Newcastle United Women

toontownman

20 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

How does promotion work? Just the winners go up?

Yeah, likely to change in the coming years. I’d imagine they will want to expand the WSL to more teams, and more clubs are backing their women’s teams.

I think any one of us, Birmingham, Charlton, London lionesses or Southampton. It will be a close run league with teams points off each other. I'll be really surprised if one team runs away with it.

The finances of the lasses team is really interesting to me. I haven't a clue what they get paid so I'm guessing at an average of £35k x 30 players so approx £1M for players and I guess another £1M on staff. I'm also guessing that there is a negative return on playing at Kingston park against gate receipts which is about £25k per game. I think the club help with accommodation etc and with travel & training I envisage it's about £4M a year to run the women's team. (I might be miles away mind)

Taking into account only Arsenal ladies have a significant higher crowd than us, there can be no teams we can't compete against when we get promoted, whether that's this year or later, but that's all down to psr in the men's game not taking into account the cost of running the women's side. It's ridiculous to think that Matt Target's reported wage could be higher than the cost of running a women's team. It also explains the minimum wage, limited hours contracts that other teams in the championship are paying. 

Men's and women's football is chalk and cheese and I can't see it changing any time soon. The quicker we do it the more chance that the local lasses have a sustained career in football. I would love that to happen. 

10 hours ago, Iwantcurlyhair2 said:

I think any one of us, Birmingham, Charlton, London lionesses or Southampton. It will be a close run league with teams points off each other. I'll be really surprised if one team runs away with it.

The finances of the lasses team is really interesting to me. I haven't a clue what they get paid so I'm guessing at an average of £35k x 30 players so approx £1M for players and I guess another £1M on staff. I'm also guessing that there is a negative return on playing at Kingston park against gate receipts which is about £25k per game. I think the club help with accommodation etc and with travel & training I envisage it's about £4M a year to run the women's team. (I might be miles away mind)

Taking into account only Arsenal ladies have a significant higher crowd than us, there can be no teams we can't compete against when we get promoted, whether that's this year or later, but that's all down to psr in the men's game not taking into account the cost of running the women's side. It's ridiculous to think that Matt Target's reported wage could be higher than the cost of running a women's team. It also explains the minimum wage, limited hours contracts that other teams in the championship are paying. 

Men's and women's football is chalk and cheese and I can't see it changing any time soon. The quicker we do it the more chance that the local lasses have a sustained career in football. I would love that to happen. 

There is absolutely zero chance 30 players are on 35k!

Most WSL teams other than the top 2 or 3 won't have the majority of their players on that much!

1 hour ago, iklgizmo said:

So do I!

It's all speculation. Only JonBez comesock will know the answer and I don't expect (or want) him to make a comment on it. The only hints are it's not 'huge'. However, players who were not professional have given up full-time jobs when they became professional. The speculated figure is close to a PC's wage and, as far as I recall, this is the type of job given up. I know people will be prepared to give up money to 'follow a dream' but people still have to live. As I said, it's all speculation anwyay and people spilling the beans on money always have vested interests (good or bad).

On 22/09/2024 at 13:40, OpenC said:

@O Neill

IMG_20240922_134007_(1205_x_1600_pixel).thumb.jpg.c8244ad3c70794d52185db18f238c2b0.jpg

IMG_20240922_134012_(1205_x_1600_pixel).thumb.jpg.dea0a3a028c612fc48a0d551fb4e0ae0.jpg

Cracking t-shirt @OpenC. Any idea who is doing the photos now? I couldn't tell from the highlights, but it looked like it might have been the young lass that the club hired to help Serena? Or have they gone and hired someone new to cover the women? Up here Rangers have actually got someone who primarily covers the women and youth fixtures, but goes along to the men's games when needed as well.

I can 100% tell you not even half of the team are on 35k. A couple will be on a bit more, but most are mid 20s, and that is high for the league!

Hopefully we'll keep increasing those salaries though, and LCL are handing out some hefty salaries, so if everyone follows suit, things will continue to progress!

7 minutes ago, iklgizmo said:

I can 100% tell you not even half of the team are on 35k. A couple will be on a bit more, but most are mid 20s, and that is high for the league!

Hopefully we'll keep increasing those salaries though, and LCL are handing out some hefty salaries, so if everyone follows suit, things will continue to progress!

Should be on £35k minimum.

£35k should be the minimum wage, how the fuck people are expected to live off less than £2k a month with prices these day is beyond me.

8 minutes ago, Stifler said:

£35k should be the minimum wage, how the fuck people are expected to live off less than £2k a month with prices these day is beyond me.

It's crazy!

A lot of 'full time' players have to have part time jobs just to afford to live.

The majority of contracts are 1 year top, so poor wage with zero stability!

Contract lengths are one of the main things that need to change in the women's game, even right at the top!

Keira Walsh, arguably one of the best players in the world will go for a free next summer, lucy bronze went for free this summer!

Clubs are missing out on transfer fees, good players move around for free, and the average to good players are constantly clinging on to their salaries year by year

Edited by iklgizmo

I don't know what's worse, Man Utd making 250 redundancies and the total annual savings being less than Marcus Rashford's annual contract or NUFC women annual costs being less than Matt Targets. I think we should raise the bar and add in Isaac Hayden costs too. I understand women's football will lose money for years to come and these lasses are living the dream, but purely for the joy and inspiration they give the kids that go we should be prepared to raise the bar and lead by example. It doesn't affect PSR so we could throw in Vlachodimos as well. It really makes a mockery of football when you sign a player you don't want and pay him a wage which could make a huge difference to a full squad within the same club. All to satisfy financial demands. Beggars belief. Football needs to sort itself out.

53 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Unfortunately I expect most women's teams run at a loss, if not all of them. Certainly the money it costs to run NUFC women will be far smaller than the revenue the team generates.

They need to look at ways of generating more money in the womens game and in turn passing it down to the players and staff.

6 hours ago, O Neill said:

Cracking t-shirt @OpenC. Any idea who is doing the photos now? I couldn't tell from the highlights, but it looked like it might have been the young lass that the club hired to help Serena? Or have they gone and hired someone new to cover the women? Up here Rangers have actually got someone who primarily covers the women and youth fixtures, but goes along to the men's games when needed as well.

Harriet Massey apparently. Good pictures, as well.

https://www.newcastleunited.com/en/news/sheffield-united-women-victory-in-pictures

Edited by Cclay

4 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Unfortunately I expect most women's teams run at a loss, if not all of them. Certainly the money it costs to run NUFC women will be far smaller than the revenue the team generates.

They need to look at ways of generating more money in the womens game and in turn passing it down to the players and staff.

I think that's what NewCo is supposed to do. Whether it works; who knows?