Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

A lot of the old classics started to die off in the Ashley era, as the fact cunt slowly choked the life out of the club.

One song that emerged in that era that made be genuinely angry was the "Don't sell Cabaye" one. A perfect measure of how small time Ashley had now made NUFC, in that fans were now singing a begging song to keep hold of an above-average midfielder.

7 minutes ago, Big River said:

don't forget the best one of the lot...

SHOES OFF IF YOU LOVE THE TOON

‘Everywhere we go... ‘

I remember one game, think it was a night cup game, there was literally ‘conga if you love the toon’ and there was quite a line of us going down the stairs and along the concourse with the stewards trying to intervene... think that sums up the vibe we had up there.

53 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Serious (ish) question. Would people feel comfortable about singing Fulwell End these days?

You mean the bit where it goes, "full of shit, full of puffs, full of wankers?

Tbf I can see where you're coming from there. Don't think it would go down at all well these days.

I remember the variant of that more, associated with Derby County away in 92, so that era

"The fulwell end, is always full, the Fulwell end is always full.." then an abrupt ending "Is it fuck!"

Could be redeployed.

I think the atmosphere is as good now as it was 25 or so years ago. Before the extension it kept the noise in better but don’t think it’s dropped much. We get reminded of the old games seeing clips on tv regularly but they’re only the big games. Playing Fulham, Derby or someone like that at home was as quiet as it is now. Think people will be moaning however it is and wanting a drum or just constant noise isn’t what an English atmosphere is for me. Crowds react to the game here rather than being organised and putting on some kind of performance. The flags have been magnificent and added something that wasn’t there but that’s before the game. Organising things to be during just seems weird to me.

45 minutes ago, Jonas said:

I remember the variant of that more, associated with Derby County away in 92, so that era

"The fulwell end, is always full, the Fulwell end is always full.." then an abrupt ending "Is it fuck!"

Could be redeployed.

I enjoy The Fulwell end is never full unless they're playing against newcastle version

As for original just substitute cunts in

Sorted

2 hours ago, NUFC91 said:

Sorry mate i meant leazes corner nlt level 7. I think here would involve level 7, bounce of away fans etc. I currently sit here and think it could be fastest solution as more general sale tickets here.

IMG_2437.JPG.jpg

Whats peoples thought on safe standing there?

22 minutes ago, Bellis80 said:

I think the atmosphere is as good now as it was 25 or so years ago. Before the extension it kept the noise in better but don’t think it’s dropped much. We get reminded of the old games seeing clips on tv regularly but they’re only the big games. Playing Fulham, Derby or someone like that at home was as quiet as it is now. Think people will be moaning however it is and wanting a drum or just constant noise isn’t what an English atmosphere is for me. Crowds react to the game here rather than being organised and putting on some kind of performance. The flags have been magnificent and added something that wasn’t there but that’s before the game. Organising things to be during just seems weird to me.

I disagree I'm afraid. 25 years ago we had a varied songbook that got aired at most games. Now we've got 3 songs in total, and they are all shit.

The atmosphere would go quiet in games back then too, but not in the way it does now. We are literally kicking off games this season and you hear a pin drop right from the referee's whistle. It's painful to witness.

7 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Makes sense to me. 

Gallowgate will still create some noise due to acoustics/Corner etc. 

A corner at the opposite end would be great, close to away fans, brings the Leazes in to it more as well. My dad always says the Leazes was the original end!

’Tottenham’s always running, Chelsea, Arsenal too! The Leazes end is coming, we’re coming after you! United, United, United!’

2 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I disagree I'm afraid. 25 years ago we had a varied songbook that got aired at most games. Now we've got 3 songs in total, and they are all shit.

The atmosphere would go quiet in games back then too, but not in the way it does now. We are literally kicking off games this season and you hear a pin drop right from the referee's whistle. It's painful to witness.

I think the atmosphere in the home game against Man Utd last December then City in August were two of the best I have ever experienced. Villa was really good this season too. Not sure where this idea it’s crap now is coming from. 

2 hours ago, LFEE said:

Serious (ish) question. Would people feel comfortable about singing Fulwell End these days?

Got sang at a game recently (Southampton away leg perhap

s) and I got as far as that word before stopping abruptly thinking "shit, did I used to sing that??"

