Grassroots Football

pinkeye

I'd love any advice about how to improve a 9 year old too. If there are any coaches out there.

His shooting and dribbling are very good but I'd like him to learn how to work the ball in tighter spaces and get his head up. Ideally with a view to moving more central.

28 minutes ago, STM said:

I'd love any advice about how to improve a 9 year old too. If there are any coaches out there.

His shooting and dribbling are very good but I'd like him to learn how to work the ball in tighter spaces and get his head up. Ideally with a view to moving more central.

Make a square, player in the middle, play the ball into feet and ask player to use their first touch to take the ball out of the square. Then add blockers to some of the sides or a blocking defender. Reduce size of square as player gets comfortable. 

Guest HTT II
4 hours ago, gbandit said:

What age did people’s kids on here get into playing football and enjoying it? My three and a half year old daughter is starting to enjoy passing a ball round more but it’s on and off. Would love for her to be up for a kick about regularly 

My 8 year old got into it accidentally, I originally took my now 10 year old about 3.5 years ago to mini dribblers and he went for a month and kept telling me he didn’t like it, but I wanted him to get into football. One day he come off crying and the coach was like it’s not for your son mate, I reluctantly accepted, my then 5 year old was with us and said can I go on in his place, the lads and lasses were a bit older and I was so dejected I was like no let’s go, the coach said throw him on he’ll have a run around.

A few sessions later he was getting kicked to fuck and crying, the same coach again said it’s not for your boys. My 5 year old said I’m not quitting, I’ll be back next week and he did, for a few months. 6 months later a team was formed out of the best kids and today they are one of the best teams in the NE and seemingly the country at under 8s given they’ve just won a tournament. My boy was at SAFC’s academy, scouted by NUFC 4 times and is currently at Boro.

I tried to force footy on one and he wasn’t having it and the other, just took to it naturally. I know loads of dads who are so pushy and their kids play far too much and I can be hard on my boy, but I struggle with pushing him and not pushing him too hard it may damage him so I just let him play and try and enforce a view that just have fun, enjoy yourself, you’re 8, and to not get too wrapped up in football to the point it’s your entire childhood and that you think that you will be a PL footballer.

Oh and some of the girls teams I’ve seen and indeed the players would wipe the floor with many boys’ teams, get her into it I’m sure she will love it and good luck.

Edited by HTT II

Guest HTT II
4 hours ago, OCK said:

Its entirely unregulated, which means no one really checks to see if they're qualified and/or DBS checked to work with kids. So, if you do go to one make sure you ask to see qualifications (which is something I've forgotten to do now and again as a parent). 

Any affiliated club will have to have coaches with at least an FA 1 badge and DBS and that will be displayed in any of their buildings and can be accessed via paper form, or email. Stay clear of any that don’t and aye a lot of so called footy camps and mini dribblers and futsal and soccer tots are purely about the money and often very poor in terms of standards, facilities, coaching etc. stay clear. You’d be better off taking them to the field yourself for a kick-about. The one good thing about some of those sessions is an interaction with other kids, getting confidence by being among other kids and even making friends. My young one has remained friends with 3 kids he first met on a fustal summer camp and they high five each other or fist bump these days whenever they see each other.

Edited by HTT II

Guest HTT II

I wasn’t the best at football as a kid, I was quick and that was about it. The best lesson I was ever taught was to try and become two footed and strong on either and I did that by practicing endlessly against a wall, starting out by passing the ball to the wall with my right and then trying to get the rebound passed back by my left. It took a while, but you can level up the intensity by striking it harder and harder and it also improves your touch and balance and reaction because if you hit it say hard with your right and it just bounces off the wall away from you, you have to judge and react. I’m genuinely two footed now and when I play I actually prefer using my other foot as I call it because as a footballer you shouldn’t have a weaker foot, my left. My boy is naturally two footed somehow, so well balanced and I’d liken him to John Barnes, he can play either wing, dribble for fun even though he’s not the quickest, or through the middle and he’s been playing CM lately and his nickname is Adamlinton. I get so much joy watching him play and it amazes me how so many kids are just so good where as when we were kids you had one good kid at school and the rest of us were shit, today they are all capable.

Edited by HTT II

2 hours ago, Bimpy474 said:

I've coached, managed and refereed in kids football, I loved every bit of it bar one thing.....Parents, some  absolute knobheads and fuckwitches.  Thankfully there's only ever a few who went overboard.

Yeah. Seen it first hand this past season. Guy from westerhope U8. Proper bellend. Language was off the scale in front of the kids.

