Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

6 minutes ago, SteV said:

Again, that’s perfectly true, but you know a large percentage wouldn’t see it like that.

I do but that's hard lines. Offer them a seat move to an area of their choice. Ultimately the atmosphere and the support and encouragement for the team is more important than any individual though.

4 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

They don't have a choice. It isn't their seat.

Exactly if they don't like it whats the choice, they don't go anymore and someone else takes their ticket.

I've been season ticker holder 20 years. I've sat front row of Leazes in east stand corner, Level 7, strawberry corner and now leazes west corner, mainly moved as was student for cheaper seat and up to level 7 when everyone stood but ultimately i'd happily move for good of support and team, sadly a lot won't.

6 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

We were at Chelsea v Crystal Palace on Wednesday. We were sat at the back of the West Stand, just slightly off the halfway line. Surrounded mainly by Chinese tourists tbh but one thing that stood out a mile from the off is how much better the acoustics are at Stamford Bridge compared to SJP. 

If the fans to our right in the Shed End started singing, the fans to our left in the Matthew Harding stand could almost immediately pick up on it and join in so within a few seconds you had both ends singing the same songs at the same time. Really made a difference. Also it was noticeable that even fairly small groups of fans singing was still pretty audible compared to when that happens at SJP.

They have around 12,000 safe standing places there, so over 25% of the capacity, and it does make a massive difference but one thing that definitely stood out is that if the stadium design is right a relatively low amount of fans can make a decent noise that can be heard throughout the stadium.

Larger safe standing areas definitely need to be a priority at SJP. Need 10k as a minimum.

Aye makes a big difference. Was at their place other week for cup game and when watched back away end sounds like home team, be different at our place. It's similar to Palace, sounds lound when 800 lads sing and bang a drum.

On 28/12/2023 at 09:07, Whitley mag said:

Few more defeats and tickets will become much easier to get for remainder of season.

I live in hope ,just one game that's all I ask😂😂😂It's not just the game ,it's the few pints before ,the atmosphere in the pubs ,and the  banter .

On 30/12/2023 at 09:15, NUFC91 said:

Aye makes a big difference. Was at their place other week for cup game and when watched back away end sounds like home team, be different at our place. It's similar to Palace, sounds lound when 800 lads sing and bang a drum.

I’d ban anyone who brings a drum mind.  Hate that shite :) 

By all accounts the atmosphere at Liverpool was horrendous on NYD. Despite the big numbers going on Saturday, got a horrible feeling it’ll be one of our most embarrassing shows of support at this fixture ever.

4 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

By all accounts the atmosphere at Liverpool was horrendous on NYD. Despite the big numbers going on Saturday, got a horrible feeling it’ll be one of our most embarrassing shows of support at this fixture ever.

I very much doubt the mackems will be having 34 shots with us barely being able to get out of our half.

Now that they've opened up the Anfield Road end the noise just gets lost in that away end. Any time a chant was started it just fizzled out by the time it worked its way around.

2 hours ago, Tross said:

Now that they've opened up the Anfield Road end the noise just gets lost in that away end. Any time a chant was started it just fizzled out by the time it worked its way around.

Were you there on Monday?

Edited by Wandy

Aye, the away end was horrendous at Anfield and has been several times this season - I said this would happen as soon as they introduced the new away ticketing policy

I’ve not been as much this season but everyone seems to think the two good atmospheres were Old Trafford and Chelsea. Both of which we were winning for most of the game. Probably also had people prioritising CL games and missing league games. Don’t agree with most of the ticketing changes but don’t think it’s changed a huge amount.

5 hours ago, Tross said:

That's just an excuse really. If you caught any of their Europa League games at Anfield this season the away support has sounded very loud on TV. Couldn't hear our lot on the telly and speaking to a lad yesterday who was down there he said it was worse than shite. Just small pockets of fans trying to get things going but it just never took off. Not expecting much on Saturday either tbh.

27 minutes ago, Bellis80 said:

I’ve not been as much this season but everyone seems to think the two good atmospheres were Old Trafford and Chelsea. Both of which we were winning for most of the game. Probably also had people prioritising CL games and missing league games. Don’t agree with most of the ticketing changes but don’t think it’s changed a huge amount.

It has mate - the difference this season to last in away ends is staggering 

It's unsurprising there's been a massive change in atmosphere like - I went to 5+ aways a season during the Ashley years and not once did I buy the ticket myself.  Neither did anyone who I went with. 

There must have been a lot of the more vocal sections of the away support pushed out now, with no way back in.

5 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised if Saturday's effort is pitiful, considering the numbers going.

My only hope is that our 2 best away atmospheres this season have been Man Utd (7,000 away fans) and Chelsea (4,300 away fans) so perhaps another big allocation can help. However the lack of drinking time and people sat on buses for long is bound to dampen the mood.

Pretty tragic that we're even having this discussion prior to this match, but that's where we're at unfortunately.

People don't like to admit but issues are travel groups are being replaced by day trippers.

A lot of these fans coming this season more arsed about the picture to post on social media. 

Was speaking to a lad I know from Darlo at Spurs away, they used to have a bus to every away game, i.d checks means only about 12 go regular now and they all were loud and loved a day out. This is happening with travel groups all over the north east and country.

46 minutes ago, Paully said:

It has mate - the difference this season to last in away ends is staggering 

Fair enough. Know you go every week. Last season was good because we were flying but were already starting to see people who it had seemed like had never been to a game.

17 minutes ago, Bellis80 said:

Fair enough. Know you go every week. Last season was good because we were flying but were already starting to see people who it had seemed like had never been to a game.

Even when we were shite the atmosphere was nearly always good away from home. I've been in umpteen away ends over the years where we've been 4 or 5 goals down and still outsung the home fans comfortably.

There was talk a while back that around 1 in 3 of our regular away travellers went on someone else's ticket, usually sourced through supporters buses. Certainly my experience of aways I would say that's a fairly accurate figure., even maybe a bit Conservative. If that's the case that's 1,000 fans out of the typical 3,000 away end who can no longer go. These were generally lads in their late teens, 20s and 30s. The demographic that typically make the most noise.

They've been replaced in the away ends by season ticket holders, mostly whom weren't all that arsed about away games previously, but the main problem is that these season ticket holders who typically sit there in silence at home games are now going away and going the same in away ends.

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised if Saturday's effort is pitiful, considering the numbers going.

Hopefully it's like man utd away and not like Wembley. People getting telt to sit down and that.

Fucking YouTubers and season ticket holders who sat at Wembley like mutes are the main reason the away has turned to shit, so what if we we’re under the cosh at Liverpool when’s that ever been an excuse not to sing away from home on an 8pm kick off.