General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Guest HTT II
14 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I’ve text my dad asking for the same. His first game was Stan Anderson’s debut sometime early 60s but knowing him it’ll be:

Green

Green

Green

Green

Green

Green

Green

Green

Green

Green

Green

I have uncles and cousins and others who saw him play and regard him as better than Zidane even and the best to ever wear black and white for us.

Guest HTT II

On of my uncle’s XI…

Given 

Nattrass Woodgate Moncur  Clark

Waddle Green Gazza Beardsley

Shearer Supermac 

Its weird how everyone mostly sticks to 4-4-2 and how many players get added even out of position!

47 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Again that was his remit, what can you not understand about that? He did his job better than expected and did it really well at times. Without Carr we would have went down again and would have maybe never come back up. You can’t equate him to Barnes who literally offered nothing, his biggest role at NUFC was to say NO on behalf of our cowardly owner who didn’t have the balls to talk to managers or deal with every day decisions himself. That is Barnes’ total sum role at NUFC. Carr scouted, identified and recommended players which was his job, most of them becoming more than good enough for us and some who the club made a massive profit on, again that was his job and it’s the job of any scout. 

All of the people at the club had a remit, I'm not sure of the point of bringing that up? Charnley and Barnes were hugely successful as their remit was to make a profit. Apart from two seasons all of our managers did a great job as their remit was not to get relegated. He was an integral part of how the club was set up and therefore deserves some of the blame for how it was run. I'm tired of hearing in general how great he was, the players we missed out on, etc.  It was PR spin by the club to give people false hope that we might get success doing it the "Carr Way"; that's why he received so much exposure. Think about it from the club's point of view, without pushing how "good" Carr was and his near "misses", what hope was there for fans to believe the club would be successful? It was the usual Ashley smoke and mirrors. 

The fact is, he bought a lot of dross which is glossed over by his few successes below, plus Cabaye and Sissoko. Below are his signings above 6 million Euro. Only 4 of the players in bold made a profit and a lot of them contributed to our 2nd relegation. The losses are particularly glaring when you consider most of his players were only here for a short time.

You can not say without Carr we would have gone down as that is assuming we would not have bought other players. With regards to coming back up, I'm pleased Carr was not involved as none of his players stuck around the 2nd time we went down. 

Papiss Demba Cissé: €12.00m, left €5.85m

Vurnon Anita:  €8.50m, free transfer
Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa: €8.00m, left €7.35m
Mathieu Debuchy: €6.20m, left €15.00m

Rémy Cabella: €10.00m, left €8.00m
Siem de Jong: €8.70m, left €2.30m
Emmanuel Rivière: €6.32m, left €1.10m
Daryl Janmaat: €6.00m, left €8.90m

Georginio Wijnaldum: €20.00m, left €27.50m
Aleksandar Mitrovic: €18.50m, left €24.70m
Florian Thauvin: €18.35m, left €11.00m
Jonjo Shelvey: €16.00m (Carr Signing?)
Andros Townsend: €15.70m (Carr Signing?)
Mbemba: €12.00m, left €4.66m
Henri Saivet: €6.00m, free

Guest HTT II
13 minutes ago, macphisto said:

All of the people at the club had a remit, I'm not sure of the point of bringing that up? Charnley and Barnes were hugely successful as their remit was to make a profit. Apart from two seasons all of our managers did a great job as their remit was not to get relegated. He was an integral part of how the club was set up and therefore deserves some of the blame for how it was run. I'm tired of hearing in general how great he was, the players we missed out on, etc.  It was PR spin by the club to give people false hope that we might get success doing it the "Carr Way"; that's why he received so much exposure. Think about it from the club's point of view, without pushing how "good" Carr was and his near "misses", what hope was there for fans to believe the club would be successful? It was the usual Ashley smoke and mirrors. 

The fact is, he bought a lot of dross which is glossed over by his few successes below, plus Cabaye and Sissoko. Below are his signings above 6 million Euro. Only 4 of the players in bold made a profit and a lot of them contributed to our 2nd relegation. The losses are particularly glaring when you consider most of his players were only here for a short time.

