Open Wide For Some Soccer!

Mike

Or, keeping things closer to how they are now, get a real attacking-minded midfielder in there. Bradley can play box-to-box and Williams is good on defense/holding, but none of Bradley/Williams/Jones/Edu/Beckerman are attacking midfielders. Need someone like Feilhaber there. In an ideal world, this is Stu Holden's position.

Howard                                           

Cameron                  Bocanegra                       

Cherundolo                                                  F. Johnson

v            << Williams                  Bradley >>          v

v                              Feilhaber                                v

Zusi                  Dempsey

Gomez

But again, you're relying almost entirely on the fullbacks for any width, which they may or may not provide.

The US is such a spoiled nation. You had the World Cup less than 20 years ago! England, the creator of football, has hosted it once. Brazil will have waited 64 years for a second shot.

DMX...is that Pontius from DC? I don't watch or follow your league, but I know of him.

Yeah from DC. I'm a DC fan, but I also think he's objectively a very good player. Could make the transition to Europe quite well, much like Dempsey at Fulham a few years ago. Left winger who can also play as a center striker or withdrawn forward. Not as potentially explosive as Brek Shea, but a tougher and more well-rounded player.

The US is such a spoiled nation. You had the World Cup less than 20 years ago! England, the creator of football, has hosted it once. Brazil will have waited 64 years for a second shot.

DMX...is that Pontius from DC? I don't watch or follow your league, but I know of him.

Yeah from DC. I'm a DC fan, but I also think he's objectively a very good player. Could make the transition to Europe quite well, much like Dempsey at Fulham a few years ago. Left winger who can also play as a center striker or withdrawn forward. Not as potentially explosive as Brek Shea, but a tougher and more well-rounded player.

Hope he makes it, then. I used to go to a few matches down at their stadium and the fans were always quite good, better than the football. Luciano Emilio was unbelievable as well. :lol:

On break with Molde currently. Probably the most impressive player on the pitch against Canada a few weeks ago. Which isn't saying a whole lot, but in his limited appearances (v. Russia and Canada), he's looked every bit as good as people are making him out to be.

Should be a mainstay in the roster from now on, imo. Easily the fastest player in the U.S. pool, offers that fresh pace off the bench that could be critical in the final 15 of any qualifying match.

Not sure what more Pontius needs to do in order to get selected, he looks exactly the type of player we could use. His injuries haven't helped obviously, but he's is still relatively young and has proven everything at an MLS level. I'd rather see people like him, than players who have been selected a bunch of times and have consistently disappointed.

Hope he makes it, then. I used to go to a few matches down at their stadium and the fans were always quite good, better than the football. Luciano Emilio was unbelievable as well. :lol:

RFK Stadium :lol: Like playing in a national team stadium in Central America

Luciano was dynamite those few short seasons in D.C. Great player.

Not sure what more Pontius needs to do in order to get selected, he looks exactly the type of player we could use. His injuries haven't helped obviously, but he's is still relatively young and has proven everything at an MLS level. I's rather see people like him, than players who have been selected a bunch of times and have consistently disappointed.

Honestly I think it's just been the injuries holding him back. Just always seems to pick-up something at the worst time.

When I lived in NY I tried as hard as I could to support the NYRB. It was just impossible, like trying to kiss the ugliest chick at the party, who's also mean and likes to tell racist jokes.

The Cosmos I could have got behind....

:lol: I can't support Beverage FC. Can't get into it.

Torres needs to be starting too.  Along with Gomez.

Torres has one role that he's good at: central midfield. Not attacking midfield, not defensive midfield. Klinsmann likes to play him at winger for some reason, where he's absolutely useless. Sit Torres smack dab in the middle of the field and he's a useful player.

Not sure why we (myself included) expected Klinnsman to be such a godsend back when he signed up. Isn't this his first head coaching job? Seems to be making a mess of it, imo.

Except for with Germany which Löw was probably the brains behind it all along and briefly with Munich which wasn't very successful. I think the fact that he's a 'big' name has raised expectations that he will suddenly transform mediocre players into a world class team.

In retrospect, Klinsmann should have been hired exclusively as a technical director overseeing the complete re-tool of soccer in the U.S. A lot of Germany's youth resurgence the past few years can be credited to the work Klinsmann did in overhauling their system. He has helped with that in his capacity as national team manager here too, but I don't think he's a great tactics/personnel guy.

I'd like to see Peter Vermes, Jason Kreis, or Ben Olsen take the reins in a few years.

Ben Olsen :smitten: he's like John O'Brien to me. Players who could have been some of our all time greats. Same goes for Stu Holden - but time is still on his side. Ill throw in Charlie Davies as I still to this day feel like he could have been a real top player held in a similar regard as Dempsey is these days.

Deuce - top posts man. I dont disagree with much of what you've said. Most importantly Klinsmann as technical director. Which I was clamoring about for ages. He has a real love for this country and has all the right ideas in terms of "fixing" our game and setup. I'm not sure being manager was or is the best fit for him.  I actually hope that if/when his reign does end - he does get an upstairs seat as he legitimizes our program from not only his name and fame but from the fact he gets how our sports culture works here.