Seen someone say about lapses of concentration. My lad falls into that category. He either has a blinder. Or doesn’t look like he even turned up.

But I can’t recall me being in a team or even teams around at this age when I was a bairn. Jumpers for goalposts until first year of secondary school then around 13yrs old I was in a team through to 17.

Just done my EE playmaker and dbs. Might delve into getting a team of my own at some point. I just have to make sure it fits around other commitments. 

42 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Any affiliated club will have to have coaches with at least an FA 1 badge and DBS and that will be displayed in any of their buildings and can be accessed via paper form, or email

Private companies don't have to affiliate as they're not running teams in a league, they're just white van people doing private coaching sessions. So be aware. 

9 minutes ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

Yeah. Seen it first hand this past season. Guy from westerhope U8. Proper bellend. Language was off the scale in front of the kids.

Seen someone say about lapses of concentration. My lad falls into that category. He either has a blinder. Or doesn’t look like he even turned up.

But I can’t recall me being in a team or even teams around at this age when I was a bairn. Jumpers for goalposts until first year of secondary school then around 13yrs old I was in a team through to 17.

Just done my EE playmaker and dbs. Might delve into getting a team of my own at some point. I just have to make sure it fits around other commitments. 

Second paragraph describes my lad to a tee. Scored 5 one week, came off crying the next, scored 3 the next, can't get a touch the next and so on. 

He gets his head down very quickly. If he misses and easy chance or someone clatters into him etc. Although he is getting better.

Have taken him along to another training session on Thursdays with older boys and rougher boys and he's holding his own, which is great.

Guest HTT II
10 minutes ago, STM said:

Second paragraph describes my lad to a tee. Scored 5 one week, came off crying the next, scored 3 the next, can't get a touch the next and so on. 

He gets his head down very quickly. If he misses and easy chance or someone clatters into him etc. Although he is getting better.

Have taken him along to another training session on Thursdays with older boys and rougher boys and he's holding his own, which is great.

We’ve seen with pro footballers it’s tough to get consistency, it’s even harder for kids, I find the most consistent kids are often not the most talented, but have a certain role and job and do it well. The talented kids tend to struggle for consistency. My boy has been playing a year up for another team on Saturday’s at 7-v-7 on the bigger pitches and has adapted really well because he has more space and time. My worry is when they get to 11 aside and off-sides. What position does your boy play?

Guest HTT II
18 minutes ago, OCK said:

Private companies don't have to affiliate as they're not running teams in a league, they're just white van people doing private coaching sessions. So be aware. 

They still have to have a recognised FA qualified coach and DBS, or should. I’ve not encountered any businesses that don’t here in the NE who run footy camps, schools, mini dribblers etc. 

Guest HTT II
28 minutes ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

My mate runs Westerhope, not long started it, he was my boy’s original coach and he’s done well for himself. They have grown as a club. 

Just now, HTT II said:

They still have to have a recognised FA qualified coach and DBS, or should. I’ve not encountered any businesses that don’t here in the NE who run footy camps, schools, mini dribblers etc. 

They should have a DBS if they work with kids, but this is what I was explaining earlier - who checks if the parents don't. They're not part of any organisation and FA Safeguarding policies don't apply. I wouldn't be surprised if there were 'coaches' out there doing private enterprise stuff that wera barred from operating within affiliated football. 

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, OCK said:

They should have a DBS if they work with kids, but this is what I was explaining earlier - who checks if the parents don't. They're not part of any organisation and FA Safeguarding policies don't apply. I wouldn't be surprised if there were 'coaches' out there doing private enterprise stuff that wera barred from operating within affiliated football. 

Ah right and yeah, it’s on the parents anyway to check, I have with every soccer camp my boy has entered in the past. They need to have enough coaches or assistants for a start as some of the camps are huge, proper facilities, first aid and I’d say even a defibrillator. If they don’t my boy doesn’t go. Best camp my son has ever been to was Gateshead’s, free, free packed lunches, stadium tour, met the players, were coached by the likes of Ben Clark and Williamson and superb facilities, indoor and out. Luckily I know the vice chairman, sponsored the ladies team etc. so get first dabs ha ha…

Edited by HTT II

1 hour ago, OCK said:

Everytime. [emoji38]

My sister played for our junior national team and she said she knew several teammates who quit due to the pressures their parents placed on them. One dad convinced his daughter to play through a partial MCL tear. That partial tear was a full tear after 20 minutes.

