***The Quote-tastic thread***

Guest smoggeordie

Upson is a quality player stuck at a shit club. And I find it very hard to praise anyone who plays there.

Someone on one of our boards was sat behind MON at St Andrews a few weeks ago and apparently he was scrawling notes on Upson (yes, probably bullshit, but is entirely feasible).

There's no way they'd sell him to us, though.

On the whole January transfer window thing, I think there are going to be an awful lot of disappointed clubs / fans - don't expect many big deals to be done.

What kind of money do you think Villa will spend?

It its less than £10m will you be unhappy?

Upson is crap and a bottom 6 Prem team is his level. Seems a bit injury prone too.

When has Wenger ever let a young player go and they've proven to be class? Never.

Bently has looked quite handy, but then again it was his decision to leave, not wengers

Yeah, he wanted to leave and while he is good he's hardly a real class player is he? Same with Boa Morte, neither of them would have gotten past Pires and Ljungberg in their pomp or even currently past Rosicky or Hleb.

Upson is a quality player stuck at a shit club. And I find it very hard to praise anyone who plays there.

Someone on one of our boards was sat behind MON at St Andrews a few weeks ago and apparently he was scrawling notes on Upson (yes, probably bullshit, but is entirely feasible).

There's no way they'd sell him to us, though.

On the whole January transfer window thing, I think there are going to be an awful lot of disappointed clubs / fans - don't expect many big deals to be done.

What kind of money do you think Villa will spend?

It its less than £10m will you be unhappy?

We need to spend more than 10m to bolster the areas of the squad that need it, but I think that it will be impossible really to learn much from the January window - as i said, there are going to be precious few transfers made, imho - look at all the people being linked with moves, they're almost all being marked out as "not for sale" by their clubs.

I think the summer is where it will all happen, unfortunately.

We desperately, desperately need strikers. Rumour is, and it wouldnt surprise me, that we have an agreement to sign Nugent. We ideally need two strikers in January, but I can't see where two decent, available strikers are going to come from.

TOTTENHAM and Newcastle are leading the race for Derby’s £3million-rated whizkid Giles Barnes, writes DAVE KIDD.

Toon boss Glenn Roeder has been an admirer ever since the midfielder, 18, tore apart his academy side two years ago.

Spurs chief Martin Jol is also keen on the talented youngster, who can also play on either wing.

And the Dutchman may be willing to loan Barnes back to the promotion-chasing Rams for the rest of the season — in a deal similar to the one which took Tom Huddlestone from Pride Park to White Hart Lane two years ago.

Barnes is being regularly watched by top-flight scouts, including Chelsea.

And Derby boss Billy Davies admits he will not stand in the player’s way if the price is right.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-10151,00.html

Good prospect.

These are my (arguably) realistic prospects for the next two transfer windows. Obviously, i'm not expecting us to sign this number of players, but these are what i'd call my preferences. Two names for each position we need strengthening.

Lauren - £2/3m? Dunno his contract situation tbh. Won't be surprised if he leaves Arsenal at the end of the season. Eboue, Hoyte and even Gilbert who may been in Wenger's priority above Lauren. He's been plagued with a rotten ankle (don't quote me) injury for the entirety of 2006. But he's an experienced player, who is hard as nails and simply knows what to do. Would improve our defense massively.

Lucas Neill - £3/4m or £0. He's a twat, but he's a good full-back who needs a move desperately. Besides which, we need some nails in our defense, Babayaro's a half-hearted ponce, Carr is simply incompetent and Taylor/Ramage are inexperienced. Out of contract at Blackburn in the summer, i believe.

Sylvain Distin - £2/3m or £0. He's unlikely to be leaving in January, but i don't think we really need a centre-back in January anyway. I would have liked us to have got Pressley in for cover, but that boat's sailed. Distin is a competent, controlled and experienced defender - who already knows this club; he's a top professional. He'd not only improve the defense itself, but he'd bring on the young lads, plus he's versatile. Madness not to go for him if he's available on a free in the summer.

