General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Me and me dad were talking in the pub for absolutely ages about this, what is your all time NUFC XI but only counting players that you've seen? Obviously my list is gonna be far more depressing than anyone else's on here :lol:

(4-3-3) Dubravka, Trippier, Coloccini, Schär/Burn, Enrique, Tiote, Cabaye, Bruno, Ben Arfa, Saint-Maximin, Wilson.

Ba was a better solid all rounder and would have scored even more goals if he wasn't shifted to the wing due/not playing as main striker due to Cisse arriving

Edited by Amir_9

1 minute ago, Amir_9 said:

Ba was a better solid all rounder and would have scored even more goals if he wasn't shifted to the wing due/not playing as main striker due to Cisse arriving

I agree with the bold, but Ba had a much better side to work with behind him. It's fine margins mind, literally a toss of a coin as to who I went with. Was between the two.

9 hours ago, Jack27 said:

Thoughts on this? Think it is pretty similar to how I would go about it. A few I would change (keep Lewis & sell Miggy, Manquillo) 

Sure, if we're playing FM with cheat codes. Good luck managing to ship away 12 senior players who's not performed ever/for a long time who's on good deals, and good luck managing to fill up a 17 man squad with the quality we need to progress :lol:

As in seen live?

Given, Trippier, Woodgate, Coloccini, Enrique, Ben Arfa, Speed, Bruno, Robert, Shearer, Owen

Second best, for the hell of it:

Krul, Debuchy, Schar, Lascelles, Santon, Solano, Cabaye, Batty, Saint-Maximin, Ba, Bellamy

Painful choosing Owen but he probably is the second most talented striker I've seen for us, ahead of a good four or five I'd rather choose; Ba, Martins, Carroll, Bellamy, Cisse, Rondon, Perez (have never seen Wilson in the flesh, not that he gets close to this, for me). I only saw one game pre-Bobby and one game during Bobby but did manage to catch one or two stalwarts from those years. CBs tricky after the obvious two; Schar I feel comfortable with, Lascelles less so but I think it's probably right despite his regression. I did see Bramble though so that omission will doubtless enrage @Ronaldo

Given

Trippier

Woodgate

Albert

Beresford

Gascoigne

Batty

Lee

Ginola

Beardsley

Shearer 

Subs

Srnicek

Enrique

Debuchy

Coloccini

Bruno

Solano

Ben Arfa

Speed

Cole

He was great with the ball at his feet and a decent enough defender but definitely wasn’t a ‘great’ defender. 

I loved him though and he was better than Peacock. Keegan told Albert to lose some weight once so he shaved his ‘tache off :lol:

Peacock was probably the better defender but Albert had much much more to his game.

He was sometimes our furthest forward player. Which is outrageous bearing in mind who we had up front at the time.

I’ve been thinking about best NUFC 11 and it is a struggle, different eras, divisions, appearances etc.  so I have decided to list favourite players/ones I have enjoyed watching and admired the most in different positions.

goalkeepers: Pav and Shay Given 

defenders: Roeder (leader and what a shuffle!), Woodgate (superb all round), Helder (not many appearances but class act), Albert (loved him),  Trippier (best full back I’ve seen in black and white).

midfielders: Speed, Lee, McCreery (what a terrier!), Solano (sublime passes and exceptional work rate), Gascoigne (pre-peak but had everything),  Ginola, Robert, Roy Aitken (epitome of a defensive midfielder/CB, I wished we’d had when he was younger), Lee Clark (loved seeing him develop), and Bruno (could be a legend here). 

forwards: Mirandihna (I helped make up his song!), Varadi, Keegan, Ferdinand, Shearer, Asprilla. 

I’m sure more will pop into my mind once I submit this, but some great memories thinking through past heroes. 

3 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Not in a million years.

Ba is the best striker we’ve had since Shearer 03/04. Carroll 2010 runs him close but Ba’s all round game and the fact he switched to the left and still performed gives him the edge. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Ba was a beast, strong, quick and could finish all types of goals - could take free kicks and penalties too. Actually a very underrated player over the course of his career as he scored everywhere he went, needed to stay in one place for long enough to leave a legacy in my opinion. But a great and very likeable guy too. Think he associates his time at NUFC as his peak and the time he enjoyed the most, ditto Cisse. 

I do sometimes think of an alternative universe where Graham Carr's top recommendations were all listened to and signed without Ashley's tightness, where could NUFC have ended up from that solid base of 5th season, even despite Pardew's limitations. 

We could have had Salah, directly from Egypt I believe (or maybe Basel). Aubemeyang from St Etienne. Varane before Real Madrid. Too many other big names to mention. 

Carr had one hell of an eye to be honest, even his flops (Marveaux, Yanga Mbiwa, Thauvin, Mbemba et al) were still decent players but poorly coached / managed here). 

Goes to show, you get the wrong manager to manage your precious human resources, you destroy progress and no level of decent recruitment will help nullify the rot. 

2 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

I do sometimes think of an alternative universe where Graham Carr's top recommendations were all listened to and signed without Ashley's tightness, where could NUFC have ended up from that solid base of 5th season, even despite Pardew's limitations. 

We could have had Salah, directly from Egypt I believe (or maybe Basel). Aubemeyang from St Etienne. Varane before Real Madrid. Too many other big names to mention. 

Carr had one hell of an eye to be honest, even his flops (Marveaux, Yanga Mbiwa, Thauvin, Mbemba et al) were still decent players but poorly coached / managed here). 

Goes to show, you get the wrong manager to manage your precious human resources, you destroy progress and no level of decent recruitment will help nullify the rot. 

Also a universe where we give that group of players a real manager and not Pardew.

57 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

A lot of those players would’ve had better options. 

We were all in for Auba but he didn’t want to come. 

Most clubs have to work off second and third choices. Hopefully those days are coming to an end for us. 

5 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

He was in my memory. Read the game beautifully, always seemed in the right place. Very cultured and composed. I do think (after a shaky start) Peacock was very underrated and complemented Albert’s play really well. 

Peacock was really excellent. Like you say, not the cultured footballer like Albert but he was an excellent defender for us. 

1 hour ago, kingxlnc said:

Matuidi is another one we were close to I think.