Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

58 minutes ago, Nine said:

Howe and Stavely clicked so well because they were happy for Howe to have a lot of control which suits him as he is a ‘club’ manager, it’s what he did at Bournemouth also. 

Mitchell coming in and the management revamp that saw Stavely and Mehrdad leave has curtailed Howes influence, and in the long term it will end up making the most sense as no top clubs are run by one man anymore. I’m not sure Howe will be able to get onboard and work with the likes of Mitchell and if he can’t then it’s best for everyone if he moves on, as if the club wants to really compete with the best then it can’t be moulded in the vision of the coach. 

And anyway, a lot of this hierarchy stuff will be media noise.. but it’s clear from things Howe has said that he’s not totally happy and he’s lost a degree of control. Not the end of the world, the real issue is what’s going on on the pitch. 

I read a news article that summarized Mitchell's interview. I don't think he said anything wrong, but I wonder why your backroom staff is talking to the media so much. Edwards has been at LFC for over ten years now. I don't remember a single media interview or press conference he gave. When he left, he wrote a letter to the fans on the LFC website. When he returned, it was announced on our official website, and there was no welcome-back interview or anything. He got about doing his job.

Hughes was present at the press conference introducing Arne Slott, but he was there to introduce Arne and tell everyone to direct all questions regarding signings to him. After that, we have not heard from Hughes either. 

10 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

I read a news article that summarized Mitchell's interview. I don't think he said anything wrong, but I wonder why your backroom staff is talking to the media so much. Edwards has been at LFC for over ten years now. I don't remember a single media interview or press conference he gave. When he left, he wrote a letter to the fans on the LFC website. When he returned, it was announced on our official website, and there was no welcome-back interview or anything. He got about doing his job.

Hughes was present at the press conference introducing Arne Slott, but he was there to introduce Arne and tell everyone to direct all questions regarding signings to him. After that, we have not heard from Hughes either. 

That's because there was nothing wrong with what Mitchell said.

But the fans are running with the villain narrative because Howe can apparently do no wrong, and should be allowed to do as he pleases.

5 hours ago, LFEE said:

Man City judgement a week away. Let’s see what happens with that and what if any effect it has.

None of those are affected by the Man City case - they could have done any of them with zero impact on FFP.  To date, they’ve done nothing.  

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

That's because there was nothing wrong with what Mitchell said.

But the fans are running with the villain narrative because Howe can apparently do no wrong, and should be allowed to do as he pleases.

No, they're reacting naturally to the things he said in his interview. Your insistance on presenting anyone who has a problem with what Mitchell said as doing so for dishonest reasons is insufferable. 

People have their own intuition and take on something that has no defined truth to it, get over yourself. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

No, they're reacting naturally to the things he said in his interview. Your insistance on presenting anyone who has a problem with what Mitchell said as doing so for dishonest reasons is insufferable. 

People have their own intuition and take on something that has no defined truth to it, get over yourself. 

You get over yourself, and stop crying and whining because I don't agree with you. It's pathetic.

You don't see me bitching about your opinion on the matter and your going on about how much you hate Mitchell and Eales all the time.

Grow up!

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

You get over yourself, and stop crying and whining because I don't agree with you. It's pathetic.

You don't see me bitching about your opinion on the matter and your going on about how much you hate Mitchell and Eales all the time.

Grow up!

Everyone does see you bitching KaKa, that's the point, being a drama queen while complaining about others being dramatic is your M.O :lol:

Respectfully disagreeing is what everyone else is doing. Pretending that people are disagreeing with you because they're stupid, mislead, are taking sides is what you're doing, big difference. 

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Everyone does see you bitching KaKa, that's the point, being a drama queen while complaining about others being dramatic is your M.O :lol:

Respectfully disagreeing is what everyone else is doing. Pretending that people are disagreeing with you because they're stupid, mislead, are taking sides is what you're doing, big difference. 

If you can't handle seeing my opinion on the matter use the block button. 

I don't have time for these personal back and forths and bickering over some bullshit.

It's not your opinion on the matter I take issue with, it's your constant misrepresentation of the opinions of me and others who disagree.

Maybe you should take your own advice and ignore if you can't accept an opposing opinion at face value and have to resort to that. As long as you keep doing it I'll keep pulling you up, sorry.

3 hours ago, rgk_lfc said:

I wonder why your backroom staff is talking to the media so much.

Fans demanding transparency.

Fans demanding blood after one sub-par transfer window, so Mitchell is thrown to the wolves after not fixing all our issues within 2 months of joining the club.

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

If you can't handle seeing my opinion on the matter use the block button. 

I don't have time for these personal back and forths and bickering over some bullshit.

