Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability: Forest unsuccessful in appeal against four-point deduction

Mattoon

32 minutes ago, maze said:

This rule will ultimately end my interest in foreign football all together. Purely because it’s rigged to ensure that no one can ever compete with the biggest Clubs. The occasional fluke will happen during a freak season, but that’s it. 

There are some on here that don’t think that a legal challenge against FFP and FMV should be made, it is the only way, let a competition tribunal make the definitive decision on the legality of these rules. 

If we don’t challenge them we’ll be nothing more than a top half club that might win the odd cup. Many might be happy with that, I’m not🤷🏼‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Ben said:

I think the tide is starting to turn regards FFP, we need to stop clubs going into debt with dodgy owners putting clubs into danger through leveraged buyouts, investment is totally different.

I would still want controls in place over investment levels.  Unfettered investment could destroy the game (or at least ruin it further).  PIF shouldn’t be able to just come in and hoy a billion down in one window

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I would still want controls in place over investment levels.  Unfettered investment could destroy the game (or at least ruin it further).  PIF shouldn’t be able to just come in and hoy a billion down in one window

Agree there should be some restriction, the rules at the minute effectively mean it’s very unlikely any team can compete long term with the current big 6. There is something very wrong with that.

11 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

You’re describing FFP and FMV, that’s exactly what it does, put controls in place that benefits cartel clubs.

Just now, FloydianMag said:

You’re describing FFP and FMV, that’s exactly what it does, put controls in place that benefits cartel clubs.

I’ve no issue with FFP and FMV.  I have an issue with the manner they’ve been implemented and who did the implementing.  

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’ve no issue with FFP and FMV.  I have an issue with the manner they’ve been implemented and who did the implementing.  

FFP and FMV are anti competitive and have no place in football, owners are responsible for their spending, spend recklessly and you go under as in any sector of business. Football is a business these days, it isn’t special, it isn’t entitled to implement rules that protect 5 to 6 clubs, change is needed and the sooner the better.

39 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

FFP and FMV are anti competitive and have no place in football, owners are responsible for their spending, spend recklessly and you go under as in any sector of business. Football is a business these days, it isn’t special, it isn’t entitled to implement rules that protect 5 to 6 clubs, change is needed and the sooner the better.

Nah bollocks to all of that.  Can’t be arsed with right wing libertarian pish in football

I’ve no doubt that everyone who is anti-FFP is doing it for sincere reasons - the good of the game etc.  And not just because they think it’s hindering NUFC - which is why this thread has been around since FFP was introduced …

Financial controls in football are a good thing.  The clubs setting their own rules is not - I’ve far less issue with UEFA’s regs than the PL’s because of it.

FMV is more of an issue, again partially for the same reasons.

Football isn’t ’just another business under competition law btw.  The specificity of sport has case law surrounding it.  It’s not just ‘yeah that’s just restraint of trade so you can stop that my lad’. 

12 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Nah bollocks to all of that.  Can’t be arsed with right wing libertarian pish in football

Got the wrong person……voted labour all my life but not interested in all that communist shite.

1 hour ago, Ben said:

I think the tide is starting to turn regards FFP, we need to stop clubs going into debt with dodgy owners putting clubs into danger through leveraged buyouts, investment is totally different.

We also need to stop wealthy owners turning leagues into a monopoly. We should also break up current monopolies.  

FFP only benefits the established monopoly. 

We need to actively try and turn public opinion against FFP. 

4 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Got the wrong person……voted labour all my life but not interested in all that communist shite.

It’s not communist to want controls in football.  It’s a position of complete selfishness to want to wreck football so that your team can spunk unlimited money on footballers.  

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s not communist to want controls in football.  It’s a position of complete selfishness to want to wreck football so that your team can spunk unlimited money on footballers.  

Agreed.  

I think once you get to the top you should have financial limitations to ensure competition is alive. 

There’s no will for that at the elite level though.  

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’ve no doubt that everyone who is anti-FFP is doing it for sincere reasons - the good of the game etc.  And not just because they think it’s hindering NUFC - which is why this thread has been around since FFP was introduced …

Financial controls in football are a good thing.  The clubs setting their own rules is not - I’ve far less issue with UEFA’s regs than the PL’s because of it.

FMV is more of an issue, again partially for the same reasons.

Football isn’t ’just another business under competition law btw.  The specificity of sport has case law surrounding it.  It’s not just ‘yeah that’s just restraint of trade so you can stop that my lad’. 

You won’t agree but a lot of recent cases supersedes the Mecca-Medina agreement I suspect you’re referring to re sport being special.

https://www.blackstonechambers.com/podcasts/the-sports-law-podcast/the-sport-and-competition-law-podcast/

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

You sound like you’re quite happy for the red cartel to continue as they are.

You won’t agree but a lot of recent cases supersedes the Mecca-Medina agreement I suspect you’re referring to re sport being special.

https://www.blackstonechambers.com/podcasts/the-sports-law-podcast/the-sport-and-competition-law-podcast/

I will give it a listen, though I do know of course that NDM is from Blackstone.  We’ll see tbf - if it is that apparent, Everton or someone else will take the PL to court, win easily, and we’ll be paying Mbappe a billion a week in no time

You sound like you’re quite happy for the red cartel to continue as they are.

No, it’s not ‘either/or’.  I never said that.  I do have an issue with the way FFP is implemented at present.  I don’t have an issue with FFP as a concept.  And I am also aware that all removing it would do is create a big seven instead of a big six - I don’t want that either, even if NUFC is part of it.  We’d be just like them. 

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Agreed.  

I think once you get to the top you should have financial limitations to ensure competition is alive. 

There’s no will for that at the elite level though.  

You think competition is alive? Until Abu Dhabi and Abramovich turned up look at the honours and who won them all. Call that competition, I call it something else.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We shouldn't just be able to spend billions on players, but we should be able to spend the same on fees and wages as what everyone is capable of when we have proof of funds, etc.

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We shouldn't just be able to spend billions on players, but we should be able to spend the same on fees and wages as what everyone is capable of when we have proof of funds, etc.

I’m not advocating for something that doesn’t look like that.  That’s why I said I’d want FFP amended, not removed.  Removing it completely would create a damaging free-for-all and ridiculous inflationary pressures.  

6 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

You think competition is alive? Until Abu Dhabi and Abramovich turned up look at the honours and who won them all. Call that competition, I call it something else.

You’d only be adding Newcastle to that list.  I don’t think you’re arguing for the good of football, but for your own interest in NUFC. 

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

You’d only be adding Newcastle to that list.  I don’t think you’re arguing for the good of football, but for your own interest in NUFC. 

As I said in an earlier post, football and altruism aren’t good bed fellows, self interest is all that exists in football and sport in general, at elite level, winning is all that matters. Oh and yes I want Newcastle to join them because they certainly aren’t going away.

Edited by FloydianMag

40 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

No. That's my point.

"There’s no will for that at the elite level though. "

28 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The way to solve it would be to have an aligned transfer and wage cap for all Premier League clubs, that you can go up to by either turnover or owner proof of funds.

Which could be along the lines of £200 million net spend on transfers and a £350 million wage bill per season.