AFC Bournemouth 1-1 Newcastle United (25/08/24)

BlueStar

Felt we didn't look right in that first half, even when it's tough for Eddie to pick his best side due to players missing through injury or suspension, somehow in my opinion he starts a weaker side than we finish with, I just wish he'd always start with the strongest possible side available, we didn't look like we were doing much, especially in that first half, the subs made a difference, Barnes has to start ahead of Murphy, and if that means Gordon on the right, then so be it, also based off Tinos past two outings we absolutely can't lose Trippier, unless we bring in another RB, having only Tino and Krafth wouldn't be enough.

Missed the game today, was expecting much worse from Joelinton after the descriptions, that’s a yellow not a red. 

Var ruling out goals like that is shit, terrible for the game, but if it exists, seems it made correct decision for the handball

Edited by Superior Acuña

After some hours to settle down from this (mostly their last minute "winner"). I've accepted this for what it was, a lucky escape. 

I do think though that missing Schar has a huge impact in these type of game, especially when you also don't have Trippier or Hall playing. That's three players out of your back 4 missing who massively contribute to playing the ball out and breaking the oppositions press.

Krafth and Burn are mostly incapable of doing that, which is why we time after time got stuck in our own half. No suprise really that we were so much more comfortable in possession when Tripps and Hall came on. Not to mention Willock who is far better than Longstaff at progressive runs out of his own half.

Forrest will be an interesting one. But I suspect we'll see a game that closely resembles the one today, especially with so many changes.

6 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

Felt we didn't look right in that first half, even when it's tough for Eddie to pick his best side due to players missing through injury or suspension, somehow in my opinion he starts a weaker side than we finish with, I just wish he'd always start with the strongest possible side available, we didn't look like we were doing much, especially in that first half, the subs made a difference, Barnes has to start ahead of Murphy, and if that means Gordon on the right, then so be it, also based off Tinos past two outings we absolutely can't lose Trippier, unless we bring in another RB, having only Tino and Krafth wouldn't be enough.

Felt sick for Tino today, trying to work with Longstaff and Murphy on his side.

Could see he was trying to progress the ball but had very little to work with ahead of him.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Felt sick for Tino today, trying to work with Longstaff and Murphy on his side.

Could see he was trying to progress the ball but had very little to work with ahead of him.

I think this is good point, the right side of our team yesterday was pretty poor. 

Hopefully we get our fingers out this week and actually improve the side. 

The triangle of burn-pope-krafu is woeful for passing out, really showed in a couple of bungling moments. Tino is a beast of a ball carrier but again he’s no Trippier on the ball and Kelly is an unknown entity but certainly on yesterday’s showing he lacks the technical quality of Hall.

Then 2 out of our 3 midfielders (Longstaff & Joelinton) - both have excellent qualities (mainly their physicality) but, again, they’re not technically excellent passers/on the ball. 

Murphy on the right, don’t need to say anything there. 

That’s over half the team who are objectively below average PL players when it comes to passing out/controlling possession. The opposition tactics can basically boil down to ‘don’t allow Bruno to receive it on the half turn and press everyone else relentlessly whenever they have possession’.

We really missed schar yesterday & botman is a miss longer term. 

Hopefully Spurs at home might suit our game a bit more, hit them on the transitions. Already a few fires for Eddie to put out tactically/selection wise. 

Still; 4 points 😀.

Beat spurs, sign Guehi +1 and it’s an excellent start to the season. 

9 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I think if it's the other way I'm fizzing because I don’t believe the footage is absolutely conclusive in terms of where it hits him. For VAR to take two points away from a team based on imperfect evidence which requires a fair amount of assumption... it's a massive call. Absolutely the sort of thing that you should just say, nah, we shouldn't intervene here.

But to allow a goal clearly scored by the arm would have been a massive call as well. Bournemouth were unlucky that there was VAR to step in and correct their goal, but it's quite obviously hand ball, and there wouldn't have been a goal had he not lead with his arm.

1 hour ago, Rod said:

I'm Still staggered that Murphy was on the pitch when you have Barnes and Willock on the bench.  Absolutely baffling!

Understand your frustration re: Barnes, but Howe has repeatedly said that Willock isn’t quite ready to be starting. They’re purposefully taking it easy with him.

