Newcastle United Women - Champions and Promoted

toontownman

25 minutes ago, TBG said:

Not a dig at the lasses, but the highlights of the FA Cup games at half time shows the gulf in quality between this and the the higher leagues.

That was the point I was trying to express in my post last night. As much as I know people want to be optimistic about this group of girls and what they have achieved the last two seasons, the next step is a massive move up in quality. I feel that when you are seeing one particular level on a regular basis, it's difficult to get perspective on how big a difference there is at the next level up. You can also often watch a game at the tier above, and not realise that a team that looks poor at that level is still a better side than one from the division below.

9 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I also thought Hashtag looked fitter throughout. That really surprised me seeing as one team is full time and the other only trains twice a week. 

Yeah, they were fitter and stronger and took their chances by playing their game. No complaints, we weren't at it, but great day all the same and now I'm going to experience Luton's finest kebab pizza offering before lashing in eight or ten pints :)

Questionable choice of team and some unusual subs for me, but meh :) their day will come. Undone by a suicide ball. I didn't see the incident at the end, people standing up - what happened? When it cleared Bailey Gayle was lying in front of the goal slapping the grass like she'd just missed

Edited by OpenC

14 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Yeah, they were fitter and stronger and took their chances by playing their game. No complaints, we weren't at it, but great day all the same and now I'm going to experience Luton's finest kebab pizza offering before lashing in eight or ten pints :)

Questionable choice of team and some unusual subs for me, but meh :) their day will come. Undone by a suicide ball. I didn't see the incident at the end, people standing up - what happened? When it cleared Bailey Gayle was lying in front of the goal slapping the grass like she'd just missed

I feel really sorry for you as that performance was (and the standard in general) shocking. I've seen some ok football from the girls this year and that's why I'm stunned watching that final. I've see higher standard kids games at ten and under. I saw more entertainment in two minutes of highlights at half time (even then the errors were poor) than I did in the full 97 from the final. I've mentioned to you before about that keeper as she is terrible. I'll obviously keep an interest as they represent the club, but Becky has some strong decisions to make in the summer. Don't think Becky had a good day at the office either as the team just played into the hands of Hashtag all game, apart from a ten minute spell at the start of the second half. 

Edited by et tu brute

Was worth going just to experience Kenilworth Road, honestly :) win would have been nice but it's mostly been just about supporting the lasses and even though they weren't great today, I've enjoyed it all the same. Pleased I'm not driving home tonight like :lol:

5 hours ago, Infinitely Content said:

I’ve watched them play a few times, one of their stand out players Emma Samways, an attacking midfielder is out with an ACL as of only last week. Grace Gillard their CB captain is talented, and they’ve some quality in forward areas too in Sammy Rowland.

The issue is I haven’t watched Newcastle often enough to be able to compare quality, however they’re roughly on par with Portsmouth on their day. I’d expect a close contest with Newcastle slight favourites especially with Samways out.

Enjoy it OC!

Rowland was a real handful :thup: they weren't a lovely footballing team to watch (read: they were a bunch of dirty fucking cheats :lol:) but you have to play to your strengths. They did, and they ran us off the park - always had two or three on us and didn't let us play which was testament to their fitness and how well they executed their plan.

Can't help but think if we had PBG on from the start or at least from half time it might have been a different game.  Also not sure about taking McQuade off, she was a constant outlet and skipped past them plenty of times.

3 hours ago, Jack27 said:

Cataldo is a tidy little player

She's really come on. I wasn't convinced by her at first, but she's fitting in really well now and seems to have a good understanding developing with Katie Barker in front of her. I think she's my pick of the winter arrivals :thup: 

Well that was disappointing. 

A surprising lack of quality with the final pass. 

Hashtag defended well and their strikers were impressive, but I don't think they were the better team overall. Just took their chances more cleanly. 

We just couldn't get a shot off - again testament to how well they defended - but I think Katie Barker was the only one really prepared to have a dig.  They played that through ball to Barker on the wing plenty of times, Georgia Gibson from the centre and Lia Cataldo from behind her, but Hashtag had obviously prepared for it and dealt with it comfortably

Grace Donnelly getting a lot of grief on the ft Instagram post

Edited by OpenC

1 minute ago, Dr. TC said:

Well that was disappointing. 

A surprising lack of quality with the final pass. 

Hashtag defended well and their strikers were impressive, but I don't think they were the better team overall. Just took their chances more cleanly. 

I thought Hashtag looked awful if I'm honest. They reminded me a lot of Partick Thistle up here. A handful of decent players, but well-organised and physically big. They look like they would bully teams at this level out of matches, but not score many goals in the process. Can imagine they win plenty of games 1-0, and few by more than two goals. That type of football is effective up to a certain level. Then suddenly you find that every team in the league is able to match up physically, but also has better technical ability as well. At that point, 1-0 wins dry up and become losses.

Aye, Barker plays LW and is always direct and positive, literally always looking to get forward. Great little player. Part of the problem with bringing Bridget Galloway back in is that Galloway literally can't keep up with her

Edited by OpenC

50 minutes ago, O Neill said:

I thought Hashtag looked awful if I'm honest. They reminded me a lot of Partick Thistle up here. A handful of decent players, but well-organised and physically big. They look like they would bully teams at this level out of matches, but not score many goals in the process. Can imagine they win plenty of games 1-0, and few by more than two goals. That type of football is effective up to a certain level. Then suddenly you find that every team in the league is able to match up physically, but also has better technical ability as well. At that point, 1-0 wins dry up and become losses.

their results

13 minutes ago, Cclay said:

Not far away from what I guessed. Goal difference of +21, but only 36 goals scored, while Portsmouth above them have a GD of 59 and have scored 66 in the league. Being fair, it does average out to around two goals per game scored and one conceded. Obviously, I have next to no knowledge of that league, but would have thought that the bottom teams might have taken a few smashings from the top sides given they haven't won any games all season.

Sunderland vs Durham is on The FA Player tomorrow at 2pm. I might actually watch it. Sunderland top of the 2nd tier, but it's extremely close, and Durham are starting to look over their shoulder at the other end after no win since Dec 17th. Obviously a local derby, and a massive lack of other live matches tomorrow.

Edited by Paullow

:lol: we never win fuck all except leagues (and then only lower ones), today's result was never really in doubt I suppose

Edited by OpenC

Just got back and despite the result, it definitely made me want to make the effort to see the lasses again.

Kenilworth Road was, erm, interesting? Loved visiting it personally, but it was like travelling back in time to what (I assume) football grounds were like during the 80s. Such a bizarre choice for a women's cup final. When your trying to grow the game, why would you chose a ground that felt so old fashioned in such a dreadful town. On a weekend where their was planned engineering works between it and London too. Can't imagine its the sort of place that makes new fans to the sport want to keep coming. 

Shame about the performance, felt like we didn't deal with their physicality and pressure on the ball at all and never controlled possession. Silver lining for me was Cataldo, watching the streams the past few months, I wasn't convinced she offered us more than we already had. However, today I thought she was great. Composed at the back and in possession, constantly driving the ball forward effectively. She has won me over today. 

Yeah, nothing but good things to say about the Kenilworth Road experience but nothing but bad things to say about Luton as a venue. Being stood outside the stadium in the rain for want of anything at all to do anywhere nearby will live long in the memory for me :lol: truly a dismal town and a terrible choice of final venue.

And aye, I felt the same about Cataldo. She was great. Amber Stobbs played really well as well, right to the end.  Had no idea what we were playing by the end mind, Emma Kelly looked to be back at centre half. 

Edited by OpenC