***The Quote-tastic thread***

Guest smoggeordie

simply can't believe the amount of people who still think a new full back will score the goals if Martins is injured.

Along with the fact that they also still think the shite board will conjur up more money - again - than all the clubs with better boards than us.

Staggering.

bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif

Where are all of these people who think a new fullback will score the goals if Martins is injured?

You really are desperate to make yourself look stupid, are you doing this for a bet?

if you think it is daft, so do I. Maybe you should ask these people why they think a full back and/or a central defender is the priority, not me, because it isn't me who is saying it.

Maybe they have a crystal ball like you, maybe the one they have tells them that we'll suffer injuries at the back in the way yours tells you that Martins is going to get injured.  Maybe they see Shola being injured and Rossi returning to Man U as a need for a replacement, then again they may see the injuries to Carr, Moore, Babayaro, Bernard and Bramble as reasons to get somebody in to play at the back.

We have plenty of defenders. We don't have plenty of forwards. Make a judgement of the shape of the team and how it plays. The defence is doing well enough, if Martins is injured we have nobody. There is no crystal ball, just common sense, but I realise that is beyond you as all you want to do is apply hindsight and criticise accordingly.

We don't have "plenty of defenders" though do we really? We have a few young centre backs filling in at fb and a rw doing the same. We don't really have any natural full backs that are good enough! Solano is doing a good job but as soon as he is injured we don't have anyone who can defend and attack from the full back position.

Solano has played many times at RB through his career, he's not inexperienced in that position and can really be counted as a RB, tbh.

simply can't believe the amount of people who still think a new full back will score the goals if Martins is injured.

Along with the fact that they also still think the shite board will conjur up more money - again - than all the clubs with better boards than us.

Staggering.

Where are all of these people who think a new fullback will score the goals if Martins is injured?

You really are desperate to make yourself look stupid, are you doing this for a bet?

if you think it is daft, so do I. Maybe you should ask these people why they think a full back and/or a central defender is the priority, not me, because it isn't me who is saying it.

Maybe they have a crystal ball like you, maybe the one they have tells them that we'll suffer injuries at the back in the way yours tells you that Martins is going to get injured.  Maybe they see Shola being injured and Rossi returning to Man U as a need for a replacement, then again they may see the injuries to Carr, Moore, Babayaro, Bernard and Bramble as reasons to get somebody in to play at the back.

We have plenty of defenders. We don't have plenty of forwards. Make a judgement of the shape of the team and how it plays. The defence is doing well enough, if Martins is injured we have nobody. There is no crystal ball, just common sense, but I realise that is beyond you as all you want to do is apply hindsight and criticise accordingly.

We don't have "plenty of defenders" though do we really? We have a few young centre backs filling in at fb and a rw doing the same. We don't really have any natural full backs that are good enough! Solano is doing a good job but as soon as he is injured we don't have anyone who can defend and attack from the full back position.

Solano has played many times at RB through his career, he's not inexperienced in that position and can really be counted as a RB, tbh.

Yeah he can be counted but then we still have less full backs than strikers.

We have Carr, Solano, Taylor, Ramage, Moore, Bramble, Huntington, Babayaro and Bernard for 4 defensive positions.

We have Owen, Martins, Sibierski and Ameobi for 2 positions.

Who have I forgotten?

As others have suggested, it's easier to get players to fill in at fullback than it is to score goals. Someone even suggested Parker at RB and it's not a bad idea, killing two birds with one stone like. You wouldn't put him up front and expect him to score goals, for example. If you don't score goals you are relegated.

We have Carr, Solano, Taylor, Ramage, Moore, Bramble, Huntington, Babayaro and Bernard for 4 defensive positions.

Who have I forgotten?

As others have suggested, it's easier to get players to fill in at fullback than it is to score goals. Someone even suggested Parker at RB and it's not a bad idea, killing two birds with one stone like. You wouldn't put him up front and expect him to score goals, for example. If you don't score goals you are relegated.

If we are including people like that we have Owen, Martins, Sibierski, Dyer, Duff, Ameobi and Milner up front for two attacking positions.

I said we needed a striker but to claim we have plenty of defenders is mental!

