Roman Abramovich

Pokerprince2004

What is there to learn in terms of ticket sales and resale?

Reselling and scalping exists here too.

Thankfully, despite increasing, European football remains far more affordable for match going supporters. That is literally the only thing that matters in terms of ticketing.

5 minutes ago, bobloblaw said:

Sure they are.  The NBA is the most popular league in China, and more people watch the NBA finals in China than in the US.

Also, I'd like to see some citations on your dollar numbers, since it's been estimated that tencent is paying 300m per year just for the streaming  rights in China. https://www.forbes.com/sites/isabeltogoh/2019/10/14/tencent-resumes-streaming-nba-games-as-china-moves-to-cool-row/?sh=782d34956cb3 

It has only been relatively recently that US sports have really tried to start expanding overseas markets, for obvious reasons (they don't really need to).  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes'_list_of_the_most_valuable_sports_teams#2020 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1120190/broadcasting-rights-sports-by-source/

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

What is there to learn in terms of ticket sales and resale?

Reselling and scalping exists here too.

Thankfully, despite increasing, European football remains far more affordable for match going supporters. That is literally the only thing that matters in terms of ticketing.

So less demand to view the product in person.

Just now, bobloblaw said:

So less demand to view the product in person.

Just less being ripped off by billionaires. Sky high ticket prices I'm sure another brilliant thing we should copy though, cracking argument. 

Just now, ponsaelius said:

Just less being ripped off by billionaires. Sky high ticket prices I'm sure another brilliant thing we should copy though, cracking argument. 

Ah yes, the premier league just has more magnanimous owners willing to forgo profits for the benefit of fans.  They could charge more, they just choose to take the revenue hit because they are good guys.

Wealth and disposable income in the US is enormous and people pay a lot of it to watch sport. Big whoop.

The argument here is global popularity which is barely worthy of a comparison.

Basketball does have some global reach as it is a genuinely global sport with cultural cache in a number of places (even ignoring the NBA). It is still incomparable nor is it an endorsement of the model of competition.

10 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I regularly go to MLB games for $6, sometimes $11.

Just now, cubaricho said:

I regularly go to MLB games for $6, sometimes $11.

Fair enough but MLB teams do play about a billion times a season and there is nearly always empty seats as a result - so that would make sense.

The tickets for the other sports can be eye watering.

Fairly certain that none of the resident N-O “fans of U.S. sports” (I won’t say Americans, because the U.S. sports threads are filled with non-Yanks) has ever advocated to scrap promotion-relegation in European football, nor pushed for any significant “Americanization” of the game. It’s quite easy to appreciate both systems.

To suggest that American sports are downright boring is just nonsense. That’s exclusively a “you” (to whomever it applies) problem…I’d suggest expanding your horizons.

Edited by Tomato Deuce

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Wealth and disposable income in the US is enormous and people pay a lot of it to watch sport. Big whoop.

So are high prices a result of people being ripped off by billionaires, or the result of consumer demand.  You seem to be contradicting yourself.

"US sports just really aren't that popular outside of the US." "Basketball does have some global reach as it is a genuinely global sport "  Which is it?

2 minutes ago, bobloblaw said:

So are high prices a result of people being ripped off by billionaires, or the result of consumer demand.  You seem to be contradicting yourself.

"US sports just really aren't that popular outside of the US." "Basketball does have some global reach as it is a genuinely global sport "  Which is it?

It can quite easily be both of those things. They are not contradictory in the slightest.

I said it has some global reach. Still completely incomparable to football.

Plus it was invented by a Canadian anyway.

Edited by ponsaelius

1 minute ago, RodneyCisse said:

Can get tickets for NBA games in Brooklyn for as little as $15 sometimes.

Yeah. I was conned by this last time I was there. An ordinary season game with no consequences and therefore played as such. Bloody dreadful.

10th tier football has higher stakes. The food was good though.

9 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

It can quite easily be both of those things. They are not contradictory in the slightest.

I said it has some global reach. Still completely incomparable to football.

Plus it was invented by a Canadian anyway.

It can't.  Nobody is forced to attend an NFL game.  They aren't selling insulin that people need to live.  The market sets the price.

It is a bit weird how y’all get all kinds of hot and bothered by Americans in particular being involved in the game. Far more so than any other foreigners.

13 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Yeah. I was conned by this last time I was there. An ordinary season game with no consequences and therefore played as such. Bloody dreadful.

10th tier football has higher stakes. The food was good though.

So higher stakes lead to higher viewership right?  What's the international viewership for lower level English football.

Consumer wealth inflates demand - limited capacity allows for exploitation in the form of obscenely high ticket prices which price out those who can't actually afford to ever go. Both consumer demand and exploitation at the same time.

In European football there is not as much wealth, but also a social contract that generally prevents obscene price gouging. In Germany there are packed stadiums but if the clubs raise prices then they will protest and not go. Tickets stay cheap. There is an inherent social contract, and underlying threat of something bordering on industrial action, which limits the degree to which ticket prices will ever rise. And it reflects the cultural history and place that football clubs have in society. It is less the case in England but remains true.

This social contract does not really exist in US sports. Hence why the American owners would be very keen on the ESL which pushes towards a franchise system and detached clubs further from their historic cultural and social contract.

4 minutes ago, bobloblaw said:

So higher stakes lead to higher viewership right?  What's the international viewership for lower level English football.

Nothing to do with viewership. A game which can decide relegation verses a regular season game with nothing at stake (because there's nothing to play for) has fundamentally higher stakes in a sporting sense. 

6 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

It is a bit weird how y’all get all kinds of hot and bothered by Americans in particular being involved in the game. Far more so than any other foreigners.

Generally other foreign owners have not been so keen to push towards a sporting model that is so alien. That's not to say they wouldn't be on board - but they have never been the driving force.

People were rightly disgusted by the ESL in this country. Without American owners jumping on board with the likes of Agnelli and Perez it would never have got off the ground. That is where the animosity comes from and is justified. There is nothing wrong with hating American billionaires - everybody should.

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Consumer wealth inflates demand - limited capacity allows for exploitation in the form of obscenely high ticket prices which price out those who can't actually afford to ever go. Both consumer demand and exploitation at the same time.

In European football there is not as much wealth, but also a social contract that generally prevents obscene price gouging. In Germany there are packed stadiums but if the clubs raise prices then they will protest and not go. Tickets stay cheap. There is an inherent social contract, and underlying threat of something bordering on industrial action, which limits the degree to which ticket prices will ever rise. And it reflects the cultural history and place that football clubs have in society. It is less the case in England but remains true.

This social contract does not really exist in US sports. Hence why the American owners would be very keen on the ESL which pushes towards a franchise system and detached clubs further from their historic cultural and social contract.

Yeah, that's not exploitation.  That's rationing.

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Nothing to do with viewership. A game which can decide relegation verses a regular season game with nothing at stake (because there's nothing to play for) has fundamentally higher stakes in a sporting sense. 

But you (or others) have said nobody is interested in American sports because there was nothing at risk.