Alexander Isak

Disco

33 minutes ago, FLUMPO235 said:

No one knows what it is, but it’s provocative. It gets the people going. 

It's some wonderfull imaginary number that dorks use to slam their team when they lose, and praise them when they win.

So in the real non-spreadsheet world its nothing more than the fantasies of wannabe statisticians 

12 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

xG= shoulda, woulda, coulda

Same as the lad who reckons he was nailed on to pull at least 3 scorchers on his night out, but he actually went home on his own for a pot noodle and a wank 

So basically what I said :lol:

1 hour ago, bobbydazzla said:

xG= shoulda, woulda, coulda

Same as the lad who reckons he was nailed on to pull at least 3 scorchers on his night out, but he actually went home on his own for a pot noodle and a wank 

You've never walked out of the match and said "we were lucky, they missed three sitters they'd put away on another day" ?

18 minutes ago, madras said:

You've never walked out of the match and said "we were lucky, they missed three sitters they'd put away on another day" ?

Aye, I have. Many times 

But I’ve never walked out of the match and talked about our xG and why it would potentially improve if our number 10 was swapped with a number 6 who can play by an inverted double pivot 

Edited by bobbydazzla

1 minute ago, bobbydazzla said:

Aye, I have. Many times 

But I’ve never walked out of the match and talked about our xG and why it would potentially improve if our number 10 was swapped with a number 6 who can play by an inverted double pivot 

It's basically the same thing. Higher xG just means more  better chances.

4 minutes ago, madras said:

It's basically the same thing. Higher xG just means more  better chances.

I know that, but why not just say we created a few / loads of chances that are / aren’t being converted to goals 

Why the need to talk in some new statto language that means absolutely nowt to most ordinary people

Maybe I’m just getting old 

Edited by bobbydazzla

Just now, bobbydazzla said:

I know that, but why not just say we created chances that are / aren’t being converted to goals 

Why the need to talk in some new statto language that means absolutely nowt to most ordinary people

Maybe I’m just getting old 

It’s not perfect and I don’t fully understand it. But isn’t it just a way of putting all of that first paragraph into a number for analysis purposes?

Obviously if you’re talking about your team down the pub with mates. You’re going to talk about specific chances and goals we should have scored. 

I think it’s a great tool to have to help form part of a bigger argument and debate. But pretty pointless in isolation or to use it as the be all and end all. 

55 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

It’s not perfect and I don’t fully understand it. But isn’t it just a way of putting all of that first paragraph into a number for analysis purposes?

Obviously if you’re talking about your team down the pub with mates. You’re going to talk about specific chances and goals we should have scored. 

I think it’s a great tool to have to help form part of a bigger argument and debate. But pretty pointless in isolation or to use it as the be all and end all. 

Are we creating chances, are we converting those chances, are we scoring more than the opposition. That’s all 99% of fans need to discuss about attacking threat   

Unless someone is a professional data analyst then referring to xG as a reason why results aren’t as bad as they appear to be is merely a comfort blanket for hipsters after dropped points 

Edited by bobbydazzla

46 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Are we creating chances, are we converting those chances, are we scoring more than the opposition. That’s all 99% of fans need to discuss about attacking threat   

Unless someone is a professional data analyst then referring to xG as a reason why results aren’t as bad as they appear to be is merely a comfort blanket for hipsters after dropped points 

That is all that number represents. It isn't perfect and it isn't the only thing to look at but it's something quantified. 

Down the pub having a sociable pint, discussion turns to who pulled last night

Lad 1 says, chatted up a couple of lasses but didn’t seal the deal so I went home for a pot noodle and a wank 

Lad 2 gets his spreadsheet out and says, well my xG says I created enough chances to pull, so even though I went home alone for a pot noodle and a wank I’m still feeling confident that I won’t be a virgin forever 

No one goes for a sociable pint with Lad 2 ever again 

Edited by bobbydazzla

7 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Down the pub having a sociable pint, discussion turns to who successfully pulled last night

Lad 1 says, chatted up a couple of lasses but didn’t seal the deal so I went home for a pot noodle and a wank 

Lad 2 gets his spreadsheet out and says, well my xG says I created enough chances to pull, so even though I went home alone for a pot noodle and a wank I’m still feeling confident that I won’t be a virgin forever 

No one goes for a sociable pint with Lad 2 ever again 

Lad 2 is probably a person for a coffee rather than a pint. Lad 2 is probs me?

Different minds work different ways.