injuries.

https://www.themag.co.uk/2016/09/science-thinking-behind-rotation-rafa-benitez-newcastle-united/

"So far so good for the “rotationists”, yet when I looked at the stats for Matt Ritchie, (NUFC’s stand out player this season) in his previous Championship campaign with Bournemouth, I was surprised to find that not only did Matt play 46 games in the promotion winning side of 2014/15 but that a large number of his colleagues featured heavily in the high end 30+ games column as well.

In fact no fewer than 10 players started in 38 games or more during Eddie Howe’s promotion winning campaign

Ritchie, Matt     MF Right-midfield    46

Cook, S     DF Centre-back    46

Elphick     DF Centre-back    46

Wilson, C     FW Striker        45

Arter         MF Box2Box MFr    43

Daniels, C     DF Left-back        42

Francis, S     DF Right-back        42

Pugh, M     MF Left-midfield    42

Surman, A     MF Midfield         41

Kermorgant     MF Attacking MF/St    38

That represents almost an entire team except for a keeper and Boruc arrived in September 2014 and still managed 37 games in the whole season."

Callum Wilson started 45 league games that season (checked this on whoscored, Ritchie started 44, came off the bench twice) - the idea of that seems crazy atp.

Edited by The College Dropout

So in conclusion, with the benefit of hindsight and without any of the knowledge and information Howe had at his disposal, we should have fielded a partial amount or a full team of youngsters, to give the first team an extra two to three days rest and hope it was sufficient to recharge the batteries?

Edited by The Prophet

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

So in conclusion, with the benefit of hindsight and without any of the knowledge and information Howe had at his disposal, we should have fielded a partial amount or a first team of youngsters, to give the first team an extra two to three days rest and hope it was sufficient to recharge the batteries?

Yes. Lose today. So that we may or may not win the next one. 

We will deliberately lose the battle and then we might win the war. Fuck knows. 

40 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

So in conclusion, with the benefit of hindsight and without any of the knowledge and information Howe had at his disposal, we should have fielded a partial amount or a full team of youngsters, to give the first team an extra two to three days rest and hope it was sufficient to recharge the batteries?

Some of us were saying this at the time tbf

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Some of us were saying this at the time tbf

:thup:

Eddie's rotation policy is up for debate, but whether it would have had any impact on our plight is difficult to gauge.

The conversation is often framed very factually, when there's a hell of a lot of nuance involved.

IWho were we supposed to rotate these players with? 

If we want to use hindsight. Then earlier in the season when games were won or at least when we had options. Changing the starting XI around or making subs earlier would have been nice. Plenty mentioned that at the time, TBF. Might have meant we avoided some of these injuries and the burnout. Who knows. 

If anyone was genuinely advocating starting the kids and by their own admission. Effectively throwing the game. Then thank fuck they’re not in charge. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Great post @80

Any fixture at any point of the season (besides the CL fixtures) he could've used injuries, fatigue, overload, thin squad, fixture congestion as a reason to field youngsters that he knows aren't at the level.

Yes, that would almost be conceding a match before a ball has been kicked. But as you say - he's earned enough credit to be trusted in his judgement to protect players. He's dug himself a hole. There's never a good time to rotate, you just have to bite the bullet. This started from August btw - it requires management to be proactive.

I've just discovered this article and it is so relevant it's crazy. It's about Rafa's rotation policy here and it uses Eddie Howe's Bournemouth as an example of a successful team/manager that doesn't rotate. It's further proof that the lack of rotation is at least partly designed rather than simply caused by injuries.

https://www.themag.co.uk/2016/09/science-thinking-behind-rotation-rafa-benitez-newcastle-united/

"So far so good for the “rotationists”, yet when I looked at the stats for Matt Ritchie, (NUFC’s stand out player this season) in his previous Championship campaign with Bournemouth, I was surprised to find that not only did Matt play 46 games in the promotion winning side of 2014/15 but that a large number of his colleagues featured heavily in the high end 30+ games column as well.

In fact no fewer than 10 players started in 38 games or more during Eddie Howe’s promotion winning campaign

Ritchie, Matt     MF Right-midfield    46

Cook, S     DF Centre-back    46

Elphick     DF Centre-back    46

Wilson, C     FW Striker        45

Arter         MF Box2Box MFr    43

Daniels, C     DF Left-back        42

Francis, S     DF Right-back        42

Pugh, M     MF Left-midfield    42

Surman, A     MF Midfield         41

Kermorgant     MF Attacking MF/St    38

That represents almost an entire team except for a keeper and Boruc arrived in September 2014 and still managed 37 games in the whole season."

Callum Wilson started 45 league games that season (checked this on whoscored, Ritchie started 44, came off the bench twice) - the idea of that seems crazy atp.

