Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Strawberry

If this all a bit of a PSR ruse to create a pure profit on Minteh, then I wonder if fans view of this transfer (Minteh out and DCL in) would change if it meant that it was the only way of keeping both Bruno and Isak?

In pure footballing terms I don’t think it makes sense, but if we were expecting a £100m windfall from Isak or Bruno then I doubt we would do it/need to do it. Maybe that’s what Eales was getting at - unless the rules change we’re going to need to keep finding young promising players and letting some

of them go at a profit to keep more established stars at the club. 

As such, if this transfer means that Bruno and Isak start the season as Newcastle players, I’m ok with this - and as much as I love him, I think next years 28 year old DCL  might be a slight upgrade on next years 33 year old Callum Wilson. 

12 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

But Gordon was very young, we knew he had pace to burn and that he was a pressing machine.

And yet still half the forum was saying he was a shite signing and insinuating Howe and the scouting team are clueless.

Like usual, if we sign him we should be excited.

Just now, Matt1892 said:

Anyone doubting a transfer is beaten with the Anthony Gordon stick.[emoji38]

And rightly so. We literally haven't made a dud signing since the takeover and people still spit their dummy out man. Has no trust been earned over the last two years?

54 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

The equivalent of setting up a deal where Miley goes to Man City for £40 million and we sign Kalvin Phillips for £40 million.

Bonkers.

Except that we know Miley can play/perform at this level, whereas Minteh is still untried, apart from one season in the arguably lower standard of the Eredivisie.

Not saying Minteh will or won't be able to step up, and really dont know whats best where he's concerned. But do think if he goes, I'd have preferred it to be abroad, just incase he turns out to be a total PL baller.

But at the end fo the day, this deal could be what the likes of Man City and Chelsea have done for years. Sweep up young talent, and sell them on for profit with little/no first team experience. Some turn out well for their new clubs, some not so good. Unfortunately, its probably part of the bigger picture now, that we will take on and move on some young talent where quick profit can be made.

The DCL signing though, is a different argument, which on the surface (DCL for Wilson) makes little to no sense. But if thats who EH wants, and they deem the risk and fee worthy, then we have to trust the process that hasn't gone too far wrong so far. 

Edited by TK-421

3 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Anyone doubting a transfer is beaten with the Anthony Gordon stick.[emoji38]

It's the way people confidently assert they know more than Howe and the scouting team.

Being dubious of a transfer and assuming we wouldn't be interested in a player is one thing, but carrying on after our interest is clear (or we've actually signed the player) comes across mental man :lol:

1 minute ago, jonny1403 said:

And rightly so. We literally haven't made a dud signing since the takeover and people still spit their dummy out man. Has no trust been earned over the last two years?

That depends what you define as a dud, for example Wood, Targett, Tonali, and Ashby would not be described as good signings at this point in time for one reason or another. 

There is no real comparison with Gordon and Calvert Lewin, one was a youngster that had potential but was struggling to put it all together, where as Calvert Lewin was good 3 years ago, before having a serious injury and never looking the same player again.

5 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

It's the way people confidently assert they know more than Howe and the scouting team.

Being dubious of a transfer and assuming we wouldn't be interested in a player is one thing, but carrying on after our interest is clear (or we've actually signed the player) comes across mental man :lol:

Tbh, most of our fans struggle to evaluate a player fairly even when they play for our team, so fuck knows how they’re managing it for another team.

14 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

And yet still half the forum was saying he was a shite signing and insinuating Howe and the scouting team are clueless.

Like usual, if we sign him we should be excited.

people will be saying "i always gordon would be great" but you're spot on, not a lot of us wanted it to happen at the time.  If it's also true that Howe has been scouting DCL for two years now then that's good enough for me.

5 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

Except that we know Miley can play/perform at this level, whereas Minteh is still untried, apart from one season in the arguably lower standard of the Eredivisie.

Not saying Minteh will or won't be able to step up, and really dont know whats best where he's concerned. But do think if he goes, I'd have preferred it to be abroad, just incase he turns out to be a total PL baller.