You can not say without Carr we would have gone down as that is assuming we would not have bought other players. With regards to coming back up, I'm pleased Carr was not involved as none of his players stuck around the 2nd time we went down. 

Papiss Demba Cissé: €12.00m, left €5.85m

Vurnon Anita:  €8.50m, free transfer
Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa: €8.00m, left €7.35m
Mathieu Debuchy: €6.20m, left €15.00m

Rémy Cabella: €10.00m, left €8.00m
Siem de Jong: €8.70m, left €2.30m
Emmanuel Rivière: €6.32m, left €1.10m
Daryl Janmaat: €6.00m, left €8.90m

Georginio Wijnaldum: €20.00m, left €27.50m
Aleksandar Mitrovic: €18.50m, left €24.70m
Florian Thauvin: €18.35m, left €11.00m
Jonjo Shelvey: €16.00m (Carr Signing?)
Andros Townsend: €15.70m (Carr Signing?)
Mbemba: €12.00m, left €4.66m
Henri Saivet: €6.00m, free

A lot of the players he scouted and recommend we sign, but didn’t, come out way after the event so to speak so it’s hardly PR to big him up and why would the cub willingly say we btw we could have signed PEA or Salah, it only makes them look like further mugs. And those players you listed, some were decent, some were great, some were crap. His hit rate was decent given he was our only fucking scout and we wouldn’t buy any or most of his top recommendations. Your entire argument again is skewered and weird, again, Carr is Rafa as opposed to McLaren. Or Cisse over Harewood. Of all the people to lay some blame at as part of the Ashley era man :lol:

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

On of my uncle’s XI…

Given 

Nattrass Woodgate Moncur  Clark

Waddle Green Gazza Beardsley

Shearer Supermac 

Its weird how everyone mostly sticks to 4-4-2 and how many players get added even out of position!

My dad still says Tony Green is the best ever player to play for us.

3 minutes ago, HTT II said:

A lot of the players he scouted and recommend we sign, but didn’t, come out way after the event so to speak so it’s hardly PR to big him up and why would the cub willingly say we btw we could have signed PEA or Salah, it only makes them look like further mugs. And those players you listed, some were decent, some were great, some were crap. His hit rate was decent given he was our only fucking scout and we wouldn’t buy any or most of his top recommendations. Your entire argument again is skewered and weird, again, Carr is Rafa as opposed to McLaren. Or Cisse over Harewood. Of all the people to lay some blame at as part of the Ashley era man :lol:

He was actively part of a football setup where players were bought purely for their resale value with no consideration of how they would fit into a team. That was his remit which he accepted and therefore has to accept some responsibility for how dysfunctional our teams were. As a football person he knew we were set up for failure and if he had any self-respect then he would have left. Like most of our managers and Charnley he knew he was on a good thing. The reason some of his alleged top recommendations were released is that it was a classic Ashley strategy to string the fans along. In a few years time we might be able to buy Carr's first picks, have faith in what the club is doing.

Why is it that scouts at other clubs have nowhere near his exposure and even now at Newcastle how often do we hear about Steve Hickson?

I know you disagree but for me anyone who lasted that long under Ashley in any capacity is nothing but a parasite who put their own interests first with the club well down their list of priorities. 

5 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

My dad says the same but me mam reckons Jinky Jimmy Smith.

Lacked any consistency did Jinky. Unplayable on his day but those days were pretty sporadic.

2 hours ago, HTT II said:

@HaydnNUFCget your dad to list his, it would be really interesting to see who he would pick given he’s experienced more years and players than yourself and myself!

Given, Craig, Woodgate, Coloccini, Beresford, Robert, Speed, Beardsley, Ginola, Shearer, Macdonald

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I’ve text my dad asking for the same. His first game was Stan Anderson’s debut sometime early 60s but knowing him it’ll be:

Green

Green

Green

Green

Green

Green

Green

Green

Green

Green

Green

Texted my lass's dad to ask him his. "I'll have to have a think about that - I'll get back to you. Tony Green will be in it though." :lol: That generation's Ben Arfa clique.

