Roman Abramovich

Pokerprince2004

1 minute ago, Joey said:

Outside of Owen, it'd be Riviere for me.

Expected little, got even less.

Scored more then Falcao didn't ya know.

Guest HTT II
12 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Happy to say I was on the record on the day he signed that Owen was an absolutely dreadful signing.

I think me and you were a lone crowd that day.

22 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I think me and you were a lone crowd that day.

Nope. Had a bad feeling about it and always thought he was monstrously overrated, which by the time we paid all that money out, had already been proven.

Had a Ronaldo to Inter feel about it, too much money, focus. Except you can't compare the two for talent - except the media here fkn did for years.

5 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Nope. Had a bad feeling about it and always thought he was monstrously overrated, which by the time we paid all that money out, had already been proven.

Had a Ronaldo to Inter feel about it, too much money, focus. Except you can't compare the two for talent - except the media here fkn did for years.

Eh?

At least Inter got all of their money back and more.

And Ronaldo wasn't a selfish prick.

1 hour ago, sushimonster85 said:

As soon as he signed it was pretty clear that his priorities went:

England

Horses

Newcastle

You missed out Liverpool, they were comfortably more of a priority than Newcastle, even if they didn't want him in return.

Says a lot about him that he ditched them when he thought they weren't up to his standard then tried to go crawling back when they were on the rise again. I think he's not so well thought of there now either, which says even more.

I still remember hearing when Owen had signed, I would have been 12 years old and heard it over the car radio while out with my dad somewhere. Was absolutely buzzing for days after, remember being similarly excited for Martins to as I’d read somewhere that he was one of the fastest players in the world [emoji38] Think he had a 99 pace rating on PES 07 or whatever year that was, he completely rinsed defenders on that.

Edited by Nine

16 minutes ago, TRon said:

You missed out Liverpool, they were comfortably more of a priority than Newcastle, even if they didn't want him in return.

Says a lot about him that he ditched them when he thought they weren't up to his standard then tried to go crawling back when they were on the rise again. I think he's not so well thought of there now either, which says even more.

Owen was one of my heros growing up. He also taught me that footballers were in general vacuous, selfish human beings and do not waste any time attaching any sort of connection with them.

Not so well thought of by LFC fans is an understatement.  He tried to engineer a move back to us. If not for Rafa who remained steadfast that he wanted Torres, Owen would have been back at LFC. One of the reasons for the tension growing between Rafa and the Carra and Gerrard was that he did not bring their mate back to LFC. 

After his disgraceful stay at yours, he then joins Man United. And then acts with absolute incredulity when LFC fans give him pelters. 

8 hours ago, Tisd09 said:

For some reason I really though Marcelino was going to be awesome, would tell anyone that would listen that he'll be one of the best in the PL. I had no insight into him other than what I read in the papers so it was complete blind faith, worked out well!!!

I was in Majorca when we signed him - talked to a local in a bar that morning who reckoned he was excellent, and was thoroughly depressed that he'd went.  Looking back, hard to tell if he was taking the piss!

17 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

:lol: I was buzzing me tits off. 

16 year old me went got his name and number on the gold shirt. :anguish: Last name and number I've ever gotten.

On 04/05/2022 at 16:28, macphisto said:

Just to make people cry, later that season we signed Boumsong for £8million under Souness when he had only been at Rangers on a free transfer for a few months. Utterly bizarre and then to rub more salt into the wound we let Hughes, a solid squad player, go not long afterwards for peanuts.

Still don’t think that Boumsong deal was as mad as people say like. He was early 20s, one of the most highly rated defenders in France at the time and on a free. He was bossing it up there and we paid £8m which was probably the going rate for someone of that reputation plus new contract situation.