Wes Brown - £5m. Class centre-back when he gets a run in the side at United. If he's going to be available for this sort of rumoured price, it's simply a bargain - despite one or two injury troubles. Wasted at Man Utd, he's never going to properly become a regular in the side there, and if he was - he would have done by now. Doubt he is available, but if he is, it'd be great.

Leighton Baines - £7m. We never replaced Olivier Bernard. Not with Taylor or Ramage, not with Babayaro, and Huntington isn't a left-back. It's time that we knew what we were doing with our defense, and paying good money for this sort of quality is what needs to be done. Baiens is already a top quality wing-back, who is simply going to get better. We need to get this guy, he'll sort out our pitiful left-back situation 'once and for all'. It's, without a doubt, the weakest position in our squad, and i'll go mental if we don't sort it out with a proper signing in January or the summer.

Gareth Bale - £7m. Same theory as with Baines, but every man and his dog is after Bale, and he's more of a risk than Baines.

Darren Bent - £9m This guy has got undoubted quality, but i am umming and ahhing as to whether we actually need another class striker or not, i think we probably just need a stopgap*. I just hope that Bent goes in January, because i can see Pardew keeping Charlton up, and he might stay. But anyway, he'd work fantastically well with Martins in my opinion - because he's a natural goalscorer and Martins is more of a creater. IMO. I'd certainly prefer him to Crouch. We'd have a superb striking line-up if this guy was in our squad. Worth the money in terms of quality, but questionable as to whether we need him or not.

* Mark Viduka - £2m. The stopgap. This guy has got quality, no matter what people say, and he is incredibly skillful with his back to goal. However, i would want to bring Viduka on the cheap to play with Martins, and just score goals. Let that be his job, because he's too porky now to playmake - just put him in the box and give him the ball - he'll score, much like Shearer's role in the last two seasons.

Positions that are not a necessity:

Shaun Wright-Phillips - Loan. He's leaving Chelsea, i think that's a given now. Him coming to Newcastle until the end of the season would work spectacularly for us, and well for Chelsea, and even better for him. It bumps his price up for Chelsea, it helps us gain a European spot, and it gives him regular football and a chance back with the England squad. Milner's turning into a good player, no doubt, but he's got no competition in that position, and despite my liking of the lad - he hasn't got the quality to get us into a top 6 spot, this season. Next season and beyond, definitely. SWP has that quality, and if we got him on loan until the end of the season, i'd be dead chuffed.

Lassana Diarra - £4m. Doubt we'd get him, but he'd my ideal replacement for an ageing Butt come next season. Young and highly-rated and DMis his position. But Makelele's just warming his seat apparantely.

Giles Barnes - £4m. Major talent, who will end up leaving Derby. So versatile; can play across all of the midfield, and upfront/behind striker, a la Dyer and Sib. I just like him though, i don't think we especially need him. He proably wouldn't make it here - because there's so much competition for places, and there will be upfront next season. Wouldn't be disappointed to see us get him, like.

Preferences:

Lauren - Summer

Wes Brown - Summer

Leighton Baines - January

Shaun Wright-Phillips - January

Darren Bent - January

Of course, a lot depends on cost. Do we have the funds or not? We may do by the summer.

He's not that good, he's not young, he's overrated and we've been linked to him far far too much for my liking.

:thup: i keep thinking of that disastrous mistake he made last season where he got mugged on his own goal line... citeh's defensive record cant be that good either. I would certainly be looking to get someone better personally...

These are my (arguably) realistic prospects for the next two transfer windows. Obviously, i'm not expecting us to sign this number of players, but these are what i'd call my preferences. Two names for each position we need strengthening.

Lauren - ?/3m? Dunno his contract situation tbh. Won't be surprised if he leaves Arsenal at the end of the season. Eboue, Hoyte and even Gilbert who may been in Wenger's priority above Lauren. He's been plagued with a rotten ankle (don't quote me) injury for the entirety of 2006. But he's an experienced player, who is hard as nails and simply knows what to do. Would improve our defense massively.