This suggests that Eddie does in fact play his best 11 regardless of fatigue?

Just now, The Prophet said:

:thup:

Eddie's rotation policy is up for debate, but whether it would have had any impact on our plight is difficult to gauge.

The conversation is often framed very factually, when there's a hell of a lot of nuance involved.

You’re right, it’s definitely not a black and white thing we’re dealing with - for me, it was the Everton and Spurs games where I thought defeat looked inevitable and playing kids & stiffs might’ve been a help, allowing the players some respite.  But it’s impossible to know if that would have worked or what the consequences would have been.

I do though think it likely that a more experienced and cynical manager may have taken that sort of approach. 

10 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

So in conclusion, with the benefit of hindsight and without any of the knowledge and information Howe had at his disposal, we should have fielded a partial amount or a first team of youngsters, to give the first team an extra two to three days rest and hope it was sufficient to recharge the batteries?

Personally, I'm pretty sure I posted here in early December that the whole month gonna be a write off, and I'm not known for being pessimistic. I thought it was blatantly obvious nothing would change - without a change in approach - given the nature of the injuries and density of the workload.

I wasn't in the habit of shouting about it because you're right, I didn't have inside knowledge of Howe's mind and the training data we had. But as it happens, using the info I did have, I was right. I don't especially blame Howe or anyone for how things have turned out either. It was a shit situation, and it's pretty clear he'd have had some fans all over him had he tried anything other than to win every single game.

All the same, if your car battery is flat, you don't generally want to turn the radio on and turn the engine over a few times just to make sure it won't start. Lush earlier pointed out we lost lots of games by a big margin with our first team. Well, exactly, so there wasn't much to lose through not fielding them, right?

According to Howe, a bigger gap between games would've meant improved performances thanks to rest and proper training. I believe him. Instead we got multiple spankings and extra wear and tear which has possibly set us further back with the likes of Joelinton.

1 minute ago, Lush Vlad said:

If we want to use hindsight. Then earlier in the season when games were won or at least when we had options. Changing the starting XI around or making subs earlier. Plenty mentioned that at the time. Might have meant we avoided some of these injuries and the burnout. Who knows. 

If anyone was genuinely advocating starting the kids and by their own admission. Effectively throwing the game. Then thank fuck they’re not in charge. 

I agree with this. In a managers remit there is no way he had any way of throwing a game but chucking the kids in.

Just was never going to happen. He could have made more substitutes earlier possibly but then would we have won the games we did.

We would never know. We just have to accept that this season we have been very unlucky with injuries and we where not equipped to deal with 6 extra champions league games.

3 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

If we want to use hindsight. Then earlier in the season when games were won or at least when we had options. Changing the starting XI around or making subs earlier would

have been nice. Plenty mentioned that at the time, TBF. Might have meant we avoided some of these injuries and the burnout. Who knows. 

Again, it’s not hindsight if this is what you suggested at the time.  

Reserves and kids is who you’d replace them with, rather than first teamers who could hardly jog.  You cynically take a likely hammering and move on. 

edit: we’ve lost six of the last seven league games.  Not sure that ‘throwing the game’ would’ve resulted in fewer points.  

Edited by TheBrownBottle

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Again, it’s not hindsight if this is what you suggested at the time.  

Reserves and kids is who you’d replace them with, rather than first teamers who could hardly jog.  You cynically take a likely hammering and move on. 

I was meaning applying hindsight to say we should have rotated and it would have meant we have less of an injury crisis now. That’s impossible to quantify, though. We did have players available to rotate at least and I remember a few saying in games like Burnley (I think). We should have rested key players earlier. 

However, I 100% don’t agree with chucking in players nobody has ever heard of, into a game that would see us absolutely destroyed. In the hope that we might get a result in a game a few days later. I don’t get that logic at all. 

Have you seen Diallo, Ritchie, Ndiweni and Parkinson when they’ve come on? They’re less effective than our lads that are fucked and they’re fresh off the bench. 

Throw in the fact that they’re clearly nowhere near good enough and don’t know the system as well (I’m assuming that part). Then it is easy to see why they weren’t starting games. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

1 minute ago, Lush Vlad said:

I was meaning applying hindsight to say we should have rotated and it would have meant we have less of an injury crisis now. That’s impossible to quantify, though. We did have players available to rotate at least and I remember a few saying in games like Burnley (I think). We should have rested key players earlier. 

However, I 100% don’t agree with chucking in players nobody has ever heard of, into a game that would see us absolutely destroyed. In the hope that we might get a result in a game a few days later. I don’t get that logic at all. 

Fair enough - it does have a long history at this club tbf.  The 1-9 home defeat to the Mackems in 1908 was off the back of a switch to a reserve XI for a league game …