Open Wide For Some Soccer! - Poch to the Yanks.

Mike

I don't see how the extent to which he's "American" matters in the slightest. Bradley has been playing in Europe since he was 19. He's clearly quite good enough to play at a high-level in the Eredivisie, Bundesliga, and Serie A and no doubt could continue to play at a high-level in the PL for more than the likes of Stoke (he'd walk into our starting XI with ease).

It's a tired and entirely incorrect argument that says American players are all hustle with little technical ability, as Dempsey and Bradley have proven consistently at the highest levels and what recent U.S. performances, like the one yesterday against Bosnia, have shown.

It matters a great deal where he's from because that's the footballing culture he's been around the majority of his life. He may well have moved to Europe when he was 19, but as a pro that means he's probably got 10-15 years of playing an American game ingrained in him. I see it in my fellow Sounders fans. They fucking love Osvaldo Alonso because he's tough tackling. But he's just such a limited player. A lot of his "tackles" are fouls and he offers very little outside of being a bully. It's the mentality here.

I love it here in the US but it's pretty gutting knowing my kid is going to grow up thinking "soccer" is all about direct running for 90 minutes.

Also, there's no way Bradley would walk into our Newcastle side. He'd be decent backup for Tiote and probably be behind Bigi in the pecking order for a CM spot.

It's interesting you should mention Dempsey. He's rather the exception that proves the rule. He DOES have some technique and skill on the ball and that's made him probably the biggest American player in the world.

First of all, the tenacity and "never quit" attitude so engrained in American sporting mentality has won us many matches that we probably had no business winning (like the game yesterday, when we came back from 2 goals down against what was arguably a better side, in their home stadium). Unlike many top sides who fold like a stack of cards when they start losing, our team doesn't give-up. Maybe that's a bit hyperbolic, but it's also true. You may beat the U.S., but it won't be because they quit at HT.

And yet, anyone who watches U.S. soccer with regularity knows that our players do have technical ability. American soccer is no longer based solely on hard-work. Klinsmann especially has put an onus on finding players who can play high-tempo passing football. We've been winning games the past year or so playing rather attractive football, not bludgeoning other squads to death as the U.S. teams of old might have.

And the bit about him backing-up Bigi is just complete and utter garbage. He's a far better player than Tiote and more developed all-around than Sissoko.

It's also quite ironic that you should criticize American fans for valuing tough-tackling players when so many in English football still place a premium on such qualities. Our own manager being one of them.

I don't see how the extent to which he's "American" matters in the slightest. Bradley has been playing in Europe since he was 19. He's clearly quite good enough to play at a high-level in the Eredivisie, Bundesliga, and Serie A and no doubt could continue to play at a high-level in the PL for more than the likes of Stoke (he'd walk into our starting XI with ease).

It's a tired and entirely incorrect argument that says American players are all hustle with little technical ability, as Dempsey and Bradley have proven consistently at the highest levels and what recent U.S. performances, like the one yesterday against Bosnia, have shown.

It matters a great deal where he's from because that's the footballing culture he's been around the majority of his life. He may well have moved to Europe when he was 19, but as a pro that means he's probably got 10-15 years of playing an American game ingrained in him. I see it in my fellow Sounders fans. They fucking love Osvaldo Alonso because he's tough tackling. But he's just such a limited player. A lot of his "tackles" are fouls and he offers very little outside of being a bully. It's the mentality here.

I love it here in the US but it's pretty gutting knowing my kid is going to grow up thinking "soccer" is all about direct running for 90 minutes.

Also, there's no way Bradley would walk into our Newcastle side. He'd be decent backup for Tiote and probably be behind Bigi in the pecking order for a CM spot.

It's interesting you should mention Dempsey. He's rather the exception that proves the rule. He DOES have some technique and skill on the ball and that's made him probably the biggest American player in the world.

First of all, the tenacity and "never quit" attitude so engrained in American sporting mentality has won us many matches that we probably had no business winning (like the game yesterday, when we came back from 2 goals down against what was arguably a better side, in their home stadium). Unlike many top sides who fold like a stack of cards when they start losing, our team doesn't give-up. Maybe that's a bit hyperbolic, but it's also true. You may beat the U.S., but it won't be because they quit at HT.

And yet, anyone who watches U.S. soccer with regularity knows that our players do have technical ability. Klinsmann especially has put an onus on finding players who can play high-tempo passing football. We've been winning games the past year or so playing rather attractive football, not bludgeoning them to death as the U.S. teams of old might.

And the bit about him backing-up Bigi is just complete and utter garbage. He's a far better player than Tiote and more developed all-around than Sissoko.

I'm not questioning the benefits of tenacity. That's all fine and well. But tenacity alone isn't enough to make up for a skills deficit at the highest level.

What Klinsmann has done more than anything is get your lot organised. The team is setup very well and they're expected to play a strict zonal style of play. It's very disciplined and it has worked wonders. Incidentally, that's also the side of Bradley's game that has improved at Roma. He knows where the manager wants him on the pitch and it has helped him in his particular role.

With the US national team, the added organisation means they're probably going to see off the minnows with relative ease and from time to time pick up a win against much better opposition.

It's good intelligent team play that Klinsmann has given the US. He hasn't gone and turned American players into tiki-taka wizards (or unearthed any). 

