Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

38 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Part of the issue is cost.  If you’re charging prices on a par with a decent west end production, then your ‘customers’ demand entertainment - they don’t make their own fun.  The clubs willing took middle class money and betrayed the working class fan bases decades ago now.  It’s why I get hacked off when I hear Klopp whining about atmosphere, or when Keane went on about ‘prawn sandwiches’.  As if they can’t quite equate their exorbitant salaries requiring ticket prices which price out those more likely to create atmospheres.  Football took the recommendations of Taylor Report to squeeze more money and change its supporter base.  Atmospheres which are flatter than a witch’s tit are a consequence 

Nufc ticket prices for ST holders etc is quite cheap tbh.

2 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Nufc ticket prices for ST holders etc is quite cheap tbh.

They’re expensive vs average income; far more expensive than they were pre-1992, which is what I was driving at.  The average age of a PL crowd is now mid-40s.  No chance it was that pre-1992. 

They not cheap - they’re not as expensive as some other PL clubs. 

9 hours ago, Heron said:

I'm a bit bored of the whole day-trippers and tourists causing a bad atmosphere excuse. It's been shite for ages unless we're winning. The same as any other football stadium in the UK.

There's seemingly a feeling of embarrassment or it being socially unacceptable to do so it seems to me. Football is now an entertainment business not a sport. Get your popcorn and hot dog and clap when you score. That's it.

Absolutely right. I recall these discussion from the late 90s and was very self-conscious (from a club/game perspective) and pissed off at the time about it. Its not a new (post takeover) thing so we need to eliminate that as causal in search of solutions.

Klopp's been on about it this week and if there were two places that weren't bad until the Millennium it was Liverpool and Newcastle.

We've all been watered down by the increase in attendances (and ticket prices) and relative success (top league/players) which we all take the benefit of I suppose. It wasn't always great before by any means but just not dead or afraid to chant or make noise.

Edited by Jonas

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They’re expensive vs average income; far more expensive than they were pre-1992, which is what I was driving at.  The average age of a PL crowd is now mid-40s.  No chance it was that pre-1992. 

They not cheap - they’re not as expensive as some other PL clubs. 

My season ticket as a Juventile for 92/93 (bought in 91/92 probably) was £118.80. Two years later in the same seat and still juvenile was 229.50. A 100% mark up in 2years. Think in the midst of a recession too, that sort of pace has got to be societally changing when newer fans everywhere had every opportunity to go to games cost wise and spacially but rarely did.

Edited by Jonas

9 hours ago, Danh1 said:

The Forest fans were loud as fuck today, was at the front of the Milburn near where the Amazon studio was.

Made me think how loud the 3k in level 7 when the singing section was there must’ve been. Would be good to get a standing section up there again imo.

It’s been a while since I’ve been to St James’ Park but the location of the away fans has always been a pet hate of mine. I do wonder if it contributes to the problem a little.

If you’re doing well then the atmosphere is better than most because there are Newcastle fans all around the ground at pitch level. If you’re doing poorly then obviously the away fans are more vociferous, but if they’re hidden in an upper corner then maybe it’s harder to react to them/bounce off them?

2 hours ago, leffe186 said:

It’s been a while since I’ve been to St James’ Park but the location of the away fans has always been a pet hate of mine. I do wonder if it contributes to the problem a little.

If you’re doing well then the atmosphere is better than most because there are Newcastle fans all around the ground at pitch level. If you’re doing poorly then obviously the away fans are more vociferous, but if they’re hidden in an upper corner then maybe it’s harder to react to them/bounce off them?

Atmosphere better at WHL or new stadium in your opinion ?

The group of lads in front of me leave for pints on 35-40min and return on about 50min. There’s huge gaps well before half time, and it’s not the ‘day trippers’. 

Tbh, beyond the big games or when something exceptional is happening on the pitch, I don’t think it’s ever been as good as some seem to think it was. The whole top tier is family, the East Stand has never been loud and the design of the stadium hardly helps the atmosphere in the Leazes. 

7 hours ago, Jonas said:

My season ticket as a Juventile for 92/93 (bought in 91/92 probably) was £118.80. Two years later in the same seat and still juvenile was 229.50. A 100% mark up in 2years. Think in the midst of a recession too, that sort of pace has got to be societally changing when newer fans everywhere had every opportunity to go to games cost wise and spacially but rarely did.

My season ticket in the family enclosure in 91/92 was £45 (23 games). My dad's was £90!

Pricing plays a massive part as you are effectively stopping a huge part, and probably the most vocal, of your fanbase from attending if the tickets are too high.

East stand for me, first time this season, and it was what its always like, a bit of noise, a bit of moaning etc.

Still 100% better than the level 7 corner and the kids with phones out all game though

As mentioned previously, the overall atmosphere has been dying for a while, and it's not just a NUFC issue, ticket prices, all seaters, like minded fans separated ,KO times all over the place, social media whoppers, it's all had an impact

3 minutes ago, patrone said:

East stand for me, first time this season, and it was what its always like, a bit of noise, a bit of moaning etc.

Still 100% better than the level 7 corner and the kids with phones out all game though

As mentioned previously, the overall atmosphere has been dying for a while, and it's not just a NUFC issue, ticket prices, all seaters, like minded fans separated ,KO times all over the place, social media whoppers, it's all had an impact

biggest issue i think.

could have a stadium full of tourists but a safe standing section in each corner for singing would still create a decent atmosphere

5 hours ago, huss9 said:

biggest issue i think.

could have a stadium full of tourists but a safe standing section in each corner for singing would still create a decent atmosphere

Spot on, i don't know why so many fans can't see it. If we had 4k standing in Leazes and gallowgate of like minded fans it would make all differnce.

Be like splitting up ultra end at san siro and 7k are placed all over ground in groups of 5.

It's always about getting fans together and creating an 'end'...

Ok here's my Tuppence worth ,followed them when we were sh**te going back to mckeag years etc ,all through the Bruce era ,not a season ticket holder but a member ,can't win any ballots now but remember last time I managed to get in Milburn ,I was only one trying to sing and getting funny looks ,even stood up turned around and said howay man raise your voices ,all to no avail .we have the strawberry corner stalwarts ,the upper tier of leazes and the younguns in north west area of leazes ,so those who want to sing are well spread out ,not sure how you get everyone together but since all the new supporters have come on board atmosphere definitely gone downhill,and don't get me wrong ,if we are to become a global brand we have to accept new followers so I'm not critisising ,but just believe most of them don't realise the etiquette of attending and how best to behave ,once they have experienced a few games perhaps they will come on board ,in the meantime I live in hope of winning a ballot ,my cousin in Cambridge has won 3 this year and I've tried all categories and never got one yet ,think once you win one you should go back of queue ,will I ever see my team again 😢HWTL 

2 hours ago, KILLYMAG said:

Ok here's my Tuppence worth ,followed them when we were sh**te going back to mckeag years etc ,all through the Bruce era ,not a season ticket holder but a member ,can't win any ballots now but remember last time I managed to get in Milburn ,I was only one trying to sing and getting funny looks ,even stood up turned around and said howay man raise your voices ,all to no avail .we have the strawberry corner stalwarts ,the upper tier of leazes and the younguns in north west area of leazes ,so those who want to sing are well spread out ,not sure how you get everyone together but since all the new supporters have come on board atmosphere definitely gone downhill,and don't get me wrong ,if we are to become a global brand we have to accept new followers so I'm not critisising ,but just believe most of them don't realise the etiquette of attending and how best to behave ,once they have experienced a few games perhaps they will come on board ,in the meantime I live in hope of winning a ballot ,my cousin in Cambridge has won 3 this year and I've tried all categories and never got one yet ,think once you win one you should go back of queue ,will I ever see my team again 😢HWTL 

Few more defeats and tickets will become much easier to get for remainder of season.

3 hours ago, KILLYMAG said:

Those Strawberry Corner stalwarts disappeared fairly sharpish on boxing day.

