Open Wide For Some Soccer!

Mike

A few personnel changes I'd like to see, considering the current roster, include: Jose Torres in central midfield. Klinsmann has routinely played him out of position either at left midfield or as a CAM, where he's struggled. He's really the only midfielder on the roster with any composure on the ball. Play him in his natural position, CM, and let him dictate the tempo.

I'll be p*ssed if either Beckerman or Edu is on the field.

Absolutely YES. :thup:

Also please no Carlos Bocanegra.

Torres in the middle won Pachuca 2 titles in Mexico - he is an excellent player and would be playing regularly for Mexico had he chose to do so.

Nah I've been refreshing Twitter pretty regularly for the past 30 minutes or so. I'll post it when it comes up.

Jamaica is coming out with a 4-3-3. Interesting for a team that should be trying to park the bus all night. The U.S. should be able to exploit the back-line. Unless our line-up includes 3 defensive midfielders. Again.

Howard; Cherundolo, Cameron, Bocanegra, Johnson; Jones, Zusi, Williams, Torres; Dempsey, Gomez

I have no clue how this line-up is supposed to shake-out. With the exception of maybe Zusi, there's no real wide player among the front 6:

--------------------------Gomez------------------------

Dempsey-------------------------------------------Zusi

--------------------------Torres-------------------------

---------------Jones---------------Williams------------

----------------------------------------------------------

Johnson-----------------------------------Cherundolo

-------------Bocanegra-----Cameron-----------------

------------------------Howard-------------------------

Or could shape-up like a 4-1-3-2 with Williams the lone holding mid and Torres, Jones, and Zusi ahead of him.

Just seen that the 4th placed team in CONCACAF will play-off against Oceania :facepalm:

I thought after the last WCQ campaign FIFA had actually looked at a map. Alas not.

I mean, in terms of regional strength, it's the weakest confederation vs. the 2nd weakest. Though New Zealand more than held their own at the last WC and the minnows of CONCACAF (Honduras, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Panama, and Canada) are improving by leaps and bounds.

Does make some sense to do a CONCACAF-CONMEBOL playoff though.

I do not like that back line. Bocanegra and Cherundolo will get done for pace and Cameron is not playing in his strongest position - although I guess Stoke will be playing him there.

I am thinking this could be a 3-2 or 3-3 game.

Nervous.

Just seen that the 4th placed team in CONCACAF will play-off against Oceania :facepalm:

I thought after the last WCQ campaign FIFA had actually looked at a map. Alas not.

I mean, in terms of regional strength, it's the weakest confederation vs. the 2nd weakest. Though New Zealand more than held their own at the last WC and the minnows of CONCACAF (Honduras, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Panama, and Canada) are improving by leaps and bounds.

Does make some sense to do a CONCACAF-CONMEBOL playoff though.

Yep.

The cross-continental play-offs while intriguing, are completely nonsensical. Especially considering they seem to just change them round at a whim now.

I do not like that back line. Bocanegra and Cherundolo will get done for pace and Cameron is not playing in his strongest position - although I guess Stoke will be playing him there.

I am thinking this could be a 3-2 or 3-3 game.

Nervous.

I'm actually feeling most confident about the back-line :lol:

I think Boca is just gonna park his ass around the box all night, I'll be shocked if he comes more than 20 yards out (except for set pieces). He'll let Cameron do the trotting out. Dolo and Johnson will have to 'cherundolo' up the wings because this side has absolutely no width from the front 6.

--------------------------Gomez------------------------

----------------Dempsey-------------------------------

--------------------------Torres-------------------------

----------------Jones---------------Zusi----------------

-------------------------Williams-----------------------

Johnson-----------------------------------Cherundolo

---------------Bocanegra-----Cameron---------------

-------------------------Howard-------------------------

Enjoy seeing players for small nations rack up large international goalscoring records. Carlos Ruiz scored his 53rd tonight (they're 0-1 up, not sure if this is good or bad for US).

Would prefer a result for Antigua.