***The Quote-tastic thread***

Guest smoggeordie

Silvestre is crap. Responsible for alot of ManU's goals conceded last season. No coincidence that ManU are conceding less now he's out of the team. Note - conceded the penalty against Wigan on boxing day as well.

Distin would be the better option for the same job.

I think you've forgotten how average/crap Distin was for us.

I thought Distin was average for us, but he linked up well with Robert and was also often left exposed by him. I also think his reading of the game has improved alot since leaving us, and must be seen as a better and cheaper option than Silvestre who is really crap.

I thought Distin was average for us, but he linked up well with Robert and was also often left exposed by him. I also think his reading of the game has improved alot since leaving us, and must be seen as a better and cheaper option than Silvestre who is really crap.

Distin was a Boumsong prototype, he's older now and seems to have learned what he was weak at and improved.

Guest Knightrider

Distin wasn't that bad for us, you watch the DVDs and he was often involved down the left and linked up really well with Robert. He gave us pace and athletisicm at the back which we lacked at the time. Today he's a solid rounded individual and more than good enough for us, certainly with our budget and priorities we can't be turning our noses up at such a player?

Distin wasn't that bad for us, you watch the DVDs and he was often involved down the left and linked up really well with Robert. He gave us pace and athletisicm at the back which we lacked at the time. Today he's a solid rounded individual and more than good enough for us, certainly with our budget and priorities we can't be turning our noses up at such a player?

My problem with him was how long it took for him to react to situations, it was as if he had to think before acting rather than things coming natural to him, his pace pulled him out of the crap a few times.

Guest Knightrider

My problem with him was how long it took for him to react to situations, it was as if he had to think before acting rather than things coming natural to him, his pace pulled him out of the crap a few times.

Aye, I agree. But he was playing at LB mostly for us and since moving to City and operating at CB positionally and discipline wise he's much steadier these days. I think he's a decent enough player and I wouldn't say no to his arrival.

He's also a centre back. Does he ever play LB for Citeh?

Steve Bruce insists there has been no interest from Chelsea in Birmingham City defender Matthew Upson.

The centre-half's St Andrews future is uncertain as he is entering the final 18 months of his contract.

He has been linked with Aston Villa and Newcastle United after admitting a desire to return to the Premiership.

Reports have also suggested champions Chelsea could move for Upson in January due to concerns over the fitness of captain John Terry.

Bruce was quick to play down the speculation and the Birmingham boss has questioned the wisdom of selling his main defender.

"It's the silly season," Bruce told Sky Sports News. "It's the first I've heard about Chelsea to be perfectly honest.

"He's been linked with every club, but not one manager has rang me up. Sometimes it doesn't happen like that in football any more.

"All I would say to all our supporters, and to Matt himself, is we're now going very nicely indeed, so why do I want to sell my best player?

"Of course people are going to court him because he's got 18 months to go, but there's three or four months until the summer.

"If the situation is still the same, then I've got to protect the club and protect their investment, but I want to see Matthew Upson playing for us and take us where we want to be.

"I don't want him to go anywhere and it is going to take an absolutely crazy deal for me to even consider letting our best player go at the moment

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=438059&CPID=10&clid=41&lid=4&title=Bruce:+Why+would+I+sell+Upson?

Don't know why people still think he is going to go cheap, will cost a hell of a lot more than he is worth to sign him in January.

Distin is absolute crap, seen him make loads of errors while playing for City. Seems to have a knack of going to sleep during games.

He'd be no better than Boumsong in my opinion.

All that and you think Silvestre would be 'great'. Oh my :lol:

Why the F*** would Chelsea be after him?

Because this season Terry had alot of injuries and wheh he doesnt play they are weak at the back

I think if Chelsea are really after him no other club have the chance to get him :thdn:

Why the F*** would Chelsea be after him?

Because this season Terry had alot of injuries and wheh he doesnt play they are weak at the back

I think if Chelsea are really after him no other club have the chance to get him :thdn:

That didn't answer YG's question :lol:

Because may be Mourinho think he is as good as Terry :lol: :lol:

Upson is crap and a bottom 6 Prem team is his level. Seems a bit injury prone too.

When has Wenger ever let a young player go and they've proven to be class? Never.

It looked at one stage that it would bite him in the arse, but the Upson hype finally died down.

Cant actually believe its back tbh. His last game for England was a disgrace, his last season in the EPL woeful, and now in the Championship, 18months on his contract, 7 month injury, and people want to buy him, for actual money, not haribo sweets or argos vouchers, proper cash!

Upson is a quality player stuck at a shit club. And I find it very hard to praise anyone who plays there.

Someone on one of our boards was sat behind MON at St Andrews a few weeks ago and apparently he was scrawling notes on Upson (yes, probably bullshit, but is entirely feasible).

There's no way they'd sell him to us, though.

On the whole January transfer window thing, I think there are going to be an awful lot of disappointed clubs / fans - don't expect many big deals to be done.