Lucas Neill - ?/4m or ?. He's a T***, but he's a good full-back who needs a move desperately. Besides which, we need some nails in our defense, Babayaro's a half-hearted ponce, Carr is simply incompetent and Taylor/Ramage are inexperienced. Out of contract at Blackburn in the summer, i believe.

Sylvain Distin - ?/3m or ?. He's unlikely to be leaving in January, but i don't think we really need a centre-back in January anyway. I would have liked us to have got Pressley in for cover, but that boat's sailed. Distin is a competent, controlled and experienced defender - who already knows this club; he's a top professional. He'd not only improve the defense itself, but he'd bring on the young lads, plus he's versatile. Madness not to go for him if he's available on a free in the summer.

Wes Brown - ?m. Class centre-back when he gets a run in the side at United. If he's going to be available for this sort of rumoured price, it's simply a bargain - despite one or two injury troubles. Wasted at Man Utd, he's never going to properly become a regular in the side there, and if he was - he would have done by now. Doubt he is available, but if he is, it'd be great.

Leighton Baines - ?m. We never replaced Olivier Bernard. Not with Taylor or Ramage, not with Babayaro, and Huntington isn't a left-back. It's time that we knew what we were doing with our defense, and paying good money for this sort of quality is what needs to be done. Baiens is already a top quality wing-back, who is simply going to get better. We need to get this guy, he'll sort out our pitiful left-back situation 'once and for all'. It's, without a doubt, the weakest position in our squad, and i'll go mental if we don't sort it out with a proper signing in January or the summer.

Gareth Bale - ?m. Same theory as with Baines, but every man and his dog is after Bale, and he's more of a risk than Baines.

Darren Bent - ?m This guy has got undoubted quality, but i am umming and ahhing as to whether we actually need another class striker or not, i think we probably just need a stopgap*. I just hope that Bent goes in January, because i can see Pardew keeping Charlton up, and he might stay. But anyway, he'd work fantastically well with Martins in my opinion - because he's a natural goalscorer and Martins is more of a creater. IMO. I'd certainly prefer him to Crouch. We'd have a superb striking line-up if this guy was in our squad. Worth the money in terms of quality, but questionable as to whether we need him or not.

* Mark Viduka - ?m. The stopgap. This guy has got quality, no matter what people say, and he is incredibly skillful with his back to goal. However, i would want to bring Viduka on the cheap to play with Martins, and just score goals. Let that be his job, because he's too porky now to playmake - just put him in the box and give him the ball - he'll score, much like Shearer's role in the last two seasons.

Shaun Wright-Phillips - Loan. He's leaving Chelsea, i think that's a given now. Him coming to Newcastle until the end of the season would work spectacularly for us, and well for Chelsea, and even better for him. It bumps his price up for Chelsea, it helps us gain a European spot, and it gives him regular football and a chance back with the England squad. Milner's turning into a good player, no doubt, but he's got no competition in that position, and despite my liking of the lad - he hasn't got the quality to get us into a top 6 spot, this season. Next season and beyond, definitely. SWP has that quality, and if we got him on loan until the end of the season, i'd be dead chuffed.

Lassana Diarra - ?m. Doubt we'd get him, but he'd my ideal replacement for an ageing Butt come next season. Young and highly-rated and DMis his position. But Makelele's just warming his seat apparantely.

Giles Barnes - ?m. Major talent, who will end up leaving Derby. So versatile; can play across all of the midfield, and upfront/behind striker, a la Dyer and Sib. I just like him though, i don't think we especially need him. He proably wouldn't make it here - because there's so much competition for places, and there will be upfront next season. Wouldn't be disappointed to see us get him, like.

Preferences:

Lauren - Summer

Wes Brown - Summer

Darren Bent - January

Of course, a lot depends on cost. Do we have the funds or not? We may do by the summer.

We should try an get Lauren or Neill definitely - and I think we have a chance to.