Just now, HTT II said:

My mate runs Westerhope, not long started it, he was my boy’s original coach and he’s done well for himself. They have grown as a club. 

Yeah the coach of the match. A lady I think if I remember correctly. Was amazing. Great instructions. Kids were very alert. The parent with the mullet that abused the cochraine park rep when asked to get off the pitch due to having no badges was insane. Proper abusive behaviour.

My lad moves up to 7v7 next season. Played in a tournament in Darlington yesterday. 5 games 5 losses. Proper wake up call. The teams we played against were passing around all over. 

Our lads were quite non positional. If that is even a word.

This is what makes it amazing with kids. From the first game of the season. This is their first season BTW.

They were like blind people chasing a ball with a bell.

But they have ended up being a great looking 5 v 5 team and have come back from 3-0 to win a game. 

Kids don't really care what the score is at this age. They just love playing with pals. Although there are a few who want prem league stars from the kids. But it's all about fun and learning at this age I personally think.

My lad plays at the back. But he has soon learned that you don't get much glory at the back. But he still loves it.

Great seeing him tug a kids shirt during a race to the ball. Also notice him having a sly dig if the ref isn't looking.

He is tiny. Totally different on the pitch to off it.

Guest HTT II

Great idea for a thread by the way and I can see this being one of my faves and me boring everyone to fuck more than I usually do, if anyone wants any links to clubs and 1v1 training to get their kid started or extra help etc. drop me a PM as I have loads of contacts and I would never recommend a shitty club, coach or camp. Need to be NE based though of course! My boy plays for Monty and City Juniors, and Wideopen for me is arguably the best in Newcastle, great owner, coaches, facilities, play football across every age group like Man City and have a direct link to NUFC’s academy so if your kid has something about him or her they may well get scouted and maybe even be part of the set up which right now our club have really started focusing on that side of things and will progress massively going forward. 

Edited by HTT II

Guest HTT II
10 minutes ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

Yeah the coach of the match. A lady I think if I remember correctly. Was amazing. Great instructions. Kids were very alert. The parent with the mullet that abused the cochraine park rep when asked to get off the pitch due to having no badges was insane. Proper abusive behaviour.

My lad moves up to 7v7 next season. Played in a tournament in Darlington yesterday. 5 games 5 losses. Proper wake up call. The teams we played against were passing around all over. 

Our lads were quite non positional. If that is even a word.

This is what makes it amazing with kids. From the first game of the season. This is their first season BTW.

They were like blind people chasing a ball with a bell.

But they have ended up being a great looking 5 v 5 team and have come back from 3-0 to win a game. 

Kids don't really care what the score is at this age. They just love playing with pals. Although there are a few who want prem league stars from the kids. But it's all about fun and learning at this age I personally think.

My lad plays at the back. But he has soon learned that you don't get much glory at the back. But he still loves it.

Great seeing him tug a kids shirt during a race to the ball. Also notice him having a sly dig if the ref isn't looking.

He is tiny. Totally different on the pitch to off it.

It’s down to the parents and coaches, if they drum into them a pressurised winning mentality they will crumble after a few losses, it’s got to be about fun. My boy’s team have been hammered so many times and dished out many themselves. Beating a team by 20 something is shit, I’ve walked away when we’ve done that, so my boy gets 10, so what it’s easy, I’d rather play top teams and lose than win easily, and develop and learn and grow that way which they now have done. We are so lucky we have two amazing coaches and brilliant parents, I’m obviously the best like…

If parents and coaches don’t put pressure on kids and treat games like a kick about it will be just like playing footy in the school yard for them. We all loved that, I know I did!

Our boys are used to winning so they want to win and badly and are very every competitive, my boy hates losing but gets that from me, but afterwards we forget about it and they go home laughing and happy. But there does or will come a time where winning is important, for the club, the team, the coaches, the parents and the kids because that’s the name of the game and it’s not a disgrace to instill into kids a desire to win, succeed and be successful, but again in the right manner. 

Our best player is a defender btw, he doesn’t get the glory either in terms of goals (although he can score and gets one or two) or skinning someone, but nearly every game he’s a Targett, 7 or 8 out of ten. He’s at Boro’s academy, but surprisingly been released by SAFC, they are mad because every top team in the NE would kill to have our Maldini.

Edited by HTT II

I second that with the thread being amazing. I have rarely posted in here in a few years of being a member. Apart from pissing people off with a takeover related post 😁

I might take you up on that offer of help at some point. Was looking to get a team of my own with Heaton but it seems to be a no go now as there were no trials this season. So I cant get 10 kids of my own.

