Aston Villa 1-3 Newcastle United (30/01/24) | Reaction: pg 50 | Goal-posts: OP

Disco

3 hours ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Weyhey! 

Not watched one of them before. Not sure if he’s a cunt or superb and as someone who went to The Bravery at Southampton Guildhall I think I’m leaning latter.

11 hours ago, nufcnick said:

I understand why some of our fans hate Villa, for me that hatred ended the day they beat Brighton to give us the championship title.

If I’m honest if it can’t be us this season to disrupt the sly6 and the champions league places, I’m happy for it to be them 

I want as few teams near the top as possible. Villa in the CL will only make them grow.

7 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

Didn't help us. Though will long term.

I'm guessing Villa having the benefit of a good Europa Conference campaign might help them into pot 3 rather than 4? Not sure if one season would have that much of an impact on the co-efficient though.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I want as few teams near the top as possible. Villa in the CL will only make them grow.

Exactly. If we want Champs League more frequently we have to hope the non-traditional top 6 teams don’t pull away too; it’s hard enough as it is. With FFP constraints, there’s very little separating ourselves from teams like Villa and West Ham. If people like the idea of losing transfer targets to these kinds of sides then by all means root for them. There’s only 1 team that we should want to upset the apple-cart.

Sounds a bit like "as long as the top6 becomes the top7 and we're it, fuck the rest" 

I'd rather us, Villa, Brighton, West Ham all have a go. Let's have them all able to take points off the "big 6"

Grest seeing Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea out of the CL this year. 

4 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Sounds a bit like "as long as the top6 becomes the top7 and we're it, fuck the rest" 

I'd rather us, Villa, Brighton, West Ham all have a go. Let's have them all able to take points off the "big 6"

It's weird as I now just see Chelsea as a midtable side.

Edited by relámpago blanco

Just now, Groundhog63 said:

When we're involved of course that's what I want. :lol:

Villa having a season like this is damaging to us short-term. Likelihood is top 5 will be enough for the CL once things start to heat up in the European knockout stages. Villa doing what they're doing has effectively stopped us still being in with a chance of reaching that. 

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

When we're involved of course that's what I want. :lol:

Villa having a season like this is damaging to us short-term. Likelihood is top 5 will be enough for the CL once things start to heat up in the European knockout stages. Villa doing what they're doing has effectively stopped us still being in with a chance of reaching that. 

No, our horrendous fixtures, so far, allied to an even more horrendous injury record is why we are where we are. 

Nowt to do with Villa, other than the 6 points like 😂😂😂

7 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

No, our horrendous fixtures, so far, allied to an even more horrendous injury record is why we are where we are. 

Nowt to do with Villa, other than the 6 points like 😂😂😂

If Villa were having a "normal" season then we'd be a few points off the top 5 even with everything that's gone on.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If Villa were having a "normal" season then we'd be a few points off the top 5 even with everything that's gone on.

We've lost 10 games. None of them against Villa

Watched the whole game again yesterday. In some respects, imho, it was more convincing than the 5-1 home win. 

I think that scoreline flattered us. They had, and spurned, glorious chances at vital points for me. Could've been 6-5 or something 😂😂

Still buzzing after Tuesday tho. Definitely wasn't expecting anything. 

We're back

Edited by Groundhog63

Well, that was without a doubt the worst performance under Emery, absolutely awful from start to finish.

You played very well, very organised and did well to get the most out of it and deserved the win. You didn't let us do what we do, and we didn't have a rsponse until it was too late, and even then it was only for about 15 minutes. It was a bit like the reverse of this fixture last season in that sense.

Can't overstate just how much not having Pau Torres available changes things though, not just defensively, not even mostly defensively, but in helping us move up the pitch.  Also Diaby is desperately out of form, Bailey should have been on from the start. Zaniolo came on and bounced around trying to get booked and offering nothing (which is what happens in 95% of his performances) so hopefully we'll not turn that one permanent. Ramsey is clearly not close enough to being fully fit either, and it showed when he came on.

The only players who I think came out with any credit were McGinn, Martinez and Bailey.

Reminded me a bit of losing 4-2 at home to Leicester last season. We put on a major bounce back after that, and I hope we do the same after this stinker of a result, so we've got a lot to think about.

Anyway, well played, you deserved the win, and if we had to get beaten and break that incredible run, at least it was to a side who'd got a good plan and executed it really well rather than, say, the usual undeserved Man United or Liverpool last minute catastrophe.

Interested to see that a lot of Villa fans seem to think this has been coming, and results lately have been masking a poor run of form. Sorry if you mentioned this already @brummie but anything in that? If so must make Spurs hopping into 4th last night worrying.

1 minute ago, sushimonster85 said:

Interested to see that a lot of Villa fans seem to think this has been coming, and results lately have been masking a poor run of form. Sorry if you mentioned this already @brummie but anything in that? If so must make Spurs hopping into 4th last night worrying.

Yeah there's a degree of truth in that.

We were always going to have a dodgy patch - Spurs did, Arsenal did to a degree, there's no way we weren't going to have one.

We're in ours, and have done well to still pick up points along the way, but obviously ran out of luck this week! 

There's so much football left, I'm not really arsed about other teams results here and there. I'd rather be in 4th today but it's never a continual progression from shit side to really good one, there are ups and downs in there (I've said exactly same on here about you this season).

10 minutes ago, brummie said:

Well, that was without a doubt the worst performance under Emery, absolutely awful from start to finish.

You played very well, very organised and did well to get the most out of it and deserved the win. You didn't let us do what we do, and we didn't have a rsponse until it was too late, and even then it was only for about 15 minutes. It was a bit like the reverse of this fixture last season in that sense.

Can't overstate just how much not having Pau Torres available changes things though, not just defensively, not even mostly defensively, but in helping us move up the pitch.  Also Diaby is desperately out of form, Bailey should have been on from the start. Zaniolo came on and bounced around trying to get booked and offering nothing (which is what happens in 95% of his performances) so hopefully we'll not turn that one permanent. Ramsey is clearly not close enough to being fully fit either, and it showed when he came on.

The only players who I think came out with any credit were McGinn, Martinez and Bailey.

Reminded me a bit of losing 4-2 at home to Leicester last season. We put on a major bounce back after that, and I hope we do the same after this stinker of a result, so we've got a lot to think about.

Anyway, well played, you deserved the win, and if we had to get beaten and break that incredible run, at least it was to a side who'd got a good plan and executed it really well rather than, say, the usual undeserved Man United or Liverpool last minute catastrophe.

agreed, we seemed to have no idea, and luiz, that was as bad as I've seen from him, reminded me of his early days when he joined us.....

our run had to end some time, it's how we react and I trust unai to rectify that. 

we need to bounce back straight away at sheff utd.  just need to see how we can score eight at brammall lane....where to start.......