Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

The only possible way he goes to England is if the FA give him an ultimatum - 'take it now or we'll never ask you again' 

Highly, highly unlikely they'll do that or that he'll go. Can never say 100% but I'd be astonished, and canny disappointed, if he gave up what he's got here for the England role

9 minutes ago, midds said:

The only possible way he goes to England is if the FA give him an ultimatum - 'take it now or we'll never ask you again' 

Highly, highly unlikely they'll do that or that he'll go. Can never say 100% but I'd be astonished, and canny disappointed, if he gave up what he's got here for the England role

Close to zero chance imo but it's sometimes hard to tell if it's my b&w bias.

5 minutes ago, Pata said:

Oh, thanks.

:)

I mean, it isn’t though.  The conveyor belt of footballing talent isn’t guaranteed at international level - Brazil, Italy, Germany, Holland etc are all particularly weak atm, yet if you said that ten years ago it would seem crackers.

And Howe won’t know how his reputation will stand in a few years’ time.  

Edited by TheBrownBottle

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I mean, it isn’t though.  The conveyor belt of footballing talent isn’t guaranteed at international level - Brazil, Italy, Germany, Holland etc are all particularly weak atm, yet if you said that ten years ago it would seem crackers.

Obviously it's only me guessing. My point was that IMO he could easily wait say four years in which point he would've been with us for a very long time and possibly look for a new challenge. It's very likely he would still be one of the hottest English managers and the squad could actually only be stronger with only Kane probably done (Bellingham, Foden, Saka, Gordon, Palmer, Mainoo at their prime and even Rice would still only be 29). I'm certain he has the self confidence to think he's not a busted flush in a 4 to 8 year range and he still sees NUFC as unfinished business.

25 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

To play devil's advocate, he could go to England, struggle and he might not be able to land himself another top eight top flight gig again.

30 minutes ago, Pixelphish said:

Close to zero chance imo but it's sometimes hard to tell if it's my b&w bias.

I don't think it's bias. If Potter had still been at Chelsea, for example, nobody would really entertain the thought of him leaving them for England. At the very least it would be a major suprise if it happend. 

International management is a graveyard these days. It's rare now to see managers at the top of their game going into it. 

9 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

To play devil's advocate, he could go to England, struggle and he might not be able to land himself another top eight top flight gig again.

Yep, definitely.  I think Howe’s a smart bloke and won’t just take anything as an assumptive.

I still think England appoints either Potter or Carsley, as the FA will baulk at the idea of paying Howe’s likely substantial release fee.  But I don’t think it’s a given that he just turns the job down because he’s got unfinished business at Newcastle.  He might have always dreamed of the England job.  I mean, I wouldn’t swap NUFC for England, but that’s me. 

3 minutes ago, andycap said:

He would get another job in the top 10 easy. What he done in his first year won't be forgotten. 

1 minute ago, andycap said:

Is Potter actually any good? They reckon he's barely on the training pitch and doesn't instruct his players well. That's why the Chelsea players wanted rid. 

Looks like Potter’s achievements were quickly forgotten …

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

Controversial if he did leave (I don't think for one he will and for two the FA would pay the fee), would it be any different to what Ashworth did?

Yes, very much. He’s not jumping ship to a rival but to the national team of his country. Not that I think it will happen.

9 minutes ago, Pata said:

Yes, very much. He’s not jumping ship to a rival but to the national team of his country. Not that I think it will happen.

Plus the manner in which it would be done, and the shelf life of the two job roles.

1 hour ago, midds said:

I'm really not worrying about this, but if it did happen I would be disappointed, but not necessarily in Eddie. I think I'd be looking back at the Amanda situation first etc. 

Personally though, I'm convinced he's fully focused on the story that's left to be written here. As someone else said, he'd be looking to make any rejection as sensitively and diplomatically as possible, however, so we shouldn't be expecting a big immediate announcement that he has zero interest.

28 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I do find it amusing that absolutely no one had a clue that he'd signed a contract extension, but they're aware he's open to the England job.

£15m towards ffp?