Jump to content

Grassroots Football


pinkeye
 Share

Recommended Posts

He has a tournament on Sunday with his under 10s team, he’s not played for them for a month and missed out on his presentation night as we were at a Flamingo Land, we look strong, but it’s tournament football and anything can happen. Hopefully the weather is fine. It’s the Tata Steel cup, my business has actually done a fair bit of work with them. His Monty team have just signed up an Italian kid (born here), he looks some player and gives my boy a run for his money regarding kick ups and tricks, plays up front, rapid, direct and knows where the goal is. We have a very strong team, but we need another 1 or 2 as we’ve lost one to NUFC’s academy (under 9s).

Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to love the summer time festival / tournaments...  nice long day out and tons of matches running at the same time.  Great fun.

 

As I said we are done with the Grassroots now so nothing for us over the summer.  Instead it is the semi-serious business of a pre-season with the Men's Football Academy at Park View.  They plan to have 4 teams of varying ability from the first team that plays in the National Youth League through to the 4th team that is made up of kids that just like to play football but, are not especially talented.  As such I have been pushing Joseph to train (mainly running) all summer so far so he maintains some fitness, it would be rough to go to pre-season to find the rest of the lads way ahead of him in fitness.  He is aiming to play for the first team, naturally.  They play under the banner of Huddersfield Town for some reason connected to one of the coaches.

 

Luckily for him he is a gym addict and in great shape, he will get his cardio fitness up to standard easily.  The pre-season starts on 1 August so still a month to go!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, pinkeye said:

I used to love the summer time festival / tournaments...  nice long day out and tons of matches running at the same time.  Great fun.

 

As I said we are done with the Grassroots now so nothing for us over the summer.  Instead it is the semi-serious business of a pre-season with the Men's Football Academy at Park View.  They plan to have 4 teams of varying ability from the first team that plays in the National Youth League through to the 4th team that is made up of kids that just like to play football but, are not especially talented.  As such I have been pushing Joseph to train (mainly running) all summer so far so he maintains some fitness, it would be rough to go to pre-season to find the rest of the lads way ahead of him in fitness.  He is aiming to play for the first team, naturally.  They play under the banner of Huddersfield Town for some reason connected to one of the coaches.

 

Luckily for him he is a gym addict and in great shape, he will get his cardio fitness up to standard easily.  The pre-season starts on 1 August so still a month to go!

Good luck to your boy, I hope mine still has an interest in it when he’s an adult like I did which I’m sure he will as he loves it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

RE tournaments, I don’t usually like them as it’s a long day, ten to 15 minute games (at this level) where going a goal down or up seals the loss or win usually. The Flamingo Land one was class as we were all together and it was more about getting pissed as parents, kids having sleepovers at different caravans and the park and rides itself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

My 7 yr old is now getting properly into football....can anyone recommend a good place to get him playing somewhere south of the river? 

Dunston, Redhugh?

Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

My 7 yr old is now getting properly into football....can anyone recommend a good place to get him playing somewhere south of the river? 

Where are you based? a mate of mine looks after Felling Magpies U7's and they have 2-3 teams

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Davy Ren said:

Where are you based? a mate of mine looks after Felling Magpies U7's and they have 2-3 teams

Based in Birtley so Felling is ok.

Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

My 7 yr old is now getting properly into football....can anyone recommend a good place to get him playing somewhere south of the river? 

 

Felling Magpies - good set up

Redheugh - good set up

Leam Rangers - ? dont know much about them ?

Wrekington Nu Camp - good s set up

Rutherford - ? dont know much about them ?

 

All near by to Gateshead area.  My boy went through Felling Magpies since the age of 6 till 16...  No complaints that I would bore any of you with, just the usual club politics but, the Chairman is doing an outstanding job there and really growing the club to offer brilliant facilities to boys and girls.  Recently got their own pitches at Wardley.

 

There is a team or two that plays out of Birtley, have the pitches near to the Leisure Centre, also a couple from Chester-Le-Street.