I tried walker central. Nope. So I either stick it out as a parent. Or use my EE playmaker to assist a coach. Problem being a son who I have to take to matches. Or he joins me at a team. But where. I do not know. 

Did I mention. This is an amazing thread. 👍

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

I second that with the thread being amazing. I have rarely posted in here in a few years of being a member. Apart from pissing people off with a takeover related post 😁

I might take you up on that offer of help at some point. Was looking to get a team of my own with Heaton but it seems to be a no go now as there were no trials this season. So I cant get 10 kids of my own.

I tried walker central. Nope. So I either stick it out as a parent. Or use my EE playmaker to assist a coach. Problem being a son who I have to take to matches. Or he joins me at a team. But where. I do not know. 

Did I mention. This is an amazing thread. 👍

Our two coaches are just normal dads who had to take over or the team folded, mind it helps one of them held a UEFA B badge… go for it mate, that’s how the pyramid keeps growing and anyone who gets kids into the game and tries to help them should be applauded, I’d love to and did assist with my nephew’s team about 15 years back, we went a full campaign unbeaten, but I lack the patience and technical know how in terms of sessions which have improved massively from cones out, warm up, dribble stuff back then, I assist with sponsorship, bollocking the kids when they misbehave or fanny on as I have a loud gob and helping with raising money etc. 

My 6 year old goes to train with a local team. He’s really good at all the training exercises, passing, dribbling, tackling, shooting etc, but when it comes to the 5 on 5 games he’s completely clueless. It’s as if he doesn’t know he’s allowed to touch the ball. For an intelligent lad he doesn’t half piss me off :lol:

He enjoys it every week though, which is the main thing.

Guest HTT II

Me with my boy’s team trophy which they won at Flamingo Land yesterday…

DCF5-D2-D2-B746-4-DED-BF07-2-CEB56-FB550

Edited by HTT II

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

My 6 year old goes to train with a local team. He’s really good at all the training exercises, passing, dribbling, tackling, shooting etc, but when it comes to the 5 on 5 games he’s completely clueless. It’s as if he doesn’t know he’s allowed to touch the ball. For an intelligent lad he doesn’t half piss me off :lol:

He enjoys it every week though, which is the main thing.

Has he just started? They tend to chase after the ball, it’s because they don’t know how to actually play football in a team or structured sense, my boy when we are on the ball attacking will mark the opposition defender, MOVE, FIND SPACE, that’s what I scream. He’s only been playing 3 years which was massively interrupted by covid and doesn’t watch football so he even today struggles to understand certain aspects of it.

8 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Has he just started? They tend to chase after the ball, it’s because they don’t know how to actually play football in a team or structured sense, my boy when we are on the ball attacking will mark the opposition defender, MOVE, FIND SPACE, that’s what I scream. He’s only been playing 3 years which was massively interrupted by covid and doesn’t watch football so he even today struggles to understand certain aspects of it.

Lovely trophy.

I must admit. My lad can find a player on a shoestring and pass a beautiful through ball that catches the other team out when no-one is defending. Can hoof a ball. (If in doubt) mentality. But you get him to run with the ball on the pitch.

You got as much chance of seeing the queens arse in Fenwick window.

Hes just come in from the garden frustrated as he is trying to learn how to rainbow kick. Haha. 

He has also smashed up my rosemary plant today. Bloody kid. 

Edited by Infatuation Junkie

46 minutes ago, HTT II said:

We’ve seen with pro footballers it’s tough to get consistency, it’s even harder for kids, I find the most consistent kids are often not the most talented, but have a certain role and job and do it well. The talented kids tend to struggle for consistency. My boy has been playing a year up for another team on Saturday’s at 7-v-7 on the bigger pitches and has adapted really well because he has more space and time. My worry is when they get to 11 aside and off-sides. What position does your boy play?

He's a left footer and most of his best games are on the left wing, his style is very much Gareth Bale, pacey running, hard shooting type. They play 231.

He crosses the ball like an adult, proper zingers across the box, same with corners but his teammates can't get on the end of them, which is understandable at that age.

He's also very good with his right foot. We had a pen shootout comp and he had a fractured left foot (we didn't know at the time), so he took them with his right foot and won it.

Well done on the flamingoland tournament. We went in May and got spanked in each game. We got the tournament trophy like, fair play award or whatever. Was a great weekend. 

How about your lad?