NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

2 hours ago, Cronky said:

Way off thread topic, but I can't resist.

As I recall, Batty replaced Lee Clark in the anchor role, which at first I think was an upgrade, but maybe not a significant one. In later seasons, I think the conservatism of his play held us back a bit.

I think that the signing we shouldn't have made was Asprilla. Good player, but the partnership between Ferdinand and Beardsley, which was so fruitful, was disrupted, with Beardsley moving out wider to replace Gillespie, who was struggling. No-one would argue that Gillespie was a better player than Asprilla, but the shape and balance of the side was badly affected.

At time time of Asprilla's signing, Brian Clough wrote an article in a paper. He said that when Forest were closing in on the title, he was tempted to make a signing 'just to make sure', as it were. He resisted the temptation, thinking that the signing might be a vote of no confidence in the existing players, and was based on anxiety rather than positive thinking. Clough thought that the Asprilla signing would prove to be an error, for those reasons.

Right or wrong, you can't get any better than correctly predicting the outcome.

I'd largely agree with that. I always look at Asprilla coming in as the turning point. Cult figure and great player, but we didn't need a maverick striker, we needed to keep clean sheets and let our existing strikers do what they did best.

I watched something recently where one of the 1996 Liverpool players was discussing the 4-3 and they said that it was drilled in to them that Newcastle's fragility at the back meant we were very beatable. Especially once pressure began to build.

The PTSD from 1996 is still so strong. I was 18, going out on the hoy, doing plenty of skuttling, driving a car, looking forward to moving to a new city for Uni.

In principle life was class.

But I was devasted inside, emotionally traumatised by our capitulation. And being at school with a few glory seeking Tyne Valley Man Utd fans was the shitty icing on a dog turd cake.

Edited by bobbydazzla

2 hours ago, Cronky said:

Way off thread topic, but I can't resist.

As I recall, Batty replaced Lee Clark in the anchor role, which at first I think was an upgrade, but maybe not a significant one. In later seasons, I think the conservatism of his play held us back a bit.

I think that the signing we shouldn't have made was Asprilla. Good player, but the partnership between Ferdinand and Beardsley, which was so fruitful, was disrupted, with Beardsley moving out wider to replace Gillespie, who was struggling. No-one would argue that Gillespie was a better player than Asprilla, but the shape and balance of the side was badly affected.

At time time of Asprilla's signing, Brian Clough wrote an article in a paper. He said that when Forest were closing in on the title, he was tempted to make a signing 'just to make sure', as it were. He resisted the temptation, thinking that the signing might be a vote of no confidence in the existing players, and was based on anxiety rather than positive thinking. Clough thought that the Asprilla signing would prove to be an error, for those reasons.

Right or wrong, you can't get any better than correctly predicting the outcome.

I always felt that was a convenient excuse used to deflect the blame from some of the players who had got us firing in the first half of the season. Players like Ferdinand and Rob Lee just stopped scoring, and felt to me that in some of the big games on the run in we froze. If anything Tino was one of those who didn't seem affected by nerves, his goal to put us in the lead in the 4-3 Anfield classic a prime exampe. You can't really blame the chaos at the back on him.

4 minutes ago, jack j said:

Not seen much of Thiaw.

Robin Koch ahead of him in the Germany squad :whistle:

More of a younger talent with some decent experience at a top club, rather than a finished article.

With all the PSR palava, I think we'll probably see more signings in this mould, that can be got for decent fees and who are on lower wages.

Just had a look and Thiaw is on less than £20,000 a week at Milan.

2 hours ago, Nucasol said:

Natch. I was at school down there in Long Eaton at the time so had the scabs giving it large the next day. Hated the cunts since, the ones that were actually Forest fans and not the subhuman plastics supporting Man Utd or Liverpool.

I know that school I think. Same one Michelle Yeoh the Chinese actress’ daughter went to. I used to work in long Eaton too. 

Looking through tweets on him, Milan fans say that Thiaw is as slow as a snail, but that Kev Kawson said he'd have registered as the 8th fastest player in the prem based on his top speed last year

So no middle ground then it appears! 

2 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

I'd largely agree with that. I always look at Asprilla coming in as the turning point. Cult figure and great player, but we didn't need a maverick striker, we needed to keep clean sheets and let our existing strikers do what they did best.

I watched something recently where one of the 1996 Liverpool players was discussing the 4-3 and they said that it was drilled in to them that Newcastle's fragility at the back meant we were very beatable. Especially once pressure began to build.

The PTSD from 1996 is still so strong. I was 18, going out on the hoy, doing plenty of skuttling, driving a car, looking forward to moving to a new city for Uni.

In principle life was class.

But I was devasted inside, emotionally traumatised by our capitulation. And being at school with a few glory seeking Tyne Valley Man Utd fans was the shitty icing on a dog turd cake.

Feel almost the same and this is one of my criticisms of Keegan. Not exactly that he bought Asprilla, but that he always tried to shoehorn players into the side rather than pick the best players for the positions in his chosen formation. Something that I've noticed about successive England managers since the 90's too.