NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

3 minutes ago, andycap said:

I think people remember him hauling Murphy down at Stamford Bridge and getting away with it a few years back. But I reckon he'd be a great addition to us bit of pace in him aswell. 

Had no idea that was Chalobah. They’ve signed about 87 players since then!

24 hours ago we looked like getting Guehi and getting rid of Miggy.

24 hours on we look like not getting Guehi, keeping Miggy and mulling over whether Trevor Chalobah would be a decent alternative to Guehi ffs.

19 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Would anybody really be surprised if we don’t add anyone else? I think we’d be ok tbh.

I'd be surprised but agree that we'd be fine - as in, I believe we already have the squad to be competitive in the top 6/7/8 again. You need to freshen up to kick on though. The CB situation is very precarious; though the concern is more about the medium-to-long than immediate. 

Frankly any window where we've kept Bruno, Isak and Gordon is a result. And before KI drops the emotionally damaged fanbase meme again - almost every club on earth is susceptible to losing their best players. 

I would be fully on board with signing Chalobah, not because I think he is as good as Guehi because he isn’t but he is a decent player capable at playing at the top end of the Premier League.

That doesn’t mean we can’t sign Guehi at a later date to be first choice because we can, but as it stands we have 3 right centre backs that have played any sort of regular football for us in Schar, Lascelles and Krafth and all 3 are out of contract next summer, so we are going to need that depth.

39 minutes ago, andycap said:

I think people remember him hauling Murphy down at Stamford Bridge and getting away with it a few years back. But I reckon he'd be a great addition to us bit of pace in him aswell. 

There was also the handball we didnt get at St James where his arm was behind him.

Edit: Not saying I agree it was a handball, I'd need to look back at it, but thought it was initially.

Edited by Teslact

22 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I'd be surprised but agree that we'd be fine - as in, I believe we already have the squad to be competitive in the top 6/7/8 again. You need to freshen up to kick on though. The CB situation is very precarious; though the concern is more about the medium-to-long than immediate. 

Frankly any window where we've kept Bruno, Isak and Gordon is a result. And before KI drops the emotionally damaged fanbase meme again - almost every club on earth is susceptible to losing their best players. 

Yep - I would think that Man City and Real Madrid are pretty much the only two clubs on the planet where their best players are unlikely to be sold - and even then, it is at a push

42 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

24 hours on we look like not getting Guehi, keeping Miggy and mulling over whether Trevor Chalobah would be a decent alternative to Guehi ffs.

That just shows it's pointless keeping up with the minutiae of transfer gossip and hearsay, and especially using it a basis to judge the clubs involved.

49 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

We could back to the Ashley days if you want.

You know where maybe, just maybe, we will sign a player on loan.

Assuming we can "get them over the line".

Oh and we absolutely won't sell our best players. 100% not happening.

Until deadline day when there is no chance of a replacement.

2 minutes ago, Joe1984 said:

We could back to the Ashley days if you want.

You know where maybe, just maybe, we will sign a player on loan.

Assuming we can "get them over the line".

Oh and we absolutely won't sell our best players. 100% not happening.

Until deadline day when there is no chance of a replacement.

We're not in the Ashley days though. We're trying to get back to the Champions League.

Baring that mind I think it's fairly reasonable to be dismayed that with 2 weeks till the window ends we've so far only secured Lloyd Kelly on a free transfer.

Edited by Alberto2005

6 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

We're not in the Ashley days though. We're trying to get back to the Champions League.

Baring that mind I think it's fairly reasonable to be dismayed that with 2 weeks till the window ends we've so far only secured Lloyd Kelly on a free transfer.

A lot can happen in 2 weeks.

We also signed that crap GK. 😄

And Hall technically.

And Tonali will be available.

Edited by Joe1984

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

Would anybody really be surprised if we don’t add anyone else? I think we’d be ok tbh.

I think it would be a massive failure of a window. I appreciate positivity but to highlight two positions as the main areas to strengthen and then fail in both of them would highlight a really poor job from the Mitchell & co 

I’m not sure Mitchell’s M.O. is to bid above sensible amounts for a player already established in the league from a club known to be difficult to deal with.

It was said that this window wouldn’t be affected duly by the incoming DoF and it may be that Eddie’s got his wish on the primary target and it’s simply Mitchell’s job to try and get him without spending money we haven’t got.

Unfortunately, spending the quoted amounts does impact our ability to shop in the markets that Mitchell is known for in the search for development players. 

Tough balancing act.

At the end of the day I trust the people in charge. They know far more than most of us as to where we are at for PSR and what plans are for the future.

I'd be dissapointed if we don't sign anyone else this window. I'm certain we will have at least 1 more through the door. The squad will be ok if we don't though. Imo

If other clubs aren't playing ball we don't need to be bending over backwards.

Ridiculous amount for a centre back Mitchell would be right to walk away and find a better alternative from Europe or South America.

I like a cb who has a goal threat in him too and bullies attackers neither of which is this one tournament wonder.

Nothing wrong with Mitchell imo he's doing the job right in seeking VFM

The quality of work since Ashworth on leave has been massively disappointing. 

just to clarify, they are right to walk away from this deal but they should have other targets in place and complete the deal much earlier than now.

Howe won’t be happy for this, if not being furious

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

I’m not sure Mitchell’s M.O. is to bid above sensible amounts for a player already established in the league from a club known to be difficult to deal with.

It was said that this window wouldn’t be affected duly by the incoming DoF and it may be that Eddie’s got his wish on the primary target and it’s simply Mitchell’s job to try and get him without spending money we haven’t got.

Unfortunately, spending the quoted amounts does impact our ability to shop in the markets that Mitchell is known for in the search for development players. 

Tough balancing act.

That sounds right and it is not unreasonable to think £50M + would get accepted.

14 minutes ago, Zero said:

The quality of work since Ashworth on leave has been massively disappointing. 

just to clarify, they are right to walk away from this deal but they should have other targets in place and complete the deal much earlier than now.

Howe won’t be happy for this, if not being furious

Its not been a perfect transfer window, far from it. But there are still two weeks left, and if we believe the reports they are working hard.

1 hour ago, nufc123 said:

If Schar gets injured we are not fine. We are in massive trouble.

I know it's all guesswork but this is pretty much the crux of it. Guehi probably isn't worth £65/70M considering everything. BUT, if we lose Schar or even Burn/Kelly for any longer than a couple of matches, having Guehi there is then absolutely worth paying that £65M.

Imagine having to play Krafth and Burn CB pair in the League Cup Final or FA Cup Semi against any top side. There's no doubt we need a top quality CB in ASAP and Guehi is that.

2 hours ago, Mazzy said:

I know it's all guesswork but this is pretty much the crux of it. Guehi probably isn't worth £65/70M considering everything. BUT, if we lose Schar or even Burn/Kelly for any longer than a couple of matches, having Guehi there is then absolutely worth paying that £65M.

Imagine having to play Krafth and Burn CB pair in the League Cup Final or FA Cup Semi against any top side. There's no doubt we need a top quality CB in ASAP and Guehi is that.

You don’t know that - none of us know where we’re with in PSR except we flew so close to the sun last season.  If that £65m we spend on Guehi puts us say £15m in the red then it’s not absolutely worth it as we cannot sell players to make that up.

Balancing revenue at this club for the next few years will be difficult as most of the old regime players are unsellable and we can’t tap into that.