Grassroots Football

pinkeye

My boy played for his Saturday team the other day against an SAFC academy team in a friendy, no heading allowed, they got a penalty and a free kick because some of our boys headed the ball. It’s a natural instinct to head the ball. We lost 3-0!

Oh and good luck to our N.O members’ kids who start their season today and those who are coaching, I can’t wait personally, my boy plays today 7-a-side against arguably the strongest/best coached team in Newcastle who we drew 2-2 with last week in a friendly, although my boy wasn’t there.

We drew 1-1 today, my boy scoring a penalty, great game, we hit the post and bar 3 times and they did twice, very attacking game, much better at 7-a-side. Soacked though…

My lad just started with u7s. Played against a team today where their players were calling our players stupid and telling them they were going to lose. Other team's coaches not bothered. Class. 

My U10s played a tournament today, 3 games, lost 2 and drew 1 but in reality we should have won two, we played really well.

It's incredibly hard as a coach trying to balance wanting a competitive team, by playing your strongest players and not wanting to leave kids out or disappointing parents.

14 hours ago, OCK said:

My lad just started with u7s. Played against a team today where their players were calling our players stupid and telling them they were going to lose. Other team's coaches not bothered. Class. 

That happens a lot sadly at this level, too many coaches and parents wanting to win so badly it then manifests itself to the kids who in turn become little tw@ts!

13 hours ago, STM said:

My U10s played a tournament today, 3 games, lost 2 and drew 1 but in reality we should have won two, we played really well.

It's incredibly hard as a coach trying to balance wanting a competitive team, by playing your strongest players and not wanting to leave kids out or disappointing parents.

I don envy you, but you have to give all kids equal game time and good on you for coaching.

12 hours ago, Myleftboot said:

Watched my lad play since he was 6 years old. Played his first game of the season today at U18’s and by god it was brutal. Hell of a lot of testosterone flying about the pitch.

I’m hoping my boy doesn’t lose his love of playing by that age, I know loads who have though, as you’ve remarked, it’s brutal.

As you all know my lad finished his Grassroots journey at U16 at the end of last season, he has a place at Park View School in Chester Le Street where he will study A Levels and play for their Men's Football Academy.  They started pre-season about a month ago and it seems to have gone very well.  He has got himself into the first team, it looks like it any way....  he wanted to play as a box to box full back on the left (even though he is right footed) but, the coaches had other ideas, he is 6'2" and very muscular / athletic due to his gym addiction and they liked him as a centre back.  They like how he is very calm on the ball and rarely loses it when confronted by attackers as well as his height in defensive heading.  The first team will be fluid and change a bit over the coming weeks, probably until Xmas before they decide on their strongest team so he has to keep working hard.  It will be tough for him to balance the academic stuff with the training but, he is smart and I know he will do well.

First day at the new school is tomorrow so a few nerves are expected, I know he is going to smash it.  

15 hours ago, OCK said:

There's a new initiative brought in by the FA to have "respect marshal's" at every game at that level now. It's more about making sure parents respect the teams and officials, but it's got to be a good thing. 

15 hours ago, STM said:

Just remember its u10s and ultimately you're winning nowt at the end of the season. Are the players getting better? Are they having fun? Are they going to benefit from your coaching when they get to 11-a-side? When I was coaching in grassroots too many coaches would coach to win minisoccer and not develop players for 11-a-side. 

45 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Seems the decision to ban heading has been overturned for the Saturday under 10s league my boy plays in.

Northumberland Football Leagues didn't sign up to be one of the trial leagues this season. Traditionalists. 

7 hours ago, OCK said:

Just remember its u10s and ultimately you're winning nowt at the end of the season. Are the players getting better? Are they having fun? Are they going to benefit from your coaching when they get to 11-a-side? When I was coaching in grassroots too many coaches would coach to win minisoccer and not develop players for 11-a-side. 

Yeah, I'm totally with that.

The issue is that other sides do exactly that, and we end up getting battered from time to time. Getting a heavy defeat is tough for the kids, they lose confidence and it gets them down.

The key is to try and make games competitive, that way they learn regardless of results. It's challenging though.

• 6 months later...

How are the kids seasons (who are playing) going this year?

From my side - with a 17 year old who stopped playing for his Grassroots teams last season - it has been quite a mixed year with the school 6th form he now goes to.  (Park View at Chester Le Street).

My lad plays in what they would class as the second string team for the school, who somehow represent Huddesfield Town in the Northern Championship League, they played far and wide so far with pretty decent results against academies from lower league teams and other schools / organisations as far away as Chesterfield, Liverpool and Manchester.  He also started to play again on a Saturday for Chester Le Street United Reserves.  This is in a really rough and tumble Wearside league up against a mix of young talented teams and older mens sides.  Last weekend they played against a team from Gateshead that has a mix of younger players and three random blokes around 40.  It is a good experience to play against players who have clearly been very good when they were younger and now play a smarter game coupled with some naughty fouls and rough housery.  The Saturday appearances were made on the understanding that when Newcastle were at home he didn't have to play.  This season we have barely played on a Saturday and now as the last Saturday game we had scheduled has been moved to the Sunday he should be there every week.

He was told that they are watching him with a view to moving up to the Ch Le St United first team next season where he would be paid to play...  that would be nice although trying to convince him that he can watch Newcastle for the rest of his life but, only paly football at a good level for a limited time is not really resting in his brain properly...  

Anyway, would be interested to know how the other young 'uns are doing.