NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Guest reefatoon
Just now, Pablo123 said:

Anyone think we'll offload Bruno and sign this Ederson, or will it be the case of pushing through what would have potentially been a summer signing?

We won’t be selling Bruno this month, no chance. With him, we only have three fit midfielders as it is!

Just now, reefatoon said:

We won’t be selling Bruno this month, no chance. With him, we only have three fit midfielders as it is!

I agree. I was thinking more in the summer. We'd be commiting hari kari if we were to sell this window.

1 minute ago, RS said:

Let Me get this straight; Teams that keep the ball better and have better squad rotation capabilities, like Liverpool and Man City are generally the better teams?

Groundbreaking stuff this. 

No actually... I think Klopp's traditional style can lead to increased (mental and physical) fatigue and fitness issues. Same with Bielsa - both managers' teams have been suggested to suffer excessively from tiredness and fatigue at points. I think this is partly why Klopp has rotated more and brought in more technical players over the years to balance things out - a little. He's kept the core ethos but adapted it to the times and physical limitations of the players in.

Brighton have a relatively small squad. They've had injuries too. But with the rotation and possession they have (although it's still a v. quick and frantic game) I think they will finish the season strongly. I think Arsenal are playing with more control, a less intense style this season. If they can sort out the goalscoring problem, I think they will have a strong finish to the season despite having a more demanding schedule this year than last. We've seen strong finishes to a season from Rafa who wanted us to play a little more football and rotated more than most of our other managers.

4 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I don't think it should be a surprise that we are doubling down. Howe has seen his high-intensity, press like maniacs style get us into the Champions League, demolish multiple good sides (including PSG).

What he wants is as many players who can fit seamlessly into that plan as possible. Gordon runs himself into the ground for 60mins, Barnes comes on. Willock wears himself out after 70mins, Longstaff comes on etc. We haven't been able to do that this season because of injuries, suspension and lack of depth - clearly he thinks that adding depth will allow us to play at that pace for 90mins multiple times per week and that that is the best route for success.

Seems a solid point. The injuries this crippled us.

And we couldn’t adapt.

52 minutes ago, CallumG6 said:

Chelsea wanting £50m for Armando Broja.

Not saying that's the figure we should pay, but if he could sort his fitness issues out, he'd be a good young striker to work alongside Isak for the right price.

thats an outrageous fee.

well played if they get that but who can afford it?

he's not a top level striker, never mind elite.

Guest reefatoon
41 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I don't think it should be a surprise that we are doubling down. Howe has seen his high-intensity, press like maniacs style get us into the Champions League, demolish multiple good sides (including PSG).

What he wants is as many players who can fit seamlessly into that plan as possible. Gordon runs himself into the ground for 60mins, Barnes comes on. Willock wears himself out after 70mins, Longstaff comes on etc. We haven't been able to do that this season because of injuries, suspension and lack of depth - clearly he thinks that adding depth will allow us to play at that pace for 90mins multiple times per week and that that is the best route for success.

Totally agree, the system is sound and it works, we have just been really unlucky with major injuries (and bans) to key players. Get the players back fit, bring in the right style player to play this style (this Ederson looks like the right type of player) and we will be totally fine again. It doesn’t need scrapping or changing.

20 minutes ago, Ikon said:

You are absolutely right about many things. But, never forget that it’s quite easy to read up on players to get an idea about a player. Reading on other forums about their own player and what their thoughts are on player X. Also reading reports from people who have seen a player tons of times. It doesn’t mean that you know everything about the player like a professional scout. All I’m saying is that you CAN get an idea what type of player it is, style; weaknesses and strengths. 

I think it's a case of wrong messenger rather than the point. He's seemingly replying to my "desktop scouting" line and taken it more seriously than intended hence his own "never claimed scouting knowledge" line. But I think you've communicated the point I was trying to make perfectly. 

My overall point is I think our squad would benefit from another close-to Bruno level passer or two. This Ederson lad looks a good player but doesn't seem to be the type of player that I personally think we need to evolve (not scrap). It's more (hopefully better quality) of the same. 

Edited by The College Dropout

I agree with the @The College Dropout in the idea that we need to be able to have that string to our bow, r.e players who can keep the ball and kill a game through possession. It has many benefits, fitness/fatigue being a good point.

I'm not sure this window is the one and it might not even be the summer. I can totally understand why Howe might look at this Ederson and think "another Joelinton would be bloody handy", even if that comparison isn't quite correct. 

As Howe himself points out, it is possible to play and succeed with the fast action approach, Liverpool being a good example, it's not easy though.

It's also important to remember that we aren't a bad technical side either, our possession stats are quite decent or certainly were. We might be in bad form but we are a good side that needs some fine tuning.

On Broja/50m, of course Chelsea would ask more than a players worth. Isn't that what every club does? :lol:

They might get 40, they'd be pleased with that. To an Everton, a Forest, a Brentford (as a Toney replacement) he'd possibly be worth that. He's a good player, who's chronically been mismanaged by Chelsea and obviously had some injuries.

He's not for us anyway, so it's by the by.

1 minute ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

It’s looking more and more likely that this will happen. Can we scrape the barrel and get him over the line for 35m?

Do we sell someone like Lascelles Miggy Targett to fund it?

Lascelles - out of contract in 6 months.