 

If you are flexible and open to travel to Felling, then I would really recommend Felling Magpies!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, pinkeye said:

 

Felling Magpies - good set up

Redheugh - good set up

Leam Rangers - ? dont know much about them ?

Wrekington Nu Camp - good s set up

Rutherford - ? dont know much about them ?

 

All near by to Gateshead area.  My boy went through Felling Magpies since the age of 6 till 16...  No complaints that I would bore any of you with, just the usual club politics but, the Chairman is doing an outstanding job there and really growing the club to offer brilliant facilities to boys and girls.  Recently got their own pitches at Wardley.

 

There is a team or two that plays out of Birtley, have the pitches near to the Leisure Centre, also a couple from Chester-Le-Street.

 

If you are flexible and open to travel to Felling, then I would really recommend Felling Magpies!

 

 

Appreciate that thanks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Davy Ren said:

Where are you based? a mate of mine looks after Felling Magpies U7's and they have 2-3 teams

Any chance of pm for his contact?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also there is a new club in Birtley, ProSport - I can link you to one of their coaches but, I dont know if they have any really young teams currently

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Our boys have been playing a few round robin type tournaments lately (won 2, lost 1) and today they win again, I thought my boy was shit in the first few games, but in the final game to win it he popped up with 3 goals, a looped shot over the ‘keeper and two cracking toe poked goals, one racing onto a through ball, the ‘keeper comes out and he just toe pokes it past him and another a swivel and strike from outside the box. He has a good habit of turning up in big games and against the better teams and in finals.

 

I’ve told him that’s a good trait, but try and find some consistency because when you don’t turn up in lesser games against lesser teams we struggle and can lose or suffer. We lost today one game to a team we battered 5 nil during the last cycle because a few of our boys just weren’t interested. The goal of the tournament was by his team-mate, a Maradona turn to take him past and in between two players and bang from outside of the box. And our ‘keeper, wow, he made a finger tip save over the bar from a shot that come from nowhere. Some great football played recently across the NE from under 8s, 9s and 10 sides. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah man, I miss this like crazy...

 

My lad had an induction to work at Sports Direct today, I know ....   however, he will get about 20 hours a week and get paid so a job is a job! 

 

We set off at 8:30am and I said to him it was quite reminiscent of heading out for a match or a tournament, he agreed.  He misses it as well.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 20/06/2022 at 20:11, Shearergol said:

My 6 year old goes to train with a local team. He’s really good at all the training exercises, passing, dribbling, tackling, shooting etc, but when it comes to the 5 on 5 games he’s completely clueless. It’s as if he doesn’t know he’s allowed to touch the ball. For an intelligent lad he doesn’t half piss me off :lol:

 

He enjoys it every week though, which is the main thing.

 

Quick update. He's joined a different team now, one which seems less focussed on results and more focussed on enjoyment. Proper family feel to the club too. He's only been there a few weeks but it finally seems to have clicked with him about what he's supposed to do. He's got a lovely turn on him out of nowhere, and is really starting to understand the concept of moving into space and asking for a pass.

 

Reckon he's gonna be the next Joelinton as he's awful at shooting, but his tackling and hold up play is suddenly really good :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 05/08/2022 at 16:16, Shearergol said:

 

Quick update. He's joined a different team now, one which seems less focussed on results and more focussed on enjoyment. Proper family feel to the club too. He's only been there a few weeks but it finally seems to have clicked with him about what he's supposed to do. He's got a lovely turn on him out of nowhere, and is really starting to understand the concept of moving into space and asking for a pass.

 

Reckon he's gonna be the next Joelinton as he's awful at shooting, but his tackling and hold up play is suddenly really good :lol:

Glad your wee man is enjoying his footy, nowt better for kids at this age!

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 05/08/2022 at 17:10, gjohnson said:

Thanks for the recommendation. He's been a couple of weeks now and loves it. Can run with the ball at speed and be tricky as hell but can't shoot for toffee

That will come, I’d recommend just getting him to blast the ball towards goal with both feet even if the net is empty (pr with you in goal). Glad he’s found a seemingly decent team btw!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...