***The Quote-tastic thread***

Guest smoggeordie

It's pointless arguing over what's more important. We need a striker and we need two defenders and if either area goes ignored we are totally buggered. The squad is at breaking point with 5 months of the season left and we're still in three competitions.

Where it comes to allocating the most money, I would put it into defence. Good strikers usually cost more than good defenders and it's going to be tough to bring in a quality striker when everyone knows there is a place waiting for Owen when he returns. Not only that but we have potentially two central defenders leaving in the summer as Moore and Bramble are in the last year of their contracts.

I don't see Freddy spending much on a left back. He has never paid much attention to the full back positions, we have one right back and one left back in our squad and they cost a combined total of £3m. Before them, our full backs were freebies (Hughes and Bernard) and Griffin cost a mighty £1.5m.

I do hope we invest in a proven top quality centre half to play alongside Taylor. Who we could attract I don't know. We could do with a powerful yet composed centre back like Jorge Andrade, someone capable of bringing the ball out of defence. I'm not a fan of this last-gasp Ramage defending where the ball gets punted straight back to the opposition, it's a habit we badly need to get out of (espescially given the lack of height in the team).

Good post apart from the daft bit in bold.

The manager chooses the players, not Fred. He tries to bring to the club the players the manager asks for. When Robson asked for Woodgate Fred went out and did the deal. When gullitt wanted to sign 3 defenders Fred went out and did the deal. When Dalglish wanted to lash out what was then a lot of money on a young Pistone, Fred went out and did the deal.

How many times do people have to be told this well known and bloody obvious business practice? If Roeder wants to sign defenders I'm sure Fred will back him up.

Didn't Robson ask for Miguel and we got Carr?

Bottomless pit of money obsession again. He also wanted Carr, and was given the money to buy Milner, Butt and pay the wages to Kluivert. Its called a budget. Macbeth and his monkey will explain the concept when he comes back as he surely will soon now the team has lost a couple of games, to tell you that we didn't even have the money for Carr never mind Miguel.

The shite board spent millions before and after that summer. Damned if they spend, damned if they don't, as usual.

Well thats a little different to how HTL described it isn't it? We were talking about the chairman not paying out for full backs but apparently its up to the manager to ask for the players he wants and then the chairman apparently goes out and gets them.

Do you need everything explained to you down to the smallest detail?

I'm certain everybody knows what I meant in that post. It's typical that as you have no answer that would form part of a constructive debate, you instead try to come across as a smartarse once again. Sad as fuck, tbh.

Usual tedious tripe from Howaythebore again. Totally dismissing the idea that Robson didnt want Carr or Butt yet HTBs favourite fat loverboy went out and bought them regardless.

Amusingly clueless and symptomatic of his childlike naivety. As per.

We were talking about how Shepherd wouldn't spend big on a full back, you said Shepherd would go out and get what the manager wants so its the manager fault and I gave an example of when the manager wanted Shepherd to go out and get a quality full back that cost quite a bit of money and we ended up with a £2m shite one.

So how am I wrong? You are the one who was trying to be a smart arse and put all the blame on the manager for not asking Shepherd to spend big on that position but as soon as I give an example the "we don't have a bottomless pit" line comes out. I understand we don't have endless money but the fact is Shepherd doesnt like to spend big on full backs.

Before the last transfer window Roeder said he wanted defenders, within days Shepherd said we wanted forwards.  That was before Owen became injured in the WC which did change things but the fact is that the manager highlighted the defence and the chairman highlighted the forwards.

We were talking about how Shepherd wouldn't spend big on a full back, you said Shepherd would go out and get what the manager wants so its the manager fault and I gave an example of when the manager wanted Shepherd to go out and get a quality full back that cost quite a bit of money and we ended up with a £2m shite one.

So how am I wrong? You are the one who was trying to be a smart arse and put all the blame on the manager for not asking Shepherd to spend big on that position but as soon as I give an example the "we don't have a bottomless pit" line comes out. I understand we don't have endless money but the fact is Shepherd doesnt like to spend big on full backs.

Jon you must realise that Superbore has an agenda and refuses to acknowledge any points that shoot down his laughable opinions.

I know its only the SPL but Anthony Stokes Is top goal scrorer there and the BBC website is reporting that Arsenal are going to sell him in January once he comes back from loan. I presume he would be cheap and is a young relativly proven striker, worth a look.

Jon you must realise that Superbore has an agenda and refuses to acknowledge any points that shoot down his laughable opinions.

I know but its just fun and hilarious with some of the stuff they come out with. Like "plenty of defenders" and having a midfielder as a priority over right and centre backs. Genius!

Before the last transfer window Roeder said he wanted defenders, within days Shepherd said we wanted forwards.  That was before Owen became injured in the WC which did change things but the fact is that the manager highlighted the defence and the chairman highlighted the forwards.

link ?

:confused:

Montella is a striker

That was directed to NE5 and his priorities.

I realise the complete post and the points it makes as a whole are beyond your capability to understand, which is why you ignored it

link ?

It was talked about on here plenty at the time so you find it for yourself.

Montella is a striker

I realise the complete post and the points it makes as a whole are beyond your capability to understand, which is why you ignored it

bluelaugh.gif

The Boy Blunder.

Absolutely clueless.

bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

link ?

It was talked about on here plenty at the time so you find it for yourself.

by the same people who said Ameobi for England, Boumsong is great, and Luque will rip defences apart  :lol:

Link ?

Montella is a striker

I commented on the bit that warranted a reply tbh. The rest was really tired shite about how its the manager who decided who we go for etc etc...

Montella is a striker

bluelaugh.gif

The Boy Blunder.

Absolutely clueless.

its a fairly simple matter to reply in full to a post in full.

As it happens, I don't recall ever reading anything remotedly informative from you  :lol:

link ?

I don't remember that, Roeder went on for ages about how 'attacking players' were the ones he was after, infact I think that was the exact phrase he used. He said something else about how he was happy with the defenders we had at the club. Is that Fred's fault, or is he to undermine the manager and say 'oi Glenn, we need a full back, heres one for you'?

link ?

I don't remember that, Roeder went on for ages about how 'attacking players' were the ones he was after, infact I think that was the exact phrase he used. He said something else about how he was happy with the defenders we had at the club. Is that Fred's fault, or is he to undermine the manager and say 'oi Glenn, we need a full back, heres one for you'?

thats what I remember too, but it isn't the first time thickmick has made something up

Montella is a striker

bluelaugh.gif

The Boy Blunder.

Absolutely clueless.

its a fairly simple matter to reply in full to a post in full.

As it happens, I don't recall ever reading anything remotedly informative from you  :lol:

Pot. Kettle. Goon.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest Brazilianbob

Sorry to butt in (no pun intended) but when Roeder said he wanted attacking players, perhaps he was talking about attacking full backs?