Newcastle United Women - Champions and Promoted

toontownman

Just now, Fezzle said:

Fuck she's had no luck the last year or so

Thing is she's normally always fit!! 

Her girlfriend has just left the NWSL and joined West Ham so they could live together, bet she'll be regretting that decision!!

This forum is never the best for screenshots, but here's the updated table, if you can see it:

nuw.thumb.png.96086dee79658c3c6dff97572df45a74.png

Results grid hasn't updated today's results, Newcastle 7 Halifax 0, Forest 3 WBA 0, Wolves 1 Burnley 2.

nuw2.thumb.png.61e7dbde812e81930f7462792d2eb2eb.png

Out next 2 fixtures are at home, Forest and then Wolves, so both big games, and then after that, only 3 of our remaining 9 fixtures will be at home. If they are thinking of a SJP match then it'll probably be one of Huddersfield, Liverpool Feds (who they battled for the title a couple of years ago) or Derby. Still got to play Wolves home and away.

I guess there could be an opportunity for a cup game at SJP, as I'm sure one of the two (competitive) matches we played at SJP was a cup match, and if we did somehow beat or draw Man Utd in the FA Cup, then the Forest and Wolves matches might then be rearranged. We're away to Fylde in the League Cup in 3 weeks, so should win that considering they are bottom of the league and we beat them 11-3 and 4-0 in the league, but not sure what stage that is at, and if there is potential for a home match in the following round.

The Man Utd match next week is on Sunday at 12pm and on the 'FA Player'. All FA Cup matches are on there, bar Durham vs Man City which is on BBC iPlayer / Red Button and I assume that's therefore probably deemed the tie of the round.

Edited by Paullow

Always think Lee and co do a good job in promoting the women's team, and his videos, especially before the matches became available to stream on YouTube, definitely increased my interest. They do get really good access with all the interviews.

Watched the game back last night. Some of our players just take the piss at that level. Barker looks like Messi whenever she gets the ball. At one point the full back got so sick of her she basically just smacked her in the face to bring her down for what should've been a pen :lol:.

Boddy and McQuade physically and technically dominant all game too. 

For more regular watchers, how many of the team could hang in the Championship if they go up? Really has looked like women against girls every time I've tuned in.

23 hours ago, iklgizmo said:

Really suprised there hasn't been anything announced for a game at St James, they've definitely missed an opportunity to build some momentum there!

In separate women's news (not sure where to put it) Sam Kerr has done her ACL!! Huge blow for her, for Chelsea, and for Australia!!

I forgot it was actually 3 proper matches at SJP, thought it was just the 2, 4 inc the friendly, so like circa Apr 2022, Dec 22, Apr 23, so definitely die another. You'd think they'd be all over it now that they are pro, at a higher level, and generally feel more integrated with the wider club with NUW players featured in the kit launches, Xmas hospital visits, Fenwick announcement etc. I'm sure they will end up having one, but it would be really disappointing if there was no SJP match this season.

On 08/01/2024 at 15:44, wormy said:

For more regular watchers, how many of the team could hang in the Championship if they go up? Really has looked like women against girls every time I've tuned in.

Quite a few of the new recruits have played at that level, or above, in the past. Some of the younger players have played at that level, or above, and 'come down' to Newcastle. The key would not be the 'hang in', as the present players would probably survive in the division (just) but they aim to win it and be in the WSL (which the current squad would be unlikely to do). Sunderland beat them in pre-season. There will be, no doubt, new recruitment if they go up, as there was last year.

Edited by Cclay

1 hour ago, Cclay said:

Quite a few of the new recruits have played at that level, or above, in the past. Some of the younger players have played at that level, or above, and 'come down' to Newcastle. The key would not be the 'hang in', as the present players would probably survive in the division (just) but they aim to win it and be in the WSL (which the current squad would be unlikely to do). Sunderland beat them in pre-season. There will be, no doubt, new recruitment if they go up, as there was last year.

At least women’s football isn’t hindered by FFP……….yet. The club can invest in the team.

1 hour ago, FloydianMag said:

At least women’s football isn’t hindered by FFP……….yet. The club can invest in the team.

Given the desire to grow women's football I would guess that won't change in the short term.

1 hour ago, OpenC said:

Come on the lasses, gutted I couldn't go

Friend of mine reckoned it was on iPlayer and red button, haven't checked yet though.

Just checked the TV guide and the Durham vs Man City match is on the red button 30 mins later. LivefootballonTV has that match on iPlayer and red button but no mention of Newcastle, plus NUFC didn't mention it, so extremely unlikely.

As I've already got Facebook, probably the easiest way would be to watch it on my phone there and mirror to the TV, which isn't amazing.

It's a big match, but when you consider the underwhelming methods to watch it, plus that the Leigh stadium is effectively the same as Kingston Park, and that NUW have already played a competitive match at a much more prestigious stadium this season in the City Ground, it does maybe take the gloss off a little bit. 

FA Player needs sign up but appears to have a cast option :thup: hasn't started yet so can't confirm it'll be there when the game is on.

One or two uncharacteristically nervous faces on the walk in video :)

Really suprised by the man u line up, they're definitely not taking any risks!!

Particularly suprised Earps is starting as she's put of contract in the summer and rumoured to leave in this window, plus their 2nd keeper is very good!!

2 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Whey that’s not working.

The FB link? It is for me, and it seems like 30 seconds ahead of the FA Player stream which I'm watching :lol:

Couple of decent chances for MU in the opening 2 mins.

3 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Whey that’s not working.

Not letting me cast it to this TV, it says Google pay can't download the app on this device too. Luckily iptv has it on albeit about 2 mins behind