Essential though? Solano is playin well at right back so if we don't get them in jan I won't panic.

Left back is essential - and Baines looks good as does Bale.

I reckon it would be worth a punt on Bale.

But although I can't see it happenin I still think we may have an outsider shot on bridge.

Centre back - yes please in Jan.

Tbh i don't really rate distin or brown - they are good but I don't think they have the stability and leadership that our defence needs. Maybe Neill can play centre back as he did with Aus...

but i think we need a  more commanding centre back there with a bit of composure and distribution skills (i.e. not ramage or bramble). Can't name anyone off the top of my head that would be available.....Cannavaro??? :)

Lauren - £2/3m? Dunno his contract situation tbh. Won't be surprised if he leaves Arsenal at the end of the season. Eboue, Hoyte and even Gilbert who may been in Wenger's priority above Lauren. He's been plagued with a rotten ankle (don't quote me) injury for the entirety of 2006. But he's an experienced player, who is hard as nails and simply knows what to do. Would improve our defense massively.

Lucas Neill - £3/4m or £0. He's a T***, but he's a good full-back who needs a move desperately. Besides which, we need some nails in our defense, Babayaro's a half-hearted ponce, Carr is simply incompetent and Taylor/Ramage are inexperienced. Out of contract at Blackburn in the summer, i believe.

Sylvain Distin - £2/3m or £0. He's unlikely to be leaving in January, but i don't think we really need a centre-back in January anyway. I would have liked us to have got Pressley in for cover, but that boat's sailed. Distin is a competent, controlled and experienced defender - who already knows this club; he's a top professional. He'd not only improve the defense itself, but he'd bring on the young lads, plus he's versatile. Madness not to go for him if he's available on a free in the summer.

Wes Brown - £5m. Class centre-back when he gets a run in the side at United. If he's going to be available for this sort of rumoured price, it's simply a bargain - despite one or two injury troubles. Wasted at Man Utd, he's never going to properly become a regular in the side there, and if he was - he would have done by now. Doubt he is available, but if he is, it'd be great.

Leighton Baines - £7m. We never replaced Olivier Bernard. Not with Taylor or Ramage, not with Babayaro, and Huntington isn't a left-back. It's time that we knew what we were doing with our defense, and paying good money for this sort of quality is what needs to be done. Baiens is already a top quality wing-back, who is simply going to get better. We need to get this guy, he'll sort out our pitiful left-back situation 'once and for all'. It's, without a doubt, the weakest position in our squad, and i'll go mental if we don't sort it out with a proper signing in January or the summer.

Gareth Bale - £7m. Same theory as with Baines, but every man and his dog is after Bale, and he's more of a risk than Baines.

Darren Bent - £9m This guy has got undoubted quality, but i am umming and ahhing as to whether we actually need another class striker or not, i think we probably just need a stopgap*. I just hope that Bent goes in January, because i can see Pardew keeping Charlton up, and he might stay. But anyway, he'd work fantastically well with Martins in my opinion - because he's a natural goalscorer and Martins is more of a creater. IMO. I'd certainly prefer him to Crouch. We'd have a superb striking line-up if this guy was in our squad. Worth the money in terms of quality, but questionable as to whether we need him or not.

* Mark Viduka - £2m. The stopgap. This guy has got quality, no matter what people say, and he is incredibly skillful with his back to goal. However, i would want to bring Viduka on the cheap to play with Martins, and just score goals. Let that be his job, because he's too porky now to playmake - just put him in the box and give him the ball - he'll score, much like Shearer's role in the last two seasons.

Lassana Diarra - £4m. Doubt we'd get him, but he'd my ideal replacement for an ageing Butt come next season. Young and highly-rated and DMis his position. But Makelele's just warming his seat apparantely.

Giles Barnes - £4m. Major talent, who will end up leaving Derby. So versatile; can play across all of the midfield, and upfront/behind striker, a la Dyer and Sib. I just like him though, i don't think we especially need him. He proably wouldn't make it here - because there's so much competition for places, and there will be upfront next season. Wouldn't be disappointed to see us get him, like.

