***The Quote-tastic thread***

Guest smoggeordie

is it 3-3 ?

I realise the bigger picture is beyond you .....  :lol:

Aye because we really should have to score 4 goals to win a game  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't expect that one to register.

No, he can see the bigger picture. The one where we win games 5-4

I explained the shape of the team. Keep possession first. I'm not surprised you don't understand.

Oh right so our defence wasn't shit today and we dont need new defenders...

lets see now, we were possibly the better team until the first goal went in, then missed a penalty  .......

This sort of thing didn't happen when we had Shearer and Bellamy, still we have replaced them haven't we ?

So we didn't concede 4 goals because of the defence?

bluelaugh.gif

So you understand ( correctly, surprisingly ) that better fullbacks would give us a better attacking flow to our game which may result in us scoring more goals, yet you blame the conceding of goals purely on the defenders....

Good one, even for you, Jon.

Well did our full backs (left back especially) give us an attacking flow or did we get raped down the left side? So is this a problem with defence? Yeah I thought so. We can't defence set pieces, attacker problem tbh!

FFS Yes, we have problems in defence, we need better defenders, nobody has said we don't. But we need strikers more, we need to put more pressure on the opposition to stop THEM putting too much pressure on ours. It is EASIER to get someone to fill in at LB than it is to get someone to put the ball into their net. What is hard to understand about that? Teams that don't score goals end up getting relegated, scoring goals is the most difficult thing in the game.

just leave it alone, he'll never get it  :lol:

If we don't buy a forward and Martins gets injured then the board are wide open to criticism, they are the ones who splashed £17million on an injury prone Owen, they are the ones who splashed £8million on Boumsong, they are the ones who splashed £9.5million on Luque who currently rots in the reserves

And before the managers get the blame for this, they appointed the managers and they signed the cheques.

You reap what you sow.

aye, shame we didn't go and buy players from Oxford, Rotherham, Dundee United, Hibs, Wrexham etc etc from the proceeds of a 15-20,000 crowd just like the good old days. which is what you think is no different to nowadays  :lol: :lol: :lol:

If we don't buy a forward and Martins gets injured then the board are wide open to criticism, they are the ones who splashed £17million on an injury prone Owen, they are the ones who splashed £8million on Boumsong, they are the ones who splashed £9.5million on Luque who currently rots in the reserves

And before the managers get the blame for this, they appointed the managers and they signed the cheques.

You reap what you sow.

aye, shame we didn't go and buy players from Oxford, Rotherham, Dundee United, Hibs, Wrexham etc etc from the proceeds of a 15-20,000 crowd just like the good old days. which is what you think is no different to nowadays  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I nearly shit while reading your post, I turned towards the television and ET was on.  bluebiggrin.gif

You reap what you sow.

I nearly shit while reading your post, I turned towards the television and ET was on.  bluebiggrin.gif

You reap what you sow.

he won't get his own comments ?  :lol:

You reap what you sow.

You were of course correct. bluebiggrin.gif

So Mick was right.

We need a new striker but we should try to get someone like Viduka in because he will be cheap and it will possibly leave us with some money for a defender or 2. We shouldn't be going out and spending all of our budget on someone who will kick up a fuss as soon as they have to spend time on the bench.

We have an injury crisis that has already claimed two of our strikers for the rest of the season, your way of solving that is to buy an injury prone striker?

So Mick was right.

We need a new striker but we should try to get someone like Viduka in because he will be cheap and it will possibly leave us with some money for a defender or 2. We shouldn't be going out and spending all of our budget on someone who will kick up a fuss as soon as they have to spend time on the bench.

We have an injury crisis that has already claimed two of our strikers for the rest of the season, your way of solving that is to buy an injury prone striker?

I think he was more interested in the fact that he'd be cheap. In other words, just an example. And a fair one at that, though I'd rather we go elsewhere.

I agree with HTL, in how anyone can fill in at left back/right back but not many can fill in upfront.

E.g Solano is doing an OK job at right back.

I'd spend 4 million on a striker or so, and flog Luque for anything over 1 mill. Try and pick up a cheap left and right back, and a centre half.

