Bournemouth 1-1 Newcastle United (11/02/2023)

Disco

18 minutes ago, TRon said:

Everyone wasn't bad tbh. Joelinton and Gordon were both very decent.

Fair enough they were not bad. But not that good. Schaar, Botman, and Trippier were also steady. No great performances today. Distinctly lacking the quality needed to seize three points. I agree with those who say that this was our worst performance of the season.

Edited by gazza ladra

It's definitely the case that in the coming years we are going to have an element in our fanbase that is one of the worst in the country. Let's just hope that they are a very small minority and the majority can keep these tools firmly in their box.

However I do think that most fans now have their eyes and hearts on the final, so a performance like that tonight has got people panicking. Today was absolutely turgid but the nature of the performance was unlike any other we have seen under Eddie Howe. We were genuinely dreadful in almost every outfield position. Let's just hope it's largely down to some subconscious nervous energy leading up to the final because we couldn't string two passes together out there tonight, and if we do that again in the next two matches we will get mullered. 

I'm not that bothered about a top 6 finish compared to winning the cup so I'd gladly take one last heroic performance of the season to win the cup, and therefore sacrifice any kind of Europe-qualifying league position.

Just now, Theregulars said:

Cool - care to meet the argument with an actual argument as opposed to cliche after cliche? I suspect you don’t have one.

?? You're actually arguing with yourself about how badly we played today. I've just tried to give some perspective on our drop off in form, how we are punching above our weight and overreaction of some fans.

Seems like my entitled arseholes comment touched a nerve if you ask me?

5 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Totally see the big picture. To be clear: we are having a great season. I am very impressed with all involved. However, today’s performance was shit. I’m not saying it invalidates everything, but today’s performance was undoubtedly not a good performance. It’s brain-rot to disagree. We passed the ball to the other side over and over again.

Nobody is saying it was a great performance, but there has been an over reaction writing players off and saying we’ve been found out. There’s undoubtedly a whinging element to our support at present which has also infested SJP, where folk now turn up expecting to be entertained instead of supporting a team playing above the sum of its parts.

Edited by Whitley mag

Just now, UncleBingo said:

?? You're actually arguing with yourself about how badly we played today. I've just tried to give some perspective on our drop off in form, how we are punching above our weight and overreaction of some fans.

Seems like my entitled arseholes comment touched a nerve if you ask me?

Nope, not arguing with myself at all. I’ve been consistent in my analysis: we were shit. My point is that the excuses you give don’t justify a performance that poor. I think they justify looking below par and a bit knackered; not being unable to pass the ball to your own teammates or having no identifiable offensive strategy. 

Held giving immediate post match thoughts off for a bit as I can be guilty of being ABSEWLEWTLY FEWMIN after crap results, but here goes. IMO, we were shit today and got a naff result against a poor side that will most likely be relegated this season. But…

- We were due this I think. Our squad is thin on strength in depth, we all knew this at the start of the season hence the predictions of us mostly finishing 10th-6th in the summer. As soon as injuries and fatigue (given the number of games we’ve played in the last month) set in we’d have to resort to giving the likes of Murphy, Anderson et al minutes in the PL which will cost us as they’re not good enough. We knew this.

- We’re still doing unbelievably well. Club record unbeaten run? In the top 4 in February? In a cup final? Scandalous. That’s a credit to Howe and these players.

- Today was still really poor. There was a disconnect between the back 4 and midfield in our build up and our passing has been way off for a while now. Parts of Southampton (a) in the cup, Palace (a) and West Ham (h) were noticeably poor. Even with Almiron’s goal, I thought everyone bar Pope and Joelinton were poor tonight.

- Burn was especially poor and probably needs a rest, though we can’t afford that as the alternatives are Lewis and Dummett. He’s okay when we’re more defensive or sat off teams but when we have the onus on us to break sides down he’s not a great full back. Offers nowt going forward and had a poor game all round tonight.

- Our attacking play needs a rethink. 3 goals in 6 PL games? Not particularly good enough. For any side in the league, really.

- Hope we don’t wear the Saudi kit again. Cursed, that thing.