Preferences:

Lauren - Summer

Wes Brown - Summer

Darren Bent - January

Distin-I'll go with him because he has develop alot since he left us+he wont be too expensive+he can play at CD and LB ,Gareth Bale-I think Roeder will try to get him and not  Leighton Baines because he officialy said that he is interested in him

SWP-Roeder has said that he is interested if SWP is available

Nugent-for 3m i'll bring him here he is young and has the potencial

So far...

Distin-1-2m

Bale-6-7m

SWP-loan

Nugent-3m

12m

Friday's football gossip 

Liverpool will sell striker Peter Crouch to Newcastle for £12m, but insist they need a replacement first. (The Sun) Please Fat Fred don't spend that kind of money on a focking giraf this price is madness!!

Newcastle and Aston Villa are ready to lock horns in a £6m battle to sign Curtis Davies from West Brom. (Daily Star)

Tottenham and Newcastle are leading the chase for Derby's £3m wonderkid Giles Barnes. (The Sun)

Friday's football gossip 

Liverpool will sell striker Peter Crouch to Newcastle for £12m, but insist they need a replacement first. (The Sun) Please Fat Fred don't spend that kind of money on a focking giraf this price is madness!!

Newcastle and Aston Villa are ready to lock horns in a £6m battle to sign Curtis Davies from West Brom. (Daily Star)

Tottenham and Newcastle are leading the chase for Derby's £3m wonderkid Giles Barnes. (The Sun)

Agreed, £12m is a ridiculous price, so let's hope the MANAGER doesn't ask the club to sign him if this is the known price. FAT FRED, being the total bastard that he is, might just decide to do his job and back the judgement of his manager.

Friday's football gossip 

I'll take Curtis Davies for 6m :thup:

Friday's football gossip 

Agreed, £12m is a ridiculous price, so let's hope the MANAGER doesn't ask the club to sign him if this is the known price. FAT FRED, being the total bastard that he is, might just decide to do his job and back the judgement of his manager.

Some people are already winding up for a Board defence no matter what happens, which doesn't surprise me in the least.

We should try an get Lauren or Neill definitely - and I think we have a chance to.

Essential though? Solano is playin well at right back so if we don't get them in jan I won't panic.

Lauren - ?/3m? Dunno his contract situation tbh. Won't be surprised if he leaves Arsenal at the end of the season. Eboue, Hoyte and even Gilbert who may been in Wenger's priority above Lauren. He's been plagued with a rotten ankle (don't quote me) injury for the entirety of 2006. But he's an experienced player, who is hard as nails and simply knows what to do. Would improve our defense massively.

Preferences:

Lauren - Summer

Agreed. :thup:

Friday's football gossip 

Some people are already winding up for a Board defence no matter what happens, which doesn't surprise me in the least.

bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

The Board doesn't need any defence, after saying that though I've never defended the Board in my life, I just point out what they've done, that's all. It's not my problem that you're unable to understand reality. Their actions of consistently backing the manager to build his own team is there for all to see, and that is their job.

Here are some QUESTIONS for you, just so your position on the function of the Board is clear before January 1st arrives.

Do you believe the Board should get the blame when the manager makes poor footballing decisions? You know, because they appointed him, like.

If Roeder knows Crouch is going for £12m and asked the club to try to buy him, do you or do you not believe the Board should attempt to make that signing?  If the Board said "no, we're not paying £12m for him", what would you say? If the club put in a "derisory" offer of say £7m in an attempt to get the price down, what would you say? If they had an offer of £12m accepted and Crouch signs, what would you say?

Moving on.....

Do you believe it is easy to appoint the right manager?  If you do, please explain to me how the same Arsenal Board consistently got it wrong before finally getting it right by appointing Wenger? If you do, please also explain to me how the same Liverpool Board that appointed Benitez got it so badly wrong earlier that they appointed 2 managers at the same time?

Do you think the manager has responsibility for team affairs or don't you?