Open Wide For Some Soccer! - Poch to the Yanks.

Mike

None of those clubs have English flags on their crests though. Have a look at their respective cities crests and flags which pre date the clubs by a few hundred years.

Eh? Im not implying English people discovered these cities.  Those clubs all have the Flag of St George on their club badges.

What European clubs have English flags on their badges?

Genoa, Milan, Barcelona just off the top of my head. There are more though.

That's because the Cross of Saint George is part of the city of Barcelona's crest. Saint George being the patron saint of Catalonia.

The clubs incorporate their cities flag into their badges. In Genoa and Barca's case the St George's cross was their city flag/crest since the middle ages also around the same time that England started to use the St George cross. Milans flag is identical to the St George cross but did not derive from it.

The English flag is a St George Cross however the St George Cross is not exclusively an English Flag.

They played a variation of football in China 2000 years ago, man, as well as tons of other cases all over the world. England invented the modern day rules in the 18th century and popularized it. I wouldn't say they invented football, but they created the football we know today due to their rules being brought all over the world due to imperialism.

:lol: No they didn't. Kicking a ball about is not football, it's kicking a ball about. Just like how having a scrap outside of a cave 4000 years ago wasn't boxing.

They played a variation of football in China 2000 years ago, man, as well as tons of other cases all over the world. England invented the modern day rules in the 18th century and popularized it. I wouldn't say they invented football, but they created the football we know today due to their rules being brought all over the world due to imperialism.

:lol: No they didn't. Kicking a ball about is not football, it's kicking a ball about. Just like how having a scrap outside of a cave 4000 years ago wasn't boxing.

When you wouldn't have modern day football without these "kickabouts" it clearly evolves from them. Calcio Fiorentino for instance had two goals, a pitch the size of around a normal football pitch, but 27 players on each team. These early variations mean as much for the modern game of football, perfected by the English in the 18th century, as our monkey ancestors matter in regards to what makes us human. It's not the same species/sport today, but we'd not be the same without them.

The clubs incorporate their cities flag into their badges. In Genoa and Barca's case the St George's cross was their city flag/crest since the middle ages also around the same time that England started to use the St George cross. Milans flag is identical to the St George cross but did not derive from it.

The English flag is a St George Cross however the St George Cross is not exclusively an English Flag.

However it seems your facts are correct whereas my assumptions aren't.  However my point of English folk founding clubs all over the world is correct. We did take the game to the world.

However it seems your facts are correct whereas my assumptions aren't.  However my point of English folk founding clubs all over the world is correct. We did take the game to the world.

Don't think anyone is disputing the fact the English made the game as popular across the world as it is today, or that it deserves to host the WC again ahead of the likes of fucking Russia.

If we're going down this route then, are we crediting the Dutch and Belgians with the invention of ice hockey?

Stick-and-ball games date back to pre-Christian times. In Europe, these games included the Irish game of hurling, the closely related Scottish game of shinty and versions of field hockey (including "bandie ball," played in England). IJscolf, a game resembling colf on an ice-covered surface, was popular in the Low Countries between the Middle Ages and the Dutch Golden Age. It was played with a wooden curved bat (called a colf or kolf), a wooden or leather ball and two poles (or nearby landmarks), with the objective to hit the chosen point using the least number of strokes.

When you wouldn't have modern day football without these "kickabouts" it clearly evolves from them. Calcio Fiorentino for instance had two goals, a pitch the size of around a normal football pitch, but 27 players on each team. These early variations mean as much for the modern game of football, perfected by the English in the 18th century, as our monkey ancestors matter in regards to what makes us human. It's not the same species/sport today, but we'd not be the same without them.

Yeah, that sounds absolutely nothing like football. A sport is defined by it's rules, not the apparatus used. It's what separates rugby from american football, pool from snooker, poker from blackjack.

Guest chopey

I dont think anyone should be able to host it twice until its been around everyone

At last, some logic to the Qatar world cup  :lol:

Right on brother, and why cant we have heated stadiums in Antarctica ?

If we're going down this route then, are we crediting the Dutch and Belgians with the invention of ice hockey?

Stick-and-ball games date back to pre-Christian times. In Europe, these games included the Irish game of hurling, the closely related Scottish game of shinty and versions of field hockey (including "bandie ball," played in England). IJscolf, a game resembling colf on an ice-covered surface, was popular in the Low Countries between the Middle Ages and the Dutch Golden Age. It was played with a wooden curved bat (called a colf or kolf), a wooden or leather ball and two poles (or nearby landmarks), with the objective to hit the chosen point using the least number of strokes.

I wasn't saying the English didn't invent/perfect the modern game, man. I was just saying it's not right thinking the English were the first ones to think "hey, let's invent a sport where we kick a ball into a goal". The English themselves got the early versions of ball games from other places in the world, but football as we know it today is because of the English perfection of said games.

Same reasoning I use for this conundrum. Why can we not have a cold World Cup. A wintertime one. Fuck domestic seasons. If the Qatar one will be in our winter, then why shouldn't Northern Europe host one in winter?

Same reasoning I use for this conundrum. Why can we not have a cold World Cup. A wintertime one. f*** domestic seasons. If the Qatar one will be in our winter, then why shouldn't Northern Europe host one in winter?

Orange football. Blue pitch markings also cut out in snow. Elderly fans going arse-over-tit trying to get up the steps.

:megusta: