2023 FIFA Women's World Cup: Rubiales banned from all football-related activities for three years

7 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

i wasn't, but hey whatever you draw from it.

Well apart from the sexist jokes and saying when will our luck turn when they literally won a trophy last year, I'm not sure what I was supposed to draw from it

10 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Bimpy my good man. My brother. My online counterpart. It may be best at the point to just let sleeping dogs lie, know when you’re in way above your head and move on. 

My good friend, I used to help coach in a daft little football academy when my eldest boy was very young, for the team he played for. I played for the mens, and then managed the mens, played for the Vets and managed them. You could start at the academy all the way to vets.

We had two girls stay with us up to under 11's, then girls were no longer allowed to play with the boys, but we lost those girls to other clubs as we didn't have girls teams for them to move into. So i and a determined group of parents got girls teams off the ground, they did far more than me but i helped a little.

I no longer coach because of the knees, i do go and watch on Saturday for mens, and Sundays for the kids (different teams now). The academy was still going strong until a few years ago, when i was there we had roughly 15 boys and 3 or 4 girls. Now another academy i know has almost 50/50, that's due to the success of the women's game, clearly.

But decisions made by the club to sell off part of the ground so it could be sold for housing and that cricket brought in more money. That killed all the football, that partly helped my decision to quit football completely. Believe it or not, watching the girls again go off the other clubs, alongside all the mens teams was heartbreaking. It hurts actually, all the years efforts for nowt.

A joke was a joke which seems to have gone well :laugh:

10 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Well apart from the sexist jokes and saying when will our luck turn when they literally won a trophy last year, I'm not sure what I was supposed to draw from it

OK, well you've drawn your conclusion and i respect that, albeit i disagree with it.

16 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

What’s your lass cooking up for tea tonight?

Feck all mate, Mrs B is off to work this evening. I'll cook for myself and the boys, depending on when they want to eat. They don't tend be around Sunday's, off out and about and they may eat out.

9 minutes ago, Jimburst said:

I'd cut out the shite patter if I didn't want to sound like an utter prick, even if I had a story where I was mildly associated to a mixed football team.

It's a forum isn't, it's where we discuss and sometime maybe to one detriment overshare. You don't have to read it, or just whack on the ignore, pretty simple. My point on the post was i rather involved in girls football in my part of the world, but fair enough.

Edited by Bimpy474

6 minutes ago, Deuce said:

If I know Mrs. Bimpy, she’s about to march in here and snatch her man by the ear.

She's marvellous, and as i keep telling ours boys she's the glue that holds us all together, she puts up with three smelly louts.  And i've only ever see her wrath once or twice would you believe, and i know I'm not messing with that.

Edited by Bimpy474

15 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

My good friend, I used to help coach in a daft little football academy when my eldest boy was very young, for the team he played for. I played for the mens, and then managed the mens, played for the Vets and managed them. You could start at the academy all the way to vets.

We had two girls stay with us up to under 11's, then girls were no longer allowed to play with the boys, but we lost those girls to other clubs as we didn't have girls teams for them to move into. So i and a determined group of parents got girls teams off the ground, they did far more than me but i helped a little.

I no longer coach because of the knees, i do go and watch on Saturday for mens, and Sundays for the kids (different teams now). The academy was still going strong until a few years ago, when i was there we had roughly 15 boys and 3 or 4 girls. Now another academy i know has almost 50/50, that's due to the success of the women's game, clearly.

But decisions made by the club to sell off part of the ground so it could be sold for housing and that cricket brought in more money. That killed all the football, that partly helped my decision to quit football completely. Believe it or not, watching the girls again go off the other clubs, alongside all the mens teams was heartbreaking. It hurts actually, all the years efforts for nowt.

A joke was a joke which seems to have gone well :laugh:

Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

Any comparisons to the mens equivalent is daft.  Serena Williams would have struggled to win a match against any top 500 men from her time playing at her peak. That doesn't mean she wasn't an incredible tennis player

Elite sportsmen are naturally going to be stronger and faster than elite sportswomen. Comparisons just serve to diminish women.

I think some men just enjoy doing it just to reinforce their masculinity

Edited by joeyt

58 minutes ago, joeyt said:

That's definitely true. Tennis is a funny one, women's is more entertaining imo. As much a big serves win games, it doesn't offer much to the viewer. I know there's not much that can be done, but watching two big servers blasting away, is just boring at times.

Edited by Bimpy474

Absolutely gutted with the way that went.

I'm fully on the sarina bandwagon, bit I think she played her cards too soon.

Taking Russo and Daly off half time was weird, as bringing James on not in the number 10 role didn't really add anything. 

I would have given it 10 mins then brought her on for Toone.

Quite a lot of the team will be at the end of their careers in 4 years time, so it will be interesting to see if we start to bring the youngsters in now or if Sarina uses the same squad to get through the next Euros. 

47 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

Feck all mate, Mrs B is off to work this evening. I'll cook for myself and the boys, depending on when they want to eat. They don't tend be around Sunday's, off out and about and they may eat out.

My lass is on nightshift so I’m having Rustlers minute burger, a can of red bull and a big share bag of cheesy puffs. 

20 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

My lass is on nightshift so I’m having Rustlers minute burger, a can of red bull and a big share bag of cheesy puffs. 

Feckin hell, you lazy sod :laugh:

Both boys are in, one's had maccies out. The other isn't hungry, so i'll knock up something after the game.

3 hours ago, Bimpy474 said:

True, but unfortunately that was inevitable as mens football has dominated sport in this country for so long. As women's football grows it'll get seen as its own entity without the comparisons, it's just how quickly it gets there imo.

You do realise that the ONLY reason why the men's game has dominated for so long was because the FA BANNED women from playing for 50 years, setting back 3 generations. 

By the time women were allowed back, we'd lost the momentum and we had to start from scratch.

The reason why it was banned? It was drawing too bigger crowds and, I quote "the game of football is quite unsuitable for females and ought not to be encouraged.”

I fucking love the men's game, I also happen to love the women's game and fully support it's resurgence and professionalism across the board. But it's not a threat. 

And just a side note, even tongue in cheek comments like 'at least the washing up will get down now' isn't funny. It's just as bad as any stupid 'monkey' or 'poof' jokes in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, joeyt said:

Any comparisons to the mens equivalent is daft.  Serena Williams would have struggled to win a match against any top 500 men from her time playing at her peak. That doesn't mean she wasn't an incredible tennis player

Elite sportsmen are naturally going to be stronger and faster than elite sportswomen. Comparisons just serve to diminish women.

It's weird when you think about it. Since childhood, I've always enjoyed both Mens' and Womens' events at the Olympics, more or less equally. The fact that the Women's 100m is always going to be run a few seconds slower than the Men's didn't make it seem any less interesting.

But for the longest time, I wasn't applying that same standard in any context other than the Olympics. Womens' events always seemed trivial relative to the Mens'. In retrospect, perhaps it was because I had just been conditioned to feel that way because of how our society treats Womens' sport in general (with the Olympics being the one exception.)

Obviously the pinnacle of football is always going to be the mens' Premier League and the mens' World Cup. But that doesn't mean that the womens' counterparts can't be enjoyable and a good product in their own right, especially now that more money is starting to flow into those events. The fact that they maybe kick the ball a bit less well than the men doesn't matter at the end of the day. They still kick it plenty well enough for the matches to be entertaining for a lot of people.

Edited by oldtype

1 hour ago, Lish007 said:

You do realise that the ONLY reason why the men's game has dominated for so long was because the FA BANNED women from playing for 50 years, setting back 3 generations. 

By the time women were allowed back, we'd lost the momentum and we had to start from scratch.

The reason why it was banned? It was drawing too bigger crowds and, I quote "the game of football is quite unsuitable for females and ought not to be encouraged.”

I fucking love the men's game, I also happen to love the women's game and fully support it's resurgence and professionalism across the board. But it's not a threat. 

And just a side note, even tongue in cheek comments like 'at least the washing up will get down now' isn't funny. It's just as bad as any stupid 'monkey' or 'poof' jokes in my opinion. 

No point looking back though is there ? As bad as that was.  If we look at how the women's game has grown over the last 10 years, in particular the last 3 or 4, if that growth continues then hopefully it grows to where you want it to be.

A major issue is grassroots, there's still not enough being done. Unfortunately most grassroots is still dominated by men, and older men at that.  Its changing but again not quick enough, there has to be more women elected to local clubs committees.

You have to change it at its core, at the grassroots for things to change, especially so there's more teams for to girls access. At moment girls teams here have to travel so far, as most men's team don't take it seriously as to create and even think of creating girl's or women's teams.

My joke did not go down well, but please, its not comparible to racism or intolerance. that's a tad too far imo, but you're entitled to that opinion, but I disagree.

Edited by Bimpy474