Just look at Milan game, the thousand returned seat were occupied by fans standing amd creating an atmosphere and level 7 was 10 times louder.

I would'nt bother with gallowgate as too many old stubborn fans. I'd concentrate on Leazes now

7 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Just look at Milan game, the thousand returned seat were occupied by fans standing amd creating an atmosphere and level 7 was 10 times louder.

I would'nt bother with gallowgate as too many old stubborn fans. I'd concentrate on Leazes now

Agreed. Gallowgate atmosphere is a total myth. Strawberry Corner makes it seem better than it actually is. 

Leazes was always the original ‘end’ for Newcastle anyway. Imagine the top of Level 4 corner in the Leazes stretching up to Level 7? Now that would be class.

On 28/12/2023 at 05:24, NUFC91 said:

Spot on, i don't know why so many fans can't see it. If we had 4k standing in Leazes and gallowgate of like minded fans it would make all differnce.

Be like splitting up ultra end at san siro and 7k are placed all over ground in groups of 5.

It's always about getting fans together and creating an 'end'...

It wouldn’t be a terrace - safe seating still has seat numbers.

The actions which followed the Taylor Report knackered all of it - safe standing will improve it, a singing section will improve it - but not by much.    The truth is that even when it was good decades ago, it was actually not great most of the time.  Crowds have always been louder for some matches than others.  Forest at home for a lunchtime kickoff isn’t going to sound all that different no matter what is done. 

We were at Chelsea v Crystal Palace on Wednesday. We were sat at the back of the West Stand, just slightly off the halfway line. Surrounded mainly by Chinese tourists tbh but one thing that stood out a mile from the off is how much better the acoustics are at Stamford Bridge compared to SJP. 

If the fans to our right in the Shed End started singing, the fans to our left in the Matthew Harding stand could almost immediately pick up on it and join in so within a few seconds you had both ends singing the same songs at the same time. Really made a difference. Also it was noticeable that even fairly small groups of fans singing was still pretty audible compared to when that happens at SJP.

They have around 12,000 safe standing places there, so over 25% of the capacity, and it does make a massive difference but one thing that definitely stood out is that if the stadium design is right a relatively low amount of fans can make a decent noise that can be heard throughout the stadium.

Larger safe standing areas definitely need to be a priority at SJP. Need 10k as a minimum.

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

We were at Chelsea v Crystal Palace on Wednesday. We were sat at the back of the West Stand, just slightly off the halfway line. Surrounded mainly by Chinese tourists tbh but one thing that stood out a mile from the off is how much better the acoustics are at Stamford Bridge compared to SJP. 

If the fans to our right in the Shed End started singing, the fans to our left in the Matthew Harding stand could almost immediately pick up on it and join in so within a few seconds you had both ends singing the same songs at the same time. Really made a difference. Also it was noticeable that even fairly small groups of fans singing was still pretty audible compared to when that happens at SJP.

They have around 12,000 safe standing places there, so over 25% of the capacity, and it does make a massive difference but one thing that definitely stood out is that if the stadium design is right a relatively low amount of fans can make a decent noise that can be heard throughout the stadium.

Larger safe standing areas definitely need to be a priority at SJP. Need 10k as a minimum.

I think everybody would agree with that. Until they get asked to move…

26 minutes ago, SteV said:

I think everybody would agree with that. Until they get asked to move…

Ultimately I don't think it's a case of asking people to move. They rent a seat on a seasonal basis. If they are required to shift next season, then they have to shift.

Make the entire Gallowgate safe standing and maybe extend the L7 safe standing all the way round into the old L7 singing corner and see how that goes.

6 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Ultimately I don't think it's a case of asking people to move. They rent a seat on a seasonal basis. If they are required to shift next season, then they have to shift.

Make the entire Gallowgate safe standing and maybe extend the L7 safe standing all the way round into the old L7 singing corner and see how that goes.

Again, that’s perfectly true, but you know a large percentage wouldn’t see it like that.