Your first footballing hero

Guest HTT II

12 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I remember Waddle  playing for Sheff Wed against us, a rare chance to see him in action, we won 4-2 in ‘94, Mathie with that goal. He was superb that game, his crossing was something else. I’m sure we tried to sign him back. Another player who today would be worth fortunes.

Laid on two for Andy Sinton that night. :thup:

Guest HTT II
Just now, Big Geordie said:

Laid on two for Andy Sinton that night. :thup:

Aye and Pav flapped at loads of his crosses, I’m sure they had a crazy corner count as a result. Was a great game that.

Guest HTT II

I obviously never saw KK, Gazza, Beardsley (first time around) or Waddle live for us so could never appreciate them as players for us, but watching old clips, wow, what players. Again they’d all be worth fortunes today. I show my boy videos of them all and especially Cole, he said so he was doing Messi/Ronaldo figures years ago as a 21 year old, aye son. That’s how good he was for us! That’s how good WE were!

Guest HTT II
Just now, Big Geordie said:

If Beardsley had played for Barcelona, he would be viewed in the same way as Messi now is. He was a wonderful player - it's just a shame that my memories are now tainted by recent events. :(

Aye and I’ve met him and I can’t deny, he’s a prick. Great player though and could play in any team or era alongside anyone. Him and Cole were dynamic, him and Lineker too.

26 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I remember Waddle  playing for Sheff Wed against us, a rare chance to see him in action, we won 4-2 in ‘94, Mathie with that goal. He was superb that game, his crossing was something else. I’m sure we tried to sign him back. Another player who today would be worth fortunes.

Mathie's goal is in my top10

Guest HTT II

Other heroes of mine growing up were Sir Les, Shearer and a none Toon player, Ian Wright. I loved HBA when he was here too and over the Ashley years I would say Ba was the one I kind of liked the most. Obviously when you become an old git like me, it’s a bit naff to idolise millionaire footballers in this day and age. Today I fucking love Trippier and everything he’s all about. Howe could well be my modern day KK…

Guest HTT II
6 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Mathie's goal is in my top10

It was a great goal. He kept making those runs and it was coming. What a game that was, it could have ended 8-8 that’s how crazy it was, just end to end. They had a half decent side back then Sheff Wed, lots of injury problems though. Chris Wood was a top ‘keeper, Sinton, Waddle, Hurst who was never fit, Sheridan I think and Bart Williams looked a prospect. Walker was getting on a bit and they also had a certain Nigel Pearson in the team. Just remembered it was Wright in goal not Pav.

Edited by HTT II

33 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Aye and Pav flapped at loads of his crosses, I’m sure they had a crazy corner count as a result. Was a great game that.

In Pavs defence Tommy Wright in nets that night. Great atmosphere, their manager Trevor Francis "well they've  got the best fans in England"

Got Mathie 14 on my away shirt the next day on a high off that.

Think that was really the game we came into our own in the PL.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Guest HTT II
Just now, Wolfcastle said:

Tommy Wright in nets that night. Great atmosphere, their manager Trevor Francis "they've alrady got the best fans in England, they've got a good team"

Got Mathie 14 on my away shirt the next.

Think that was really that game we came into our own in the PL.

Aye wasn’t it our first win of the season? We just blew them away in the end and I wasn’t there, but it was on Sky and they were saying it was the loudest atmosphere they’d witnessed since the formation of the PL. RE Trevor Francis, he was always one of my fave pundits/co commentators. I think in that KK team looking back, average players like Mathie and Allen would always do well if played because of the chances we created and the freedom they had. No wonder Cole got 41 goals and to think he didn’t have Beardsley next to him for a few months… 

8 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Also fond memories of Malcolm Allen :smitten:

Malcolm and my (background circled) reaction to that clincher.

Had everything really didn't it. Quite edgy because they were a good team and we were new to the level. Noise is so loud when Mathie scores that the audio maxes out.

998952787_(editedin)gettyimages-1027075860-2048x2048.jpg

Giorgio Chinaglia

Yes, the NASL had Pele, Beckenbauer, Muller, Cruyff, Best, Eusebio, and somewhat later a very young Beardsley. But Chinaglia was the star on the playground. Every American kid that cared about soccer, was obsessed with Chinaglia. 

Guest HTT II
15 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Had everything really didn't it. Quite edgy because they were a good team and we were new to the level. Noise is so loud when Mathie scores that the audio maxes out.

An iconic strip too, great photo!

Guest HTT II

I’m in a family/friends WhatsApp group RE NUFC and footy and posed the same questions, a few have said Len White, Tony Green, loads my age Andy Cole, a few Beardsley, loads KK and one said Mirandinha and the younger ones Cabaye and Jonas.

Guest HTT II

Surprisingly Shearer doesn’t get many mentions. I loved the bloke me as a player, the best CF we will ever likely to see at NUFC.

41 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

My first match :aww:

Incredible experience 

Guest HTT II
9 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

My first match :aww:

Incredible experience 

Lucky bastard, what a first match man!

26 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Surprisingly Shearer doesn’t get many mentions. I loved the bloke me as a player, the best CF we will ever likely to see at NUFC.

I think that says more about the demographics of this place.