Last week it was "Nigel Pearson is a defensive coach God!" this week we are shite

I agree with HTL, in how anyone can fill in at left back/right back but not many can fill in upfront.

Except no fucker in the squad can play well at left-back. Huntington's shown promise, but if that's his best position then i'm Ziggy Stardust.

It's OK spending threpence on a striker, because it isn't quite as vital a player. They're either going to work out or not and if they don't, it's not the end of the world - 11 men in the squad can score goals. However, when you spend nowt or very little on a defender, especially a wing-back, it's a much bigger gamble. If they don't work out - it's catastrophic because it's a so much more fragile position. I'm sick of us not identifying the main problem in the team - we don't spend on the defense often enough, yet the money is there.

Yes, we paid for Boumsong, but we should never have really - hindsight is a wonderful thing and we should never have paid £8m on a defender who wasn't good enough for Auxerre, yet was lightning in the Scottish league. It was senseless really. Especially when we could have had him for nowt in the summer. :roll:  Just shows you how shit Souness was at lots of things.

The only other defender we paid for was Woodgate - which was a brilliant signing, and his injuries weren't our fault. We were right to go for that sort of player - that was good initiative. Woodgate had top quality and he would sort out our defense. He did when he played but we/he was just unlucky. We were right to get rid at the time aswell.

And you look at the other defenders we've brought in. £1m on Baba. £2m on Carr. Nowt on Moore. £4m on Bramble. £0 on Bernard. Ramage, Huntington, etc - all cheap academy lads.

It's crap wheeling and dealing and poor management on the whole, from both Souness and Roeder, when you look at how SHIT our defense has been for the last ten years and beyond.

More Woodgate-type signings please! Identify quality... sign it.

Fucks sake. :roll:

Except no fucker in the squad can play well at left-back. Huntington's shown promise, but if that's his best position then i'm Ziggy Stardust.

It's OK spending threpence on a striker, because it isn't quite as vital a player. They're either going to work out or not and if they don't, it's not the end of the world - 11 men in the squad can score goals. However, when you spend nowt or very little on a defender, especially a wing-back, it's a much bigger gamble. If they don't work out - it's catastrophic because it's a so much more fragile position. I'm sick of us not identifying the main problem in the team - we don't spend on the defense often enough, yet the money is there.

Yes, we paid for Boumsong, but we should never have really - hindsight is a wonderful thing and we should never have paid £8m on a defender who wasn't good enough for Auxerre, yet was lightning in the Scottish league. It was senseless really. Especially when we could have had him for nowt in the summer. :roll:  Just shows you how shit Souness was at lots of things.

The only other defender we paid for was Woodgate - which was a brilliant signing, and his injuries weren't our fault. We were right to go for that sort of player - that was good initiative. Woodgate had top quality and he would sort out our defense. He did when he played but we/he was just unlucky. We were right to get rid at the time aswell.

And you look at the other defenders we've brought in. £1m on Baba. £2m on Carr. Nowt on Moore. £4m on Bramble. £0 on Bernard. Ramage, Huntington, etc - all cheap academy lads.

It's crap wheeling and dealing and poor management on the whole, from both Souness and Roeder, when you look at how SHIT our defense has been for the last ten years and beyond.

How old are you? 14 or something?

Boumsong made his name at Auxerre, and was class alongside Mexes, which earned both of them places in the France squad, he was nout special at Rangers.

If Oba is fucked, we are fucked, Charlton and Sheff U at home are examples of this. Obviously I want a decent defence, but I think you can spend less on a left back and get a makeshift one in untill the summer, whereas if Oba gets injured(and probably will)  we could be pulled back into the relegation dogfight.

We can't afford to buy "makeshift" left backs as they will probably be no better than the ones we've got already, we need defenders that will improve our defence not ones that make no difference whatsoever.

Boumsong made his name at Auxerre, and was class alongside Mexes, which earned both of them places in the France squad, he was nout special at Rangers.

If Oba is fucked, we are fucked, Charlton and Sheff U at home are examples of this. Obviously I want a decent defence, but I think you can spend less on a left back and get a makeshift one in untill the summer, whereas if Oba gets injured(and probably will)  we could be pulled back into the relegation dogfight.