Well, yeah. I'm not claiming we're world beaters, because we're not. But even top 20 sides have world-class players. Bradley is ours.

The perceived "skills deficit" has been shrinking year-by-year. This isn't the U.S. team of even 5 years ago. Swap out the kits and you could confuse the U.S. team for many European sides based on style of play.

Well, yeah. I'm not claiming we're world beaters, because we're not. But even top 20 sides have world-class players. Bradley is ours.

The perceived "skills deficit" has been shrinking year-by-year. This isn't the U.S. team of even 5 years ago. Swap out the kits and you could confuse the U.S. team for many European sides based on style of play.

Why couldn't a "world class" player get a game for Villa? Surely even Alex McLeish wouldn't have left him out so much if he was "World Class"?

Only playing Devil's Advocate btw O0

He isn't great but he's the best player we've got. I think he'd be a good starter on a mid-table premier league club but not someone I'd want here. Roma is probably too good for him and he shouldn't be there long with Strootman coming in. A few years ago I would have rated Holden higher but Bradley has definitely improved a lot since then.

You really think that? I think the current Roma team (challenging for Europa League) is pretty much the perfect level for him.

They seem to have higher ambitions than that now. Challenging for the Europa League is perfect. I could see him somewhere like WBA, Fulham or possibly even Everton. I forget that Roma have American owners so maybe that changes things. It's just hard to see a new manager leaving one of the highest paid players and club legend on the bench right from the start. I want him playing every game, which is why I'm worried about it.

You have a very loose definition of "world class."

Very.

You have a very loose definition of "world class."

Why couldn't a "world class" player get a game for Villa? Surely even Alex McLeish wouldn't have left him out so much if he was "World Class"?

I dunno, why does Pardew insist on playing Jonas 30+ matches a year? Incompetence does exist among PL managers and McLeish has proven to be a dullard. Bradley left Villa, went to Chievo and played so well that Roma sprung for him, and he played more minutes for them than any other midfielder in their squad last season.

Bradley's a class player - he's our best and most important player and has been for the last few years. Suggesting otherwise is an outlandish claim.

Yes and yes.

He's just not world class. He's not.

Agree.

I dunno, why does Pardew insist on playing Jonas 30+ matches a year? Incompetence does exist among PL managers and McLeish has proven to be a dullard. Bradley left Villa, went to Chievo and played so well that Roma sprung for him, and he played more minutes for them than any other midfielder in their squad last season.

But "world" class. Come on Deuce, he isn't "world" class is he? He wouldn't get anywhere near an England midfield, and we don't really have any "world" class midfielders.

Well I happen to think, in time, if given the chance to proven himself, he'd crack the England XI. But I know that'll just seem laughable. It's alright.

Fine, we can remove that pesky adjective if it so affronts. I know how damning they can be and how important arguments of semantics are.

Dude had the third best passing percentage in the Serie A last season and he would be Bigi's backup :lol:

You can cherry pick any stats you like to prove your point. Would it make any difference to your opinion if I posted his tackling %age? Goal scoring ratio? Discipline record?

Probably not.

On the whole he has some decent attributes. He's a professional footballer. But he's not "world class," he's not going to be the match winner, he's not even the difference between winning and losing most weeks. He's tidy. He's professional. He'll do as he's told.

I like to see more in a player.

Dude had the third best passing percentage in the Serie A last season and he would be Bigi's backup :lol:

You can cherry pick any stats you like to prove your point. Would it make any difference to your opinion if I posted his tackling %age? Goal scoring ratio? Discipline record?

Probably not.

On the whole he has some decent attributes. He's a professional footballer. But he's not "world class," he's not going to be the match winner, he's not even the difference between winning and losing most weeks. He's tidy. He's professional. He'll do as he's told.

You mean like yesterday?

Probably not.

You mean like yesterday?

Altidore might have an opinion on the matter.

But "world" class. Come on Deuce, he isn't "world" class is he? He wouldn't get anywhere near an England midfield, and we don't really have any "world" class midfielders.

:lol:

As a neutral, Bradley would walk into the England midfield. And saying that does not make him "world class". Wouldn't say he's the best player the US have either tbh.

Probably not.

You mean like yesterday?

Look who created 2/4 with superb passes, him and Altidore both did it. And he's done it for the US many times.

How is a fucking passing percentage cherry picking a stat? That's as important as it gets, I've already questioned your opinions without stats anyway.

Probably not.

You mean like yesterday?

Look who created 2/4 with superb passes, him and Altidore both did it. And he's done it for the US many times.

How is a fucking passing percentage cherry picking a stat? That's as important as it gets, I've already questioned your opinions without stats anyway.

Stats without context mean nothing.

As a team Swansea have very good passing stats.

:lol:

As a neutral, Bradley would walk into the England midfield. And saying that does not make him "world class". Wouldn't say he's the best player the US have either tbh.

I still think Dempsey is the "best" player we have, but Bradley is the most important. We can win games without Dempsey, or Donovan, or Altidore. But we lose that game yesterday, and most games, without Bradley. He controls the game for us.

You're all cunts. I was going to spend my evening doing valuable life things, but now I'm going to be looking through back catalogues of Michael Bradley performances. And it's not like it's going to be a goal reel, it's going to be 4000 sideways passes :anguish:

I'll report back with my findings tomorrow, put this thing to bed.