Open Wide For Some Soccer! - Poch to the Yanks.

Mike

no he wasn't.  Reyna was a good leader, but by then was past it, and tended to really destroy their counter-attacks by slowing everything down too much.

There's just no way. I was at that World Cup, I remember as it was yesterday. I will have to go hunting for some articles, there's no way my memory can be this bad, although it has been over 10 years so I might be wrong.

in this case, you may be wrong, man.  Reyna was a detriment to the attacking exuberance more often than not.  At the same time, he did steady things, and kept the youth from fucking things up with their enthusiastic ignorance, but his style took a lot away as well.  Reyna was already a rapidly fading force by 2002.

But to me, Donovan was clearly the best player.  That one player who scared the shit out of opposing teams.

If you were true Sunderland fans you'd already be on board after the Reyna shindig there. Turncoat scum.

:lol:

in this case, you may be wrong, man.  Reyna was a detriment to the attacking exuberance more often than not.  At the same time, he did steady things, and keep the youth from f***ing things up with their enthusiastic ignorance, but his style took a lot away as well.  Reyna was already a rapidly fading force by 2002.

I don't remember it like that and I see he was chosen into the World Cup All-Star team. No signs of any other Americans there...I stil might be wrong, but I certainly remembered him being good at the World Cup.

Donovan was excellent against Germany too. So much running. Although I still think there's a reason to why me and FIFA though Reyna was class. But I'll give QuakesMag the benefit of the doubt because he'sa genuine guy and I'll trust him.

I remember waking up at 3am to watch the Portuga game petrified, because of all of the Portugal hype.  I put a kettle on the STOVE, Mike, and within 5 minutes I heard a goal from the kitchen.  I of course threw a tantrum, because we couldn't even hold out for 5 fucking minutes, only to be shocked when I saw it was US.  Then we dismantled them in the first half.

That was such a game, man!  Was utterly exhausted at work, but it was well worth it.

Donovan was good rather than spectacular in both his short spells at Everton. Actually, I can't really remember him much from his last one.

I'll always think of him as one of those players who was always great for his country, but frankly his club career barely even worthy of mention in terms of where it matters and thats in Europe/out of his comfort zone. Borgetti, Blanco, Hakan Sukur, Ali Daei, Ali Karimi etc I'd apply similar labels to off the top of my head.

Donovan was good rather than spectacular in both his short spells at Everton. Actually, I can't really remember him much from his last one.

I'll always think of him as one of those players who was always great for his country, but frankly his club career barely even worthy of mention in terms of where it matters and thats in Europe/out of his comfort zone. Borgetti, Blanco, Hakan Sukur, Ali Daei, Ali Karimi etc I'd apply similar labels to off the top of my head.

Seeing Donovan develop, I would say he was very different.  His natural skill, intelligence and his unbelievable pace was something else.  He looked like he was playing 5-year olds in the MLS when he was 18.  He was on such a different plane.  His problem has been his obsessive fear of the unknown.  We used to talk to him in pubs after Quakes games, and he was such a timid guy.  I remember being worried about how that would affect him later.  I really think he could have been something else.  He needed to seriously challenge himself against better players regularly though, but he just didn't have the mentality for it. 

He's always been a soft-spoken guy. Never one to be a vocal leader on the field for the U.S., which is why he's not spent much time as captain imo (though he was LA's captain for a long-time).

Marcus f***ing Haber.. he is playing non-league!

Will be interesting to see where Atiba ends up, surprised he is without a club. I am sure MLS clubs are making a play for him. He is exactly what Vancouver need to get Davidson out of the team.

Apparently Vancouver's Camilo is working on his Canadian permanent residency/citizenship. So they might actually have a goal-scorer in the next 5 years. :lol:

Know much about that Cavallini kid, playing in Uruguay?

Marcus f***ing Haber.. he is playing non-league!

Will be interesting to see where Atiba ends up, surprised he is without a club. I am sure MLS clubs are making a play for him. He is exactly what Vancouver need to get Davidson out of the team.

Apparently Vancouver's Camilo is working on his Canadian permanent residency/citizenship. So they might actually have a goal-scorer in the next 5 years. :lol:

Know much about that Cavallini kid, playing in Uruguay?

It's Edinson CAVANI. Very good player. :p