We can't afford to buy "makeshift" left backs as the chances are they'll be no better than what we've got already, we need defenders that will improve our defence not ones that won't make a difference. On the Oba situation, yes your right it would be a massive blow to our team, however take Ronaldo from Man U and you've already seen the Chelsea's defence struggle without John Terry.

Big pro-sign defenders post.

If Oba is fucked, we are fucked, Charlton and Sheff U at home are examples of this. Obviously I want a decent defence, but I think you can spend less on a left back and get a makeshift one in untill the summer, whereas if Oba gets injured(and probably will) we could be pulled back into the relegation dogfight.

Mate, i never said we shouldn't buy a striker - because we should, definitely. I just don't want to see us spending loads on one. I said either in that big one or in a previous one, that i'd rather go for a cheap gamble like Beattie or Viduka, and concentrate our cash on the defense. Rather than an expensive gamble on a big-name striker that we wouldn't need anyway.

And btw, i'm 15. Why that should make a difference i don't really know - i can still use a keyboard and construct an opinion. Don't be so judgemental.

I was just being a cunt and not really reading your post tbh.

I'm not sure on our budget this transfer window, but I would like too see us sign someone who will get some goals, and someone who can defend. If I had the choice of one or the other it would be a striker. Having a good defence means nothing if you can't score goals, it would just be shite 0-0 games like against Charlton.

I'd take Viduka, but not Beattie, I think Moyes would want 4-5 mill for him, whereas he has done fuck all since he had that good 18 month at Southampton.

I'd even take someone like Vassell just till the end of the season. As long as we don't rely on Femi.

We can't afford to buy "makeshift" left backs as they will probably be no better than the ones we've got already, we need defenders that will improve our defence not ones that make no difference whatsoever.

We can't afford to buy "makeshift" left backs as the chances are they'll be no better than what we've got already, we need defenders that will improve our defence not ones that won't make a difference. On the Oba situation, yes your right it would be a massive blow to our team, however take Ronaldo from Man U and you've already seen the Chelsea's defence struggle without John Terry.

Without Ronaldo, Man U still have Saha, Rooney, Giggs, Scholes, Smith and they will have Larsson.

I see what you say about makeshift leftbacks but who the hell is going to sell a left back in January for cheap? Most people who sell a left back will have to replace him, so they demand alot of money. Not many people have good back up left backs like they do strikers and midfielders.

I was just being a c*** and not really reading your post tbh.

I'm not sure on our budget this transfer window, but I would like too see us sign someone who will get some goals, and someone who can defend. If I had the choice of one or the other it would be a striker. Having a good defence means nothing if you can't score goals, it would just be shite 0-0 games like against Charlton.

I'd take Viduka, but not Beattie, I think Moyes would want 4-5 mill for him, whereas he has done F*** all since he had that good 18 month at Southampton.

I'd even take someone like Vassell just till the end of the season. As long as we don't rely on Femi.

Apart from the bold bit, that's exactly what i'm thinking. Glad you read back throuh my post, thanks. :thup:

If i had the choice of:

A. £7m for Bent/Crouch and £2m for Melchiot

or

B. £7m for Baines and £2m for Viduka

... I'd take B. That's what i was saying, because i think the we're of a greater need of a quality defender than a quality striker.

I'd take Viduka, but not Beattie, I think Moyes would want 4-5 mill for him, whereas he has done F*** all since he had that good 18 month at Southampton.

Nailed it on the head :lol:

Nailed it on the head :lol:

No nonsense from me. Just when Yorkie-Geordie was talking about signing a Woodgate type player I thought he was meaning spend the full budget on one area. I don't know because I didn't read his post, and still haven't tbh.

Apart from the bold bit, that's exactly what i'm thinking. Glad you read back throuh my post, thanks. :thup:

If i had the choice of:

A. £7m for Bent/Crouch and £2m for Melchiot

or

B. £7m for Baines and £2m for Viduka

... I'd take B. That's what i was saying, because i think the we're of a greater need of a quality defender than a quality striker.

Is this the Melchiot you are talking?