Staggering.

yes we do. Defending is also easier, players can fill in at the back, you will have a sound defence if you are organised and have a leader. You also defend better if you hold the ball further up the pitch. This is our main problem as a team, we don't do this very well. If you don't do that, the best defenders will still concede goals because they are under pressure, and you will lose games 1-0 unless you can score goals. And the teams who don't score goals are the ones who get relegated. If Martins and/or Sibierski are injured and stop scoring, we will head back downwards in the table.

So, do you think the club should buy players in January, or not ?

You clearly have forgotten the pathetic position we were in as a result of selling our best players and buying cheap replacements for over 30 years, if indeed you did witness it as you say you did, or do you think that was the better strategy and so would prefer the club to revert to that one ?  Just think if McKeag and his cronies hadn't been taken over, all your glory days of challenging for the 2nd division title instead of playing in europe regularly would have been ours, and a failed share issue and half empty ground at the end of it all. Still, no different to nowadays eh  :lol: :lol:

An answer would be appreciated. Although I realise you are dodging it, so you can criticise later for buying/criticise for not buying [delete as appropriate]

Because of Shepherd and his mismanagement we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.  Because of Shepherd we're skint but not in a position to sit back and live with what we've got, the squad is paper thin because of his decisions, not mine and not because of any supporter, just the chairman.

You really are a hypocrite, you defend the person who had put us into this position while you have a go at fans who just want the best, something that Shepherd hasn't delivered.

Did I, or any other supporter force Shepherd to bring in Souness?

Did I, or any other supporter force him to sell Bellamy and Robert?

Did I, or any other supporter force him to buy Boumsong and Luque?

Years ago we sold our best players as you say, we replaced them on the cheap, under Shepherd and his mismanagement we've sold them on the cheap and replaced them with expensive players who have too often been flops.

Robert goes on a free, Luque comes in at something like £9million, Bellamy goes for less than £4 million, Woodgate goes for £13 million only to see most of that fee invested in Boumsong for £8.5 million, oh how lucky we are to have deals like that, it's brilliant that we can make a £5.5 million loss on a player.

Who has said that pre-1992 is the same as it is today?

Who have I forgotten?

If we are including people like that we have Owen, Martins, Sibierski, Dyer, Duff, Ameobi and Milner up front for two attacking positions.

No, those other players you've mentioned are not strikers at all. The players I listed as defenders are defenders, even Solano given his experience over the years in the position. We really only have 3 strikers if my information is correct because Sibierski hasn't been a regular striker throughout his career, we're just using him there since signing him, so including him in that group of 4 was a concession to you, tbh.

Staggering.

yes we do. Defending is also easier, players can fill in at the back, you will have a sound defence if you are organised and have a leader. You also defend better if you hold the ball further up the pitch. This is our main problem as a team, we don't do this very well. If you don't do that, the best defenders will still concede goals because they are under pressure, and you will lose games 1-0 unless you can score goals. And the teams who don't score goals are the ones who get relegated. If Martins and/or Sibierski are injured and stop scoring, we will head back downwards in the table.

We will also keep the ball up their end of the pitch if we have full backs who have one attacking bone in their body rather than getting it, panic, try and just whack it in the box or get rid asap!

It's unbelievable and desperation to be right.  Ramage is now going off injured but we don't need a defender.

It's unbelievable and desperation to be right.  Ramage is now going off injured but we don't need a defender.

Sibierski at CB, we have PLENTY of defenders  :thup: :lol:

Sibierski at CB, we have PLENTY of defenders  :thup: :lol:

Jesus wept, it's 3 at the back, we've got loads of defenders. bluebiggrin.gif

We could sign Ronaldinho, Henry and Klose in January and it wouldn't matter for fuck so long as we have to keep playing the likes of Ramage, Edgar and Huntington at the back and mostly out of position. 

And I don't give two flying fucks if Nobby's done well at RB.  He's not getting any younger and Carr isn't getting any slimmer so we need fucking sorted out there quick like as well.

Yes, a striker is needed because if Oba goes down we're not looking like scoring.  But I would not put all our eggs in one basket with the striker we bring in.  Pick up a decent, cheap Championship striker, someone hungry with average finishing, then go right back to cleaning up the mess that is our back 4.

So, do you think the club should buy players in January, or not ?

