Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Amazing how the rumours went from being after Piatek, to being after Giroud on loan, and then to Glenn Murray on loan.

Its just so NUFC under Ashley, and you just know it'll be Murray we'll sign on loan, on deadline day.

And Joeshinton will still start.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Piatek - 6 yard box striker. Pointless in our system

Giroud - perfect for our system. But why didn't we just fucking buy Rondon?!

Murray - fuck off. Would sign Bill Murray,  at least he'd be funny

Batshuayi - can't hold the ball up, therefore pointless

Based on this stunning analysis, giroud is the only one of the linked players who actually fits how we attempt to play. We need a target man who can run, who holds on to the ball and brings others into play. Basically Rondon.  With that sort of player in the side, Joe Lintons can then play wide in a three - a position he actually knows how to play.

We'll sign will grigg

Piatek - 6 yard box striker. Pointless in our system

Giroud - perfect for our system. But why didn't we just fucking buy Rondon?!

Murray - fuck off. Would sign Bill Murray,  at least he'd be funny

Batshuayi - can't hold the ball up, therefore pointless

Based on this stunning analysis, giroud is the only one of the linked players who actually fits how we attempt to play. We need a target man who can run, who holds on to the ball and brings others into play. Basically Rondon.  With that sort of player in the side, Joe Lintons can then play wide in a three - a position he actually knows how to play.

Good breakdown tbf.

i remain unconvinced that "our system", such as it is, is all about booting it up to a big man when ASM and Almiron are both on the pitch, if that's the road you go down i think you take away ASM's impact in particular

unless the argument is being made that we should be going to a giroud type up top and playing it more direct, but that's different i think

i remain unconvinced that "our system", such as it is, is all about booting it up to a big man when ASM and Almiron are both on the pitch, if that's the road you go down i think you take away ASM's impact in particular

unless the argument is being made that we should be going to a giroud type up top and playing it more direct, but that's different i think

We defend so deep and when we win the ball back we are not good enough to play the ball out from those areas and so we usually play a long ball up to the striker to relieve pressure.

A strong target man that can get possession of the ball and drop it off to either ASM or Miggy would be what would help improve things, is what people are thinking.

Yes occasionally we'll be able to get the ball straight to ASM and Miggy to transition if those options are available, and so it would be a mixture of both.

At the moment though, if we can't find ASM or Miggy to advance the ball with their dribbling, we just end up punting it long for it to come straight back at us and the pressure builds and builds.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Our system is about shifting from back to front as quickly as possible - direct,  counter-attack. We basically need a striker who does exactly what rondon did last season. ASM's impact consists of some lovely dribbles from deep.  If you play with a striker who allows you to retain the ball higher up the pitch you'd envisage  more scenarios where your genuine attackers have opportunities to use the ball in more dangerous areas for the opposition

Our system is about shifting from back to front as quickly as possible - direct,  counter-attack. We basically need a striker who does exactly what rondon did last season. ASM's impact consists of some lovely dribbles from deep.  If you play with a striker who allows you to retain the ball higher up the pitch you'd envisage  more scenarios where your genuine attackers have opportunities to use the ball in more dangerous areas for the opposition

Yep.

No surprise the football brains of Ashley, Charnley, Nickson didn’t know that though.

yeah i understand what both of you are saying but it won't work :lol:

instead of ASM or Almiron carrying the ball 40 yards to find themselves & Joelinton isolated from the entire team you're hoping that a 40 yard hoof to Giroud would somehow lead to those three somehow not being isolated from the team...we'll still have the same setup and static CMs

the answer is not hoofball, the best we've looked all season is when ASM takes 2-3 players out creating space for others with his runs from deep, if you cut that avenue out we'll be even easier to defend against imo

Yep ASM has been carrying this team. He makes space for willems to get in behind and also carries us up the pitch for longstaff Shelvey etc to get up around the oppositions box. Without him we would be in the bottom 3 now imo.

Sure I seen a stat with us and without him and it backed that up

:thup:

i get the idea the others are saying, hoofs up to giroud who'd hold it and ASM/almiron join the attack - way too predictable in this day and age, plus giroud would basically need to be peak shearer for it ever to work

we'd be as well going for batshuyi and aiming for an improved ground game, at least that might result in the team moving further up the pitch if we work the ball better

Guest NobbyOhNobby

yeah i understand what both of you are saying but it won't work :lol:

instead of ASM or Almiron carrying the ball 40 yards to find themselves & Joelinton isolated from the entire team you're hoping that a 40 yard hoof to Giroud would somehow lead to those three somehow not being isolated from the team...we'll still have the same setup and static CMs

the answer is not hoofball, the best we've looked all season is when ASM takes 2-3 players out creating space for others with his runs from deep, if you cut that avenue out we'll be even easier to defend against imo

Do you remember the second half of last season? That's how it 'should' work. Direct football towards strong centre forward with two supporting players. The centre of midfield aren't there to score goals in this approach. Obviously we don't have Rafa, Rondon or Perez, but the theory is proved in that that's exactly how we played then, and exactly how we're attempting (poorly) to play now. ASM has been our shining light by default. I wouldn't choose to base my whole approach around him when the team is not capable of playing through him successfully. That's borne out in the fact that his number of goals, assists and chances created are low. If we had a centre forward who worked in this approach I'd imagine ASM and Alan Miron will be far more influential