- feel like pure shit just want bruno back

- The owners are sticking to their original plan which is completely fine as we are ahead of schedule, but I can’t help but feel January was an opportunity missed. A couple attacking players and a midfielder may well have guaranteed us top 4. Especially with Chelsea, Liverpool and to an extent Tottenham being awful this season; they almost certainly won’t be as terrible next season as they have been this.

- I also think even just these past 3 games have been huge opportunities missed themselves. Winning just 2 of those games (v 19th and 15th) would have us joint 2nd.

- In a selfish toys oot the pram way, I’m sick of us drawing games tbh. :lol: It’s a total far cry from being hammered under Stephen Roger, but it’s just getting a bit, for want of a much better word, boring. Wallahi just WIN A GAME OF ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL PLS :lol:

- We're 4th in February, are 8 points off last season's entire total and have made huge strides in a short space of time. It's also a great time to be a Newcastle United supporter, where we're unhappy with not winning away PL games. Enjoy it, stop the misery. Myself also included.

- Forgot how reactionary this place can be, like. :lol: Proper throwback to the Benitez days where the level of fume and naff takes would be beyond the pale. Holding off making the pre Liverpool thread as the misery in there would be :anguish: 

11 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Held giving immediate post match thoughts off for a bit as I can be guilty of being ABSEWLEWTLY FEWMIN after crap results, but here goes. IMO, we were shit today and got a naff result against a poor side that will most likely be relegated this season. But…

- We were due this I think. Our squad is thin on strength in depth, we all knew this at the start of the season hence the predictions of us mostly finishing 10th-6th in the summer. As soon as injuries and fatigue (given the number of games we’ve played in the last month) set in we’d have to resort to giving the likes of Murphy, Anderson et al minutes in the PL which will cost us as they’re not good enough. We knew this.

- We’re still doing unbelievably well. Club record unbeaten run? In the top 4 in February? In a cup final? Scandalous. That’s a credit to Howe and these players.

- Today was still really poor. There was a disconnect between the back 4 and midfield in our build up and our passing has been way off for a while now. Parts of Southampton (a) in the cup, Palace (a) and West Ham (h) were noticeably poor. Even with Almiron’s goal, I thought everyone bar Pope and Joelinton were poor tonight.

- Burn was especially poor and probably needs a rest, though we can’t afford that as the alternatives are Lewis and Dummett. He’s okay when we’re more defensive or sat off teams but when we have the onus on us to break sides down he’s not a great full back. Offers nowt going forward and had a poor game all round tonight.

- Our attacking play needs a rethink. 3 goals in 6 PL games? Not particularly good enough. For any side in the league, really.

- Hope we don’t wear the Saudi kit again. Cursed, that thing.

- feel like pure shit just want bruno back

- The owners are sticking to their original plan which is completely fine as we are ahead of schedule, but I can’t help but feel January was an opportunity missed. A couple attacking players and a midfielder may well have guaranteed us top 4. Especially with Chelsea, Liverpool and to an extent Tottenham being awful this season; they almost certainly won’t be as terrible next season as they have been this.

- I also think even just these past 3 games have been huge opportunities missed themselves. Winning just 2 of those games (v 19th and 15th) would have us joint 2nd.

- In a selfish toys oot the pram way, I’m sick of us drawing games tbh. :lol: It’s a total far cry from being hammered under Stephen Roger, but it’s just getting a bit, for want of a much better word, boring. Wallahi just WIN A GAME OF ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL PLS :lol:

- We're 4th in February, are 8 points off last season's entire total and have made huge strides in a short space of time. It's also a great time to be a Newcastle United supporter, where we're unhappy with not winning away PL games. Enjoy it, stop the misery. Myself also included.

- Forgot how reactionary this place can be, like. :lol: Proper throwback to the Benitez days where the level of fume and naff takes would be beyond the pale. Holding off making the pre Liverpool thread as the misery in there would be :anguish: 

Fantastic post.

I think Liverpool, Man U and Man City (LOOOOLLLLL) as the next three might work in our favour. We might get the chance to play on the break and use some of our willing runners in space for a change. 

We have a lot of athletes. Just not a lot of technical ability in the final third when teams are sat deep.