Sign of the times I suppose

1 minute ago, Hovagod said:

I think the atmosphere in the home game against Man Utd last December then City in August were two of the best I have ever experienced. Villa was really good this season too. Not sure where this idea it’s crap now is coming from. 

Last season was definitely better than this one. As was pointed out earlier in this thread, we seem to make more noise when under adversity. This season, in a comfortable position, it's completely lost its edge. The Man City game was right at the beginning of the season when nobody would have expected to make a consistent push for the top 4.

12 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Right there and level 7 corner above would probably be about 5.5k seats ? Right next to away fans NP would object to fuck, but I fucking love it and would get some real back and forth with away fans going. That’s what’s missing from SJP there’s just no banter with away fans anymore.

1 minute ago, Whitley mag said:

Right there and level 7 corner above would probably be about 5.5k seats ? Right next to away fans NP would object to fuck, but I fucking love it and would get some real back and forth with away fans going. That’s what’s missing from SJP there’s just no banter with away fans anymore.

I wish we still just gave away fans the small Leazes/East Stand corner. It was the perfect spot for a singing match between both sets of fans.

4 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

It's partly a reaction to Sunday (which is a little knee jerk in my own opinion) but it's also a fair point that the atmosphere at SJP is very hit and miss unless we're in the shit.

Fwiw it's never going back to what it was when the terraces were up, habits are longstanding now and the demographic is different as well. But safe standing "singing/shouting/jumping about like a daft cunt" areas would be a good start. I'd personally start with small "trial" areas behind each goal then look to expand once others see how much more fun it looks. Go too big too early and you're still going to get too many who are there to experience rather than create the atmosphere which will defeat the purpose. 

I don't mean to sound grumpy or dishearten anyone but I remember articles in the mag about this as far ago as Keegan first spell. There is, and has been for a long time, a lot of our support who won't go out of its way to make noise unless the situation demands it. And tbh it's the same across the country.

Best of luck to anyone that tries to take it on and they'll have my (full throated) support. 

13 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

This is a great point and IMO has more to do with the redeveloped SJP not being as noisy than anything to do with the structure and acoustics

10 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Last season was definitely better than this one. As was pointed out earlier in this thread, we seem to make more noise when under adversity. This season, in a comfortable position, it's completely lost its edge. The Man City game was right at the beginning of the season when nobody would have expected to make a consistent push for the top 4.

That’s what a football crowd is though. Seen Forest and Leeds mentioned as good atmospheres in here but they’ve just come back up recently and in the shit like we were last season. It’s never been bouncing every week.

Would agree about the songs but look at those listed previously on the thread, some will always be there and are heard at times but maybe we just need to accept we’re old cunts and someone isn’t going to be singing about Terry Hibbitt these days. Saying the atmosphere is shit then also saying the songs people are singing aren’t the right ones isn’t going to help.

7 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Man united was decent, man city was excellent. Thought villa was poor (I'm in the leazes and all I could hear was villa second half, even when 4-0 up).

I've only been going regularly since 2008 and I think we're definitely at a point now where something needs to be done. It wasn't great to start with, buts it's deteriorated a fair bit since then.

1 minute ago, Bellis80 said:

That’s what a football crowd is though. Seen Forest and Leeds mentioned as good atmospheres in here but they’ve just come back up recently and in the shit like we were last season. It’s never been bouncing every week.

Would agree about the songs but look at those listed previously on the thread, some will always be there and are heard at times but maybe we just need to accept we’re old cunts and someone isn’t going to be singing about Terry Hibbitt these days. Saying the atmosphere is shit then also saying the songs people are singing aren’t the right ones isn’t going to help.

Nah, again I disagree. If you look at Man Utd, and even Liverpool these days, what their fans do to keep an atmosphere going is get their songbook going. It's the perfect way to keep an atmosphere bubbling along, even if a game is poor, and it kills me to admit it but Man U do it really well. Even Liverpool have been pretty good when I watch them at Anfield, as they get the "Allez, Allez" song, or the "Jurgen said to me...." one going around the stadium to give it a lift.

Because we have almost completely lost our old classic songbook, then when a game goes flat, the place just goes silent.

There's two ways to make an atmosphere. One is getting raucous in reaction to match events, and the other is having a sing-song when the match goes flat. We have lost the ability to do the latter.