Harvey Barnes

khay

21 minutes ago, Memphis said:

Why is this Barnes thing even being discussed at this stage? Surely we have registered interest - whatever the fuck that even means - with a number of clubs and a number of players. And since that seems to be it, what the fuck are people banging on about? This is nothing. 

A few journalist have said it's advanced or we've agreed terms with the player. Seems pretty discussion worthy.

I can see the arguments for selling or keeping Maxi - ultimately thought it comes down to finances.  He is our only saleable asset that isn't integral to the team and who is almost fully amortised - it makes sense that he would be the one we consider selling.

18 minutes ago, simonsays said:

I can see the arguments for selling or keeping Maxi - ultimately thought it comes down to finances.  He is our only saleable asset that isn't integral to the team and who is almost fully amortised - it makes sense that he would be the one we consider selling.

Surely though with that thinking you are basically saying we’ll never build up a quality squad?

The fact that if you remove our usual first 11 starters he is the only in the squad you’d be confident of bringing in a fairly sizeable fee shows we need to keep him this season.

I hope he stays an absolutely smashes it this season if for no other reason than I can turnaround to guy sitting behind me who’s your classic wannabe know it all manager that never was filling his son and anyone in earshot negativity when ASM is on the ball and tell him to go fcuk himself ?

4 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Surely though with that thinking you are basically saying we’ll never build up a quality squad?

The fact that if you remove our usual first 11 starters he is the only in the squad you’d be confident of bringing in a fairly sizeable fee shows we need to keep him this season.

I hope he stays an absolutely smashes it this season if for no other reason than I can turnaround to guy sitting behind me who’s your classic wannabe know it all manager that never was filling his son and anyone in earshot negativity when ASM is on the ball and tell him to go fcuk himself ?

Not at all.  Selling a player who is amortized helps to balance the books even if you are bringing in a replacement for a similar fee

9 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Are Transfer Checker reliable or are they just wannabe ITKs?

I assumed they were wannabes but then someone put them in Tier 1 or 2 in the reliability thread so assumed they must be better than I thought

30 minutes ago, simonsays said:

Not at all.  Selling a player who is amortized helps to balance the books even if you are bringing in a replacement for a similar fee

I understand that but for squad depth and strength that would be robbing Peter to pay Paul. If we had 4-5 ASM level players on the bench then yes I agree you need to sacrifice one for FFP and replace and start a new FFP cycle each year until our turnover greatly improves. However this season just like last season wasn’t for a FA Cup run our bench isn’t strong enough now adding 6 minimum European games as well as two domestic cups and a top 5 charge.

34 minutes ago, joeyt said:

If this is true, he's brighter than Maddison. I like the fact that he may have told his club that we are his top destination. Takes bargaining power out as they know he won't accept going anywhere else. 

I hope it's true, I can actually see Barnes being a hit here. And fits in well with our squad. Imagine him being as fit as the rest of them... 

Edited by Lish007

2 hours ago, andycap said:

I think there's numerous players in our squad the management would sell if a great offer comes in. Maxi will be the most obvious one with his injury record. But I do think baldy is just hoying maxi and the Barnes rumour together for clicks. 

This. Turd in the bath boom! Sit back and watch the show. 

Transfer Checker is one of the only genuine ITKs on Twitter. Posts a lot fluff these days to keep the clicks rolling in though.

It's not really much different to what we already know  though.

Edited by The Prophet

Feels like I'm always expecting ASM to explode and have a spectacular season but it doesn't happen. If you took him out of the equation last season I'm not sure it looks that different. Barnes on the other hand guarantees you goals and goals translate to points.

I see people refer to needing ASM's dribbling skills against a low block but the evidence from last season doesn't bear that out for me. Thought some of his worst performances were in those types of games where teams had numbers back and funnelled him down dead ends. Even in games where we struggled to score we still got into promising positions inside the box but lacked the quality to take advantage of them. Barnes has made a career out of getting himself into those positions and making it count.

If you look at other top teams you don't see many examples of enigmatic maverick players like ASM, top coaches favour percentage players that they can rely upon.

2 hours ago, LFEE said:

I understand that but for squad depth and strength that would be robbing Peter to pay Paul. If we had 4-5 ASM level players on the bench then yes I agree you need to sacrifice one for FFP and replace and start a new FFP cycle each year until our turnover greatly improves. However this season just like last season wasn’t for a FA Cup run our bench isn’t strong enough now adding 6 minimum European games as well as two domestic cups and a top 5 charge.

If we sign Barnes and sell Maxi our bench is already greatly improved from the beginning of last season. Defensively is where it needs some serious help.

Wilson

Gordon / Miggy

Willock

Longstaff

Murphy

Anderson

Targett

Lascelles

44 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

If we sign Barnes and sell Maxi our bench is already greatly improved from the beginning of last season. Defensively is where it needs some serious help.

Wilson

Gordon / Miggy

Willock

Longstaff

Murphy

Anderson

Targett

Lascelles

Don’t think Willock should be on the bench.

1 minute ago, Matt1892 said:

Selling ASM will free up a lot more than what we will be spending on Barnes and I would rather do that than consolidating with what we have.

same goes for Almiron and Wilson.

I think Barnes will go for more than ASM.

2 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

Don’t think Willock should be on the bench.

I don't want him to be. I made a previous post about how that's my least favorite part of the potential Barnes signing.

If you put him in this imaginary XI then Joelinton or Barnes is on the bench. Either way the point stands that our bench is much better than it was a year ago.