Roman Abramovich

Pokerprince2004

I remember I had a bet with a Man U fan that we wouldn’t buy Smith. I couldn’t believe anyone would want him at that point as he was so obviously shit and finished, he just lumbered around fouling people. I was gutted that it was us that signed him.

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Worst signings relative to cost are still Marcelino, Luque and Boumsong for me - though I’m happy to nod in agreement with plenty of others.  

How bad was Boumsong. Remember his first game against Yeading 😂🤦‍♂️

19 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

That when DJ Campbell ran him ragged 😂

I remember watching with my housemate at the time and we looked at other in disbelief how awful he was 😂 The fact he was paired with Bramble was even more ridiculous 

Owen is the worst for me. Because of the gap between expectation and the result. He was meant to be our new 9 and talisman. 

We broke our transfer record. Massive wages.  Massive expectations.  About 60 league starts in 4 years. Joelinton made that many starts in half the time.  Refusing to come on during our relegation battle that saw us go down. He’s absolutely despised and rightfully so. 

i think every club has a number of Alan Smith type signings. 

30 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Owen is the worst for me. Because of the gap between expectation and the result. He was meant to be our new 9 and talisman. 

We broke our transfer record. Massive wages.  Massive expectations.  About 60 league starts in 4 years. Joelinton made that many starts in half the time.  Refusing to come on during our relegation battle that saw us go down. He’s absolutely despised and rightfully so. 

Definitely agree with Owen, I detest selfishness and this bloke has his picture in the dictionary next to the word, apparently he's hated in the horse racing world as well.

16 hours ago, Big Geordie said:

Smith was never the same player, after he had that bad injury at Man United. However, he did his bit to get us back in the PL and that shouldn't be under-stated. :thup:

Smith was a poor player by the time he signed for us, but at least he didn't come here under protest while wanting to be somewhere else all along. That was my main problem with Owen, not his ability. He was just a massive cunt.

6 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Worst signings relative to cost are still Marcelino, Luque and Boumsong for me - though I’m happy to nod in agreement with plenty of others.  

For some reason I really though Marcelino was going to be awesome, would tell anyone that would listen that he'll be one of the best in the PL. I had no insight into him other than what I read in the papers so it was complete blind faith, worked out well!!!

Guest HTT II

Smith was such a coward, I can’t remember who it was against, but the ball was played into him, he could have shot, but he actually passed it back. He’d run around but would kick out at his opposition mainly because he was too slow, too tired and too damn shit, but some of the crowd lapped it up. God I fucking hated him in our shirt!

When he came to us he was barely a football player anymore. There’s no way he should have been playing in either the premier league or championship at that stage. Was somehow significantly even more limited than Colback

Now Joelinton has turned himself around, it's Owen all day for me, despite his spells of form and obviously being more talented than most. He spent an eternity on the physio table and actively resented the club that rehabilitated him. He was a disgrace and was the symbol of the putrid nature of the club in the late noughties. 

5 minutes ago, OCK said:

Never buy a player from Man U. I think the only good one we've ever had was Keith Gillespie and only let him go for Andrew Cole. 

That's hardly a rule that should etched into eternity from a handful of bad experiences.

5 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

As soon as he signed it was pretty clear that his priorities went:

England

Horses

Newcastle

Just now, sushimonster85 said:

As soon as he signed it was pretty clear that his priorities went:

England

Horses

Newcastle

You forgot his main priorities of a) money, and b) Michael Owen.

Guest HTT II
20 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yup, he was fucking horrendous. Over the hill, not interested, could barely move, but would snap someone in a game. My most hated player. 

He had one maybe decent season at Leeds and we were after him as a potential Shearer replacement, but he was just bang average, all fluff and nowt else, for us he was just way beyond shite, one our worst ever signings. Owen tops them all though based on, well, everything. Cost, zero fucks given, wages, hype, fanfare and how he detracted from the team and don’t get me started on him being a so-called Captain. It says it all his pal Shearer who was willing to give up his number 9 shirt for him, worked him out and was having none of it.

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Wild Geese said:

We signed David McCreery ex Man U, he was a cracking player for us

Old cunt!

Guest HTT II
Just now, Wild Geese said:

Guilty 

Sorry not an attack on you, it’s a throw back to when Pardew the cunt called Pellegrini an old cunt, it’s become a bit of a forum meme!