But at the end fo the day, this deal could be what the likes of Man City and Chelsea have done for years. Sweep up young talent, and sell them on for profit with little/no first team experience. Some turn out well for their new clubs, some not so good. Unfortunately, its probably part of the bigger picture now, that we will take on and move on some young talent where quick profit can be made.

The DCL signing though, is a different argument, which on the surface (DCL for Wilson) makes little to no sense. But if thats who EH wants, and they deem the risk and fee worthy, then we have to trust the process that hasn't gone too far wrong so far. 

IMO Minteh is more proven than Miley. Miley did ok in an injury crisis. Minteh has been productive in 2 professional leagues. Not "doing a job" like Miley has done - but actual production. Miley is younger and played at a more competitive level to his credit but he played like someone that was "filling in".

At City - Minteh would be one they would want to keep around the first-team if the lad was happy with a sub role. Chelsea is a bad example. 

5 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

Not saying Minteh will or won't be able to step up, and really dont know whats best where he's concerned. But do think if he goes, I'd have preferred ot to be abroad, just incase he turns out to be a total PL baller.

Buit at the end fo the day, this deal could be what the likes of Man City and Chelsea have done for years. Sweep up young talent, and sell them on for profit with little/no first team experience. Some turn out well for their new clubs, some not so good. Unfortunately, its probably part of the bigger picture now, that we will take on and move on soem young talent where quick profit can be made.

The DCL signing though, is a different argument, which on the surface (DCL for Wilson) makes little to no sense. But if thats who EH wants, and they deem the risk and fee worthy, then we have tio trust the process that hasn't gone too far wrong so far. 

Minteh has had a far better season than Miley, whilst the league is clearly weaker than the Premier League it was the club that decided to send him there.

People talk like we are buying someone straight out of the Dutch league, when we actively scouted him and paid a large sum of money for him from the Danish league before sending him to a Champions League team in Holland to develop.

4 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

That depends what you define as a dud, for example Wood, Targett, Tonali, and Ashby would not be described as good signings at this point in time for one reason or another. 

There is no real comparison with Gordon and Calvert Lewin, one was a youngster that had potential but was struggling to put it all together, where as Calvert Lewin was good 3 years ago, before having a serious injury and never looking the same player again.

disagree on Wood - we needed bodies, he came in did a job, we stayed up and he moved on without overstaying his welcome so professionaly all round as far as i'm concerned.  Ashby was £3m ffs

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

IMO Minteh is more proven than Miley. Miley did ok in an injury crisis. Minteh has been productive in 2 professional leagues. Not "doing a job" like Miley has done - but actual production. Miley is younger and played at a more competitive level to his credit but he played like someone that was "filling in".

At City - Minteh would be one they would want to keep around the first-team if the lad was happy with a sub role. Chelsea is a bad example. 

Miley was that good he was dropped for an injured Longstaff at the first opportunity.

Just now, Gawalls said:

disagree on Wood - we needed bodies, he came in did a job, we stayed up and he moved on without overstaying his welcome so professionaly all round as far as i'm concerned.  Ashby was £3m ffs

Wood was abysmal.

The only good thing about him was the fee we got for him when he left that most on here thought was a miracle at the time.

Wood led the line as we hoovered up points. He was hideous infront of goal, but was otherwise exactly what we needed that season as we were very direct. A lump up top that can press. In direct comparison, last season we dropped deeper and deeper in games and Isak may as well have been on the touchline.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

There's a bit of a "the club has done everything right previously, so let's not question anything they do going forward" mentality some have.

The first part isn't even true.

The club have done pretty much everything right, so we should believe there’s a sensible plan to whatever they’re planning to do next? 

Just now, gbandit said:

Miley is clearly very talented. He was rightfully pulled back to look after his development. I don’t think it says anything about his ability that he wasn’t playing and Longstaff was

Aye but someone said he was more proven than Minteh and it's not true. Minteh's a legit wonderkid.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye but someone said he was more proven than Minteh and it's not true. Minteh's a legit wonderkid.

He is (Miley more proven), at PL level, which is what I said.

We've yet to see if Minteh can make that step up.