Miggy - possibly but only with the guarantee Murphy and Barnes will be for imminently (unlikely and too big a risk)

Targett - just coming back off a long hamstring op. No one buying in those circumstances 

6 minutes ago, STM said:

On Broja/50m, of course Chelsea would ask more than a players worth. Isn't that what every club does? :lol:

They might get 40, they'd be pleased with that. To an Everton, a Forest, a Brentford (as a Toney replacement) he'd possibly be worth that. He's a good player, who's chronically been mismanaged by Chelsea and obviously had some injuries.

He's not for us anyway, so it's by the by.

2 of those are FFP blocked and the 3rd is among the best in the country at making data-led transfer decisions which is how they ended up with Ivan Toney and Bryan Mbeumo for a combined £15m. 

The transfer market is going to stall or go into deflation IMO. In the PL aside from promoted clubs, few clubs have a lot of headroom to invest. The likes of Crystal Palace simply won't invest if they don't have too to survive. We don't know if Saudi will continue to invest. And other European leagues are dependent on PL transfer money.

Edited by The College Dropout

1 hour ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

Quite a good read and why teams are not spending. FFP is really fucking over a lot of clubs and not just PL clubs.

Because PL clubs are not throwing massive wads of cash at other leagues clubs. They can’t spend either.

Its like an egg timer effect with us being in the middle.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league-transfer-news-january-2024-b2479950.html

Is it possible that we could see a deflation in transfer fees and wages on offer? 

15 minutes ago, STM said:

I agree with the @The College Dropout in the idea that we need to be able to have that string to our bow, r.e players who can keep the ball and kill a game through possession. It has many benefits, fitness/fatigue being a good point.

I'm not sure this window is the one and it might not even be the summer. I can totally understand why Howe might look at this Ederson and think "another Joelinton would be bloody handy", even if that comparison isn't quite correct. 

As Howe himself points out, it is possible to play and succeed with the fast action approach, Liverpool being a good example, it's not easy though.

It's also important to remember that we aren't a bad technical side either, our possession stats are quite decent or certainly were. We might be in bad form but we are a good side that needs some fine tuning.

Our biggest problem is pace. We control the ball attack and commit. But then seem to get hit brutally hard.

To stop that you need a DM and I think that’s what Ederson is.

For me he looks a perfect fit. At the right price and at the right time.

8 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Lascelles - out of contract in 6 months.

Miggy - possibly but only with the guarantee Murphy and Barnes will be for imminently (unlikely and too big a risk)

Targett - just coming back off a long hamstring op. No one buying in those circumstances 

I’m thinking more to free up the wages and Miggys fee would create the gap needed for the FFP problem

to disappear.

12 minutes ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

It’s looking more and more likely that this will happen. Can we scrape the barrel and get him over the line for 35m?

Do we sell someone like Lascelles Miggy Targett to fund it?

Atalanta quite often sell via a loan to buy option - very common with Italian clubs tbh

Just now, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

Our biggest problem is pace. We control the ball attack and commit. But then seem to get hit brutally hard.

To stop that you need a DM and I think that’s what Ederson is.

For me he looks a perfect fit. At the right price and at the right time.

I think our problem is, we go hell for leather, and if we go behind, we over commit and leave huge gaps between midfield and defence. We haven't got any genuine recovery pace in the middle. 

I think we're crying out for that defensive midfielder, someone who does sit and can protect. I think teams have figured out a way to hurt us, whether that happens with a fully fit squad, I'm not sure.

I just think, in the long term, we need that holding player who is disciplined, and this Brazilian fella looks the business after my extensive YouTube scouting (I've watched 2 mins).

28 minutes ago, Ikon said:

You are absolutely right about many things. But, never forget that it’s quite easy to read up on players to get an idea about a player. Reading on other forums about their own player and what their thoughts are on player X. Also reading reports from people who have seen a player tons of times. It doesn’t mean that you know everything about the player like a professional scout. All I’m saying is that you CAN get an idea what type of player it is, style; weaknesses and strengths. 

But i don't believe we buy one dimensional players anymore, so having people making sweeping statements about he plays this position or that isn’t helpful at all, especially when they literally looked them up 20 minutes before.

For me the midfield seems to be full of players who can interchange, compliment each other, and switch swap. I don't think we pin our hopes on he's only capable of playing such a position these days, and when Howe could play his full deck of cards we could affect games differently, and you could see players were instructed to switch a fair bit.

I just get mildly irritated by the likes acting like they know everything about a player they'd not even heard of five minutes before they saw a rumour on twitter. [emoji38]

2 hours ago, Mazzy said:

Can't see Hayden coming back into the sqaud. Would seem pointless. Joe White is back and will help fill the bench.

So another unused not trusted waste on the bench. 

8 minutes ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

I’m thinking more to free up the wages and Miggys fee would create the gap needed for the FFP problem

to disappear.

There’s a shed load of players that need binning in the summer 

Dummett

Hendrick

Ritchie 

Hayden

Fraser

Manquillo

Targett

(Longstaff and Wilson)

I know he's only young (relatively) but £35M seems simultaneously absolutely crazy money and also a good deal, considering what's been paid for midfielders in the last 12 months. 

The fact he's not yet gotten a full international cap is no surprise nor a mark against him given the depth Brazil have there. 

I doubt we'll sign anyone this window but if we do this lad seems like he'd be a good one and definitely in a position were desperately lacking.