AFC Bournemouth 1-1 Newcastle United (25/08/24)

BlueStar

Just now, Cristov said:

lost away to these last season so i'm taking it as 1 point up

To be very glass half full we've bettered our result in both of the equivalent fixtures so far, if you equate Southampton with Luton. Maybe demonstrates what we were all thinking last season, about us falling the wrong side of the margins on account of the injuries and fatigue. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

If you want to be forgiving about any aspect of our performance then you can point to our two first choice CBs being out. I like Krafth and especially Burn - but combine them with Popey and you've got a triumvirate of doom in terms of building play. Throw in a scruffy Joelinton performance and forget it. We resorted to pointing long which was rarely better.

We cant play the ball around the back line with that calamity of passing ability, it's a critical point and breaks up your play before you even get going. It also puts too much pressure on the fullbacks to bring the ball out or the midfielders receive the ball when already under pressure. 

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

If you want to be forgiving about any aspect of our performance then you can point to our two first choice CBs being out. I like Krafth and especially Burn - but combine them with Popey and you've got a triumvirate of doom in terms of building play. Throw in a scruffy Joelinton performance and you can forget it. We resorted to punting long which was rarely better.

Yeah that's true - I said in watching we should put Joelinton higher on GKs and drop Isak in, then just go long and let it bounce off Joe or something then try and win the second ball, just to try and do something different.

It's obviously a general trend in the game but the whole sticking to a way of trying to do something and lack of "be pragmatic and play the game in front of you" is something we could be better at.

But the shithousery is somewhat back so one thing at a time! 

34 minutes ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

Watch Krafth shit himself when passed back to under mild pressure at around the 70th minute mark and see of you still agree.

Yeah i still think a RW is needed more than a CB. We have Schar, Botman and Lascelles coming back with Kelly also being a CB. We have Almiron or Murphy at RW who are incredibly limited. 

2 hours ago, Crimson Cardigan said:

On the plus side this will quiet the “Barnes was a waste of money” stuff for a while.

Is Gordon's head still turned? 😄

7 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Howe basically has admitted their goal should've stood.  Fair play.

I like that - gets a lot of brownie points in my book.

5 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Still loyal to Bournemouth, the treasonous clown.

He’s gonna be honest about it with it being Bournemouth, not only did he manage them for 11 years but he spent his entire youth career there and had over 270 appearances as a player for them.

7 minutes ago, Joe1984 said:

Is Gordon's head still turned? 😄

Howe and Tindall can't stand Hughes,  definitely  wouldn't  want a player to leave and go there.

Edited by splinter

Strange game. Thought both teams were really poor on the ball, don’t think the wind (or a dry looking pitch) aided on that front though. Thought our tactics until the Trippier/Barnes sub were bizarre which massively impeded us going forward likewise the constant short corners which kept leading to nothing especially when Neto isn’t the best, put him under some pressure.

Wouldn't have said anyone had a better than 7/10 performance for us with Bruno probably being the pick as he, at least, looked to make things happen.

The usual deficiencies, we’ve seen so many times, from us kept coming to the fore which made for a hugely frustrating game.

The draw was probably a fair result in total albeit you’d be fewmin’ if that disallowed goal was the other round. Positively we are a point up on last season so you can’t grumble too much.

34 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

He’s gonna be honest about it with it being Bournemouth, not only did he manage them for 11 years but he spent his entire youth career there and had over 270 appearances as a player for them.

So much for my feeble attempt at sarcasm.

I think the most frustrating thing about today was the lack of intensity. Obviously we struggled to do that last season due to the quantity of injuries and fixtures and we couldn't have got away with it after going down to 10 men last weekend but what happened today? We've had over a week off to rest and prepare and multiple options on the bench but we were so passive.

A well organised press and winning the ball high up the field was a hallmark of the 4th place season, we looked impossible to handle on multiple occasions. What has happened to that?

Just now, Keegans Export said:

I think the most frustrating thing about today was the lack of intensity. Obviously we struggled to do that last season due to the quantity of injuries and fixtures and we couldn't have got away with it after going down to 10 men last weekend but what happened today? We've had over a week off to rest and prepare and multiple options on the bench but we were so passive.

A well organised press and winning the ball high up the field was a hallmark of the 4th place season, we looked impossible to handle on multiple occasions. What has happened to that?

We had these exact types of performances then too though. Second game that season was Brighton away and we were well beaten in general play while looking very leggy.

20 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

We had these exact types of performances then too though. Second game that season was Brighton away and we were well beaten in general play while looking very leggy.

Aye but we looked brilliant in the first game against Forest.

26 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I suspect today was tactical. Our back line today massively lacked pace, and if Bournemouth had successfully bypassed our press we’d have been hugely exposed with their front 4.   

We have to find a way of moving the ball quicker, at times would get to one of our players and Bournemouth had time to reorganise. We move it far too slow.

Also our technical ability is shocking, misplaced passes, no mobility, struggling to know what to do with the ball. Bournemouth moved the ball well and worked space much better