Realistic Transfer Targets (2024/25)

joeyt

I think we'll see 4-3-3 next year.

I think we'll definitely be in for Botman.  I'd love to see Kamara.  I quite like Targett.  He's not flashy but is steady and balances offense/defense well.  We'll need a CF as well.  It also looks like they'll be looking at keepers too.

GK

Trippier       Lascelles     Botman  Targett

Kamara

Guimaraes     Willock

Fraser                                       ASM

CF

Krafth, Clark, Schar, Dummett, Hayden, Ritchie, Miggy, Darlow, Dubs will all be gone, maybe more.  Can't turn over the whole roster in two windows.

That would leave Woodman, Gillespie, Manquillo, Burn, Lewis, Longstaff, Shelvey, Murphy, Wilson, Wood, another CB, another wide player and some kids.

8 minutes ago, Consortium of one said:

I think we'll see 4-3-3 next year.

I think we'll definitely be in for Botman.  I'd love to see Kamara.  I quite like Targett.  He's not flashy but is steady and balances offense/defense well.  We'll need a CF as well.  It also looks like they'll be looking at keepers too.

GK

Trippier       Lascelles     Botman  Targett

Kamara

Guimaraes     Willock

Fraser                                       ASM

CF

Krafth, Clark, Schar, Dummett, Hayden, Ritchie, Miggy, Darlow, Dubs will all be gone, maybe more.  Can't turn over the whole roster in two windows.

That would leave Woodman, Gillespie, Manquillo, Burn, Lewis, Longstaff, Shelvey, Murphy, Wilson, Wood, another CB, another wide player and some kids.

I’m hoping those in bold aren’t anywhere near the first-team and ideally we will move them on!

Just now, gazza ladra said:

Absolutely. Also I don't think Targett is Howe's long term choice. We'll buy an attacking LB in the summer.

Again I’d be happy if we went into next season with him as our starting LB, and I agree I think Howe would like a more attacking LB, but it’s encouraging that he has maybe identified that may not be the best for ASM long-term who for me needs a defensive full-back behind him. Unless we can find another Trippier for the left who can do both!

2 hours ago, HTT II said:

Again I’d be happy if we went into next season with him as our starting LB, and I agree I think Howe would like a more attacking LB, but it’s encouraging that he has maybe identified that may not be the best for ASM long-term who for me needs a defensive full-back behind him. Unless we can find another Trippier for the left who can do both!

Renan Lodi simples 

I'd love for us to try and get Brereten Diaz and Brennan Johnson if Blackburn and Forest fails to gain promotion this season. They are young and exciting prospects, have decent pace for some sexy Bruno through balls but doesn't seem to be speed merchants in that they have ability on the ball as well.

7 hours ago, Conjo said:

I'd love for us to try and get Brereten Diaz and Brennan Johnson if Blackburn and Forest fails to gain promotion this season. They are young and exciting prospects, have decent pace for some sexy Bruno through balls but doesn't seem to be speed merchants in that they have ability on the ball as well.

I've watched alot of Brennan Johnson due in part to living so close to Lincoln (where he was on loan for a season). There is no doubt he is talented, has pace and an eye for goal but I don't see us going for untested top level players. Brereton Diaz is more of an option because of how well he has done but on that same level surely Mitro would be a good buy as well. We know being decent or even outstanding in the Championship doesn't mean jack shit in the Premier League. 

20 hours ago, STM said:

Here's one... would you take Pickford? :lol:

100% yes. He’s still a good keeper, his Press Conference where he puts the stick he gets from the fans as ‘local banter’ would literally kill that lot who hate us. Majority of our fans wouldn’t be happy but I’d love it.

7 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

I've watched alot of Brennan Johnson due in part to living so close to Lincoln (where he was on loan for a season). There is no doubt he is talented, has pace and an eye for goal but I don't see us going for untested top level players. Brereton Diaz is more of an option because of how well he has done but on that same level surely Mitro would be a good buy as well. We know being decent or even outstanding in the Championship doesn't mean jack shit in the Premier League. 

I sort of see what you mean. But Mitrovic is slow, 5 years older and has already had a few seasons in the prem where he has struggled. I think he is playing in a better team and all.  

Maybe he has improved and he will be a lot

better this time. Bur I think Brereton-Diaz is worth a punt. But I have a feeling they will be aiming higher if we stay up. 

21 hours ago, STM said:

Here's one... would you take Pickford? :lol:

No. Loses the plot too often, doesn’t inspire confidence with the defence and on set pieces and he seems to make howlers galore.

Pretty much always quality for England, mind. But I think the set up really suits him.  

12 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I sort of see what you mean. But Mitrovic is slow, 5 years older and has already had a few seasons in the prem where he has struggled. I think he is playing in a better team and all.  