Guest HTT II
1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Given, Craig, Woodgate, Coloccini, Beresford, Robert, Speed, Beardsley, Ginola, Shearer, Macdonald

My uncle said Craig is the best full-back we’ve ever had in his time supporting and that Supermac today would be courted by all the big clubs in the way Haaland and Mbape are. He said Beardsley and Green were the most talented and Gazza wasn’t far behind, but he hates Beardsley now after the racism/bullying. Such a shame how he tarnished his reputation as he was a great player.

Guest HTT II
2 hours ago, macphisto said:

He was actively part of a football setup where players were bought purely for their resale value with no consideration of how they would fit into a team. That was his remit which he accepted and therefore has to accept some responsibility for how dysfunctional our teams were. As a football person he knew we were set up for failure and if he had any self-respect then he would have left. Like most of our managers and Charnley he knew he was on a good thing. The reason some of his alleged top recommendations were released is that it was a classic Ashley strategy to string the fans along. In a few years time we might be able to buy Carr's first picks, have faith in what the club is doing.

Why is it that scouts at other clubs have nowhere near his exposure and even now at Newcastle how often do we hear about Steve Hickson?

I know you disagree but for me anyone who lasted that long under Ashley in any capacity is nothing but a parasite who put their own interests first with the club well down their list of priorities. 

It wasn’t his job to find players to fit into the team unless the manager actively requests they find said players which we all know wasn’t on at NUFC. It’s down to the manager to make those players fit. It’s not a great way to build a team obviously when the manager has no real say, but Pardew made a pigs ear out of the players he was given more often than not. And exposure? A few local journos reporting on his recommendations? It’s not like he was this universally world renowned scout being marvelled by all and sundry in the football world, he wasn’t. You have completely went way over the top on this issue and I imagine Carr actually thought he was putting the club high up his list of interests as that was HIS job, again to scout and recommend players. What the fuck do you expect him to do otherwise? Anyway let’s agree to disagree.

Guest HTT II
Just now, Shearergol said:

Anyone not putting David Batty in the team is wrong.

I couldn’t justify him over Lee or Speed, the latter could do his job but was a better dressing room leader and scored goals. Batty was exceptional for us in the season he signed though. 8/10 every week and is on record saying he realised he could play football when he was here and enjoyed playing where as in the past it was more or less just a job to him.

My lass's dad's best XI (the ones he's seen play in person)

Iam McFaul
Frank Clark
David Craig
Ollie Burton
Bobby Moncur
Jimmy Smith
Tony Green
Terry McDermott

Terry Hibbit

Wyn Davies

Malcolm Macdonald

No Shearer or Beardsley :o

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

My lass's dad's best XI

Iam McFaul
Frank Clark
David Craig
Ollie Burton
Bobby Moncur
Jimmy Smith
Tony Green
Terry McDermott

Terry Hibbit

Wyn Davies

Malcolm Macdonald

I reckon my dad’s will have about 8 of those with John McNamee probably.

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

My lass's dad's best XI (the ones he's seen play in person)

Iam McFaul
Frank Clark
David Craig
Ollie Burton
Bobby Moncur
Jimmy Smith
Tony Green
Terry McDermott

Terry Hibbit

Wyn Davies

Malcolm Macdonald

He stopped going in 1977, so didn't see Given, Albert, Ginola, Beardsley, Ferdinand, or Shearer in the flesh, who he'd have included. 

Happy birthday Manquillo. That tackle and 50 yard burst to win the free-kick for Shelvey’s goal at Leeds just about kept us in touch before flying out to Saudi Arabia. The key turning point of the season?

Edited by Optimistic Nut

On 04/05/2022 at 13:02, Shearergol said:

Anyone not putting David Batty in the team is wrong.

I'd be wrong then. Massively overrated on here. Limited to tackling and passing five yards sideways or back. Not fit to lace Tony Green, Paul Gascoigne, Peter Beardsley or Gary Speed's boots  Everyone of them could do what Batty could do, but all four offered much more going forward.