In fairness you’ve gone from being positive and pro-Eddie to exceedingly pro Mitchell/the structure essentially overnight. It’s pretty jarring. 

12 hours ago, gbandit said:

I’d be reducing my engagement with the club if Howe were to get pushed out in favour of Mitchell. My interest has been transformed since Howe came in and while Amanda and Mehrdad were here. If we lose Howe I’ll still have a strong connection to a lot of the players but I’ll have a real issue feeling positive about the ownership and senior management and their choices about future managers 

This is partly why I want Howe to succeed, don't be stubborn, evolve and be here for many more years.

Because as soon as he goes, we'll be into chopping and changing manager mode. Where yeah, it may see the club move forward, eventually win something, but if it's through a guy that's been there 12 months and gone 6 later, what connection is there? Just feels better when it's with someone you've gone through the journey with and eventually got there.

Like I can't even imagine what the Atalanta fans felt with winning Europa under Gasperini. Like 7+ years of him? Continuous journey, no trophies, but then they finally got one and fans will remember that for their life.

Chelsea won Europa with Rafa, and despise him. Just don't want that feeling here.

11 hours ago, rgk_lfc said:

Probably because your guys weren’t following on from Mike Ashley, where it was pretty much a media blackout from the club. 

20 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

This is partly why I want Howe to succeed, don't be stubborn, evolve and be here for many more years.

Because as soon as he goes, we'll be into chopping and changing manager mode. Where yeah, it may see the club move forward, eventually win something, but if it's through a guy that's been there 12 months and gone 6 later, what connection is there? Just feels better when it's with someone you've gone through the journey with and eventually got there.

Like I can't even imagine what the Atalanta fans felt with winning Europa under Gasperini. Like 7+ years of him? Continuous journey, no trophies, but then they finally got one and fans will remember that for their life.

Chelsea won Europa with Rafa, and despise him. Just don't want that feeling here.

Yeah, great post, reflects my feelings exactly.

That said, I probably wouldn't automatically take @gbandit's position if Howe were to lose his job. Hopefully it doesn't come to pass but it's plausible that changing manager is in the best interests of the club; I'd be gutted that it didn't work out, but would respect the decision if the evidence was there that we're not progressing. 

It would have to be a pretty high bar, though. I feel like he's earned a shot at both cups, even if our league form falters.

That Chelsea model is a dying one. 

Even Real Madrid have had the same 2 managers for most of the last 10 years. Winning 6 CLs. 

Guardiola, Klopp, Arteta - the best managers are getting longer tenures. Going back to Madrid - this will be Ancelotti’s longest job in about 20 years. 

It will be interesting to see how PIF move with managers.  FSG are patient. Arsenal have Shown patience. Levy and Chelsea have been trigger happy. I hope PIF are the type of owners that give managers the season.  Even Roman liked to give managers the full season. 

Edited by The College Dropout

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It's chicken and egg though right? The best managers might just get a longer tenure because they're the best managers. 

Arsenal fans were calling for artetas head many times during his 1st season. 

5 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Arsenal fans were calling for artetas head many times during his 1st season. 

I remember Piers Morgan constantly calling for his head and everyone knows his opinion is sensible and balanced 

19 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It's chicken and egg though right? The best managers might just get a longer tenure because they're the best managers. 

Aye. 

But Arteta in particular would’ve been sacked by most owners.  

In his first full season they finished 8th. And he wanted to bin off the star players. 

And Ancelotti got sacked by Real the first time for finishing 2nd/3rd and getting to CL semi. He did that again in his second term and was nowhere near getting sacked. He also Got sacked from Chelsea for finishing 2nd. it’s a different era now. Managerial requirements are so specific these days. 

It helps that there’s a dearth of elite managers that deliver in the short term. And the 2 I can think of - Tuchel and Conte - are notoriously tough to work with.  

On 22/09/2024 at 10:05, Cronky said:

Firstly, I apologise for my initial response, which wasn't very constructive. 

Your comment  - 'The PL - outside the top three - isn’t all that great atm' did get me going, though I think I disagreed with pretty much all the points you were making. 

If you were to hypothetically measure the quality of all the Premiership squads, ours would be in the bottom half IMO.

In what planet? Our front 3 is top 4 worthy when in form, same with our midfield.

Our defence with Botman back is top 6 quality.

Howe achieving top 6 with this squad is about right - him achieving 7th last year with the injury crisis he overperformed, same as when he got 4th.

Edited by Menace

23 minutes ago, Menace said:

Howe achieving top 6 with this squad is about right

I suppose I'm not exactly a neutral, but I see Howe getting top 6 with your squad as a good season. Your first eleven is strong, but the "big 6" sides have better strength in depth. 

I read a few posts recently that if Howe didn't get top 6 he should be sacked. Found it a bit mental to be honest.