1 hour ago, Rod said:

I'm Still staggered that Murphy was on the pitch when you have Barnes and Willock on the bench.  Absolutely baffling!

Indeed. Someone has questions to answer when Murphy is still starting games with everyone fit. Massive transfer failure.

5 minutes ago, Nobody said:

But to allow a goal clearly scored by the arm would have been a massive call as well. Bournemouth were unlucky that there was VAR to step in and correct their goal, but it's quite obviously hand ball, and there wouldn't have been a goal had he not lead with his arm.

True, but the point is they're supposed to have conclusive proof of [insert infringement] in order to overturn it. I'm thinking along the lines of the Gordon winner against Arsenal last season.

I've watched it a few more times to try and convince myself we've not actually been so lucky to come away with a point, and I think I'm there. :lol: I'm just saying, if it's the other way around - and I'm searching for the injustice - I'm suggesting that the evidence maybe isn't clear enough. 

4 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Indeed. Someone has questions to answer when Murphy is still starting games with everyone fit. Massive transfer failure.

Murphy is in the top 1% for assisters for his position for Europe over the last year in fairness:

Screenshot_20240826-085543.thumb.png.0d127a90247000de5299a99e4d61050e.png

3 minutes ago, 54 said:

Murphy is in the top 1% for assisters for his position for Europe over the last year in fairness:

So do you agree or disagree? I’m not sure what that graphic points to.

Edited by Ronaldo

We need better than Murphy if we're going to progress but it's hardly the crime of the century that he's still starting games for us, as if he's Paul Dummett or Isaac Hayden. Blame PSR if anything. 

1 hour ago, Rod said:

I think leaving out Barnes is baffling considering he's fit, whether he's better as an impact player or not. I don't understand all the time off for Gordon after playing 4 mins at the euros, unless there's personal stuff we don't know about, but he's only half the player at the minute. 

Joe willock is class, but his game time is probably being managed because he's so injury prone.

I also think trippier and hall give us better width than tino and Kelly. I'd like to see the team that finished the game (minus almiron and I can't remember who else came on with him) start the next premier league game. 

Obviously a toss up between willock and tonali

Don’t know how viable it is long term or if it’s the equivalent of chucking a cb in the left back position but wonder if it’s worth starting Gordon and Barnes in the wide positions and getting them to switch throughout the game. 

Given how much better we looked and you’ve got to pick your best players. 

If you asked both Barnes and Gordon if you'd rather be on the bench or starting RW, neither are saying bench.

It's telling that Howe plays them both when we're chasing games - we can configure a starting lineup with them both in.

Keegan was a big advocate of "Here's our best 11, figure out how to get them all in the same team"

From Beardsley on the right wing to allow both Ferdinand and Shearer up front, to finding a way to get Viduka, Owen and Martins all in the same team "who's better at standing up front doing nothing than Viduka?"

Edited by Skeletor

Not sure what's happened to our pressing game but not hunting in packs as much anymore. Did it for a bit yesterday but dropped off quickly and invited pressure on us. 

I guess good news that we haven't lost the first 2 so scraping by when playing shit but need to get back to being relentless in pressing. Barely attacked for large parts of yesterday's game and when we did get the ball back just kept giving it away with sloppy passes.

Hopefully Tonali makes a difference and get at least 1 or 2 players in. Think we miss Botman and Schar at back as well as their passing range is immense compared to Krafu and Burn.

59 minutes ago, 54 said:

If by some miracle we get up the pitch and he can whip in a cross, then yes he does pretty well with that.

The reality is though, he's a winger that can't take defenders on and can't find his teammates with the ball, killing our build up play, and making it difficult to get him into position to cross the ball.

chrome_screenshot_26Aug202410_08_30BST.thumb.png.923d90914e7436e41657d0d14570b03a.png

To be honest, looking at the game stats from yesterday you'd think it was a fair result where both teams played reasonably well... part of me wonders if we're being overly critical... but then I remember that I watched the match and we looked out of sorts, the starting eleven had no energy, no real drive and made some really poor mistakes:

image.thumb.png.524c491b32856a44b6b6981609d4df51.png

What does Eddie do to get us back on track? Do we need the uncertainty of a marquee signing to be resolved, is the issue that we've got stale and need some fresh blood to pep us up again?