Maybe he has improved and he will be a lot

better this time. Bur I think Brereton-Diaz is worth a punt. But I have a feeling they will be aiming higher if we stay up. 

I wasn't suggesting we bring in Mitro, he was just an example of  Championship players excelling at their correct level.

I do agree that we should almost certainly take a punt on a few lower league players from any country. Its less of a risk for us in reality as if we spend 30m on Diaz for example and he ends of being a bag of shit then he'll just hang around on the bench for a season or so and then someone like Everton or Cyrstal Palace will take him off our hands and we'll buy someone else. 

12 hours ago, gazza ladra said:

Read the Ayoze Perez thread, and I was struggling to think of a former player that I'd want back now. 

Merino seems to be the one. Contined to improve. Still only 25.

For 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 Merino is my ideal holder/DM. Can win headers which means Big Joe can get out of midfield (and the team), loves to free himself in tight spaces and make simple passes. He gives us Shelvey’s ability to switch play between fullbacks, with better running, and the ability to naturally get the ball into our dangerous left side of the team (Maxi<>Bruno).  

Please let it happen!

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

You want big Joe out of the team? He’s absolutely class 

Next year Big Joe can be on the bench. His best attributes are basically ball-winning. That’s fine in a team that can’t hold possession as it means we always need to retrieve the ball. But with a more capable team, I feel we only need 2 very good ball winners in the middle. Merino-Bruno would achieve that. Then we can have a more luxury progressive midfielder to join up with the attack taking on Willock’s role. Say Paqueta. 

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

You want big Joe out of the team? He’s absolutely class 

The tackling stat that's been going around since the Everton game proves how valuable Joelinton is to us right now. I do think though that as with 90% of players here he is living on borrowed time. He'll outstay most because he has the ability to play in different positions and clearly has the passion for it but I don't see him being a guaranteed starter next season. 

Fair enough, personally I think there’s a place in the side for him for the next few years. He’s an enforcer and comes out with the ball in almost all his 50-50s, his distribution is also excellent. I think he’s got room to develop even more and although there are few signs of him improving in front of goal, he keeps getting a lot of opportunities and if he can get past a mental block I think he can start chipping in with more goals 

1 hour ago, Mazzy said:

I wasn't suggesting we bring in Mitro, he was just an example of  Championship players excelling at their correct level.

I do agree that we should almost certainly take a punt on a few lower league players from any country. Its less of a risk for us in reality as if we spend 30m on Diaz for example and he ends of being a bag of shit then he'll just hang around on the bench for a season or so and then someone like Everton or Cyrstal Palace will take him off our hands and we'll buy someone else. 

I wasn’t suggesting that you were suggesting that :lol: merely looking at the differences between the players. I didn’t really think it was a fair like for like comparison. 

Striker is the key signing in the summer. If we are going to make a statement, the Nº9 is where it should be. Nuñez, Schick, Vlahovic, Haaland, Mbappe... We can dream for real!!:indi::footy:

A couple of wingers/wide forwards plus central defender/s and left back and we will improve dramatically.

28 minutes ago, buzza said:

Striker is the key signing in the summer. If we are going to make a statement, the Nº9 is where it should be. Nuñez, Schick, Vlahovic, Haaland, Mbappe... We can dream for real!!:indi::footy:

A couple of wingers/wide forwards plus central defender/s and left back and we will improve dramatically.

Starts with a couple of realistic names. Then someone that has just signed for Juve. Then just madness :lol: 

I'd be more than happy if we bought Targett and another left back for competition.

Going into the summer though, Botman should be our #1 target to be the mainstay of our defence for the next 5 seasons and beyond. I wouldn't be too bothered if he was the only CB we brought in, but I suspect we'll go for more and better.

Wide forward is a position that needs improved as a priority, as much as I like Fraser and he's grafting his bollocks off for the team, he's the obvious one to upgrade as well as another, more dynamic striker to go ahead of Wilson and Wood in the pecking order, although again I'm not adverse to Wilson starting when fit as with a more possession-based team that creates chances he can be fucking clinical, it's just a shame about his injury problems.

Like Jan though, I have little idea to what the club will do, I'm even reluctant to speculate! Just enjoying the ride and loving having my football club back pushing for more.

Personally I think Tarkowski on a free is an absolute no brainer. We are going to have a cull of squad players, especially in defence. Something like: Botman, Burn, Tarkowski and Lascelles (I think Schar may leave), would leave us looking strong. Perhaps another young CB to challenge for places if we need a back 3.

Clark, Fernandez and Dummett have no future.

Signing Tarkowski on a free doesn't stop us targeting our top targets, it just enhances our squad.

Edited by STM