You clearly have forgotten the pathetic position we were in as a result of selling our best players and buying cheap replacements for over 30 years, if indeed you did witness it as you say you did, or do you think that was the better strategy and so would prefer the club to revert to that one ?  Just think if McKeag and his cronies hadn't been taken over, all your glory days of challenging for the 2nd division title instead of playing in europe regularly would have been ours, and a failed share issue and half empty ground at the end of it all. Still, no different to nowadays eh  :lol: :lol:

An answer would be appreciated. Although I realise you are dodging it, so you can criticise later for buying/criticise for not buying [delete as appropriate]

Because of Shepherd and his mismanagement we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.  Because of Shepherd we're skint but not in a position to sit back and live with what we've got,  the squad is paper thin because of his decisions, not mine and not because of any supporter, just the chairman.

You really are a hypocrite, you defend the person who had put us into this position while you have a go at fans who just want the best, something that Shepherd hasn't delivered.

Did I, or any other supporter force Shepherd to bring in Souness?

Did I, or any other supporter force him to sell Bellamy and Robert?

Did I, or any other supporter force him to buy Boumsong and Luque?

Years ago we sold our best players as you say, we replaced them on the cheap, under Shepherd and his mismanagement we've sold them on the cheap and replaced them with expensive players who have too often been flops.

Robert goes on a free, Luque comes in at something like £9million, Bellamy goes for less than £4 million, Woodgate goes for £13 million only to see most of that fee invested in Boumsong for £8.5 million, oh how lucky we are to have deals like that, it's brilliant that we can make a £5.5 million loss on a player.

Who has said that pre-1992 is the same as it is today?

One thing you did get right is when you agreed with me that Souness was a disaster, nobody is defending that and I never will. Up until that they were doing alright, as I say, lots of european qualifications, so they weren't as bad as you like to make out.

And the highlight is the most hypocritical thing you have EVER posted.

So. Do you think the club should spend more money in January or not ?

9 defenders for 4 positions is actually plenty of defenders. We're having exceptional injuries right now.

3 strikers ( one of whom isn't PL standard anyway ) for 2 positions looks more than slightly thinner resources to me.

As has been said time and time again, it's easier to get players to fill in at the back than it is to get someone to score goals.

One thing you did get right is when you agreed with me that Souness was a disaster, nobody is defending that and I never will. Up until that they were doing alright, as I say, lots of european qualifications, so they weren't as bad as you like to make out.

Up until Souness we were not doing alright, stop trying to change history.  Before Sir Bobby moved us back to the top we had two 11th and two 13th finishes, how's that alright?

The club has no option but to spend, the fact that we can't really afford it is down to Shepherd and his mismanagement.

9 defenders for 4 positions is actually plenty of defenders. We're having exceptional injuries right now.

3 strikers ( one of whom isn't PL standard anyway ) for 2 positions looks more than slightly thinner resources to me.

As has been said time and time again, it's easier to get players to fill in at the back than it is to get someone to score goals.

Blatant propaganda.

So you ignored my point including Dyer et all but you will include Bernard who hasn't and isn't likely to play for us this season or ever again?  :lol:

What a joke!

Up until Souness we were not doing alright, stop trying to change history.  Before Sir Bobby moved us back to the top we had two 11th and two 13th finishes, how's that alright?

The club has no option but to spend, the fact that we can't really afford it is down to Shepherd and his mismanagement.

Only 4 teams have qualified more for europe in the last decade. Fact. And reached 2 FA Cup Finals. The board that you think "is the same as the current one" qualified for europe 4 times in 30 years, only once from a top 5 position, and reached one FA Cup Final and one League Cup Final. Fact. We also spent the vast majority of our time below the positions you think are now not good enough, in fact a lot lower. Fact. This board has been in charge of the club while it has reached its highest league positions over the span of a decade since the 1950's and longer. Fact.

Only 4 teams have qualified more for europe in the last decade. Fact. And reached 2 FA Cup Finals. The board that you think "is the same as the current one" qualified for europe 4 times in 30 years, only once from a top 5 position, and reached one FA Cup Final and one League Cup Final. Fact. We also spent the vast majority of our time below the positions you think are now not good enough, in fact a lot lower. Fact. This board has been in charge of the club while it has reached its highest league positions over the span of a decade since the 1950's and longer. Fact.

bluesleep.gif

bluesleep.gif

Thats right. Don't bother reading factual information to base your "opinions" on.......which is of course why they are incorrect.