***Official Takeover Talk Thread***

Guest smoggeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How's it illegal for a 'source' at the club to tell a Journalist something in the hope they'll print it and drive the share price up hence getting more money for it. Stuff like that happens all the time. I really don't get how it's considered illegal. It's fucking worked aswell as share prices went up by 8% this morning after this article was published.

I wasn't using it in a negative context, it wasn't meant to be an attack on Freddy it was merely an outsider commenting on what he thought was going on.

The Daily Mail *spits* is usually fairly spot on with it's sports coverage so they've obviously got wind of something happening. The fact they've quoted exact figures aswell leads me to believe they've been told something which later turned out to be bollocks. It's not in the intrests of any of the consortiums to tell the press shite like that so that leads me to believe it was someone from the club.

It's massively illegal and it's called insider trading, you can get locked up for a long time if you get caught doing it.

Info leaked by the club to try and drive the share price up and get more cash out of the intrested parties. It's a case of when Fat Fred leaves rather than if, by the looks of it.

not something leaked by one of the buying parties to try and put an under pressure board under more pressure.

"oh my a piece of nufc news,how can i look at this in a negative way with absolutly no evidence"

bet you thought the rooney bid was a lie eh?

Not looking at it in a negative way, i'm using common sense. Something which you lack, fuckwit.

problem with common sense is it's not very common yet everyone thinks they have it.

thanx for the name calling hurt me soooo much and wasn't witty.

Never attempted to be witty, just honest.

Don't know what you expected. You jumped on a completely innocent comment by me and read it completely out of context. I really can't see how what I said was negative, you care to explain?

how's it a completly innocent comment.you suggest they are acting illegally(put that in print and they could sue),like many on here you appear to look for the negative.in what context did you mean it?

How's it illegal for a 'source' at the club to tell a Journalist something in the hope they'll print it and drive the share price up hence getting more money for it. Stuff like that happens all the time. I really don't get how it's considered illegal. It's f***ing worked aswell as share prices went up by 8% this morning after this article was published.

I wasn't using it in a negative context, it wasn't meant to be an attack on Freddy it was merely an outsider commenting on what he thought was going on.

The Daily Mail *spits* is usually fairly spot on with it's sports coverage so they've obviously got wind of something happening. The fact they've quoted exact figures aswell leads me to believe they've been told something which later turned out to be bollocks. It's not in the intrests of any of the consortiums to tell the press shite like that so that leads me to believe it was someone from the club.

Like their 5 page Becks to Toon story conplete with comments how we need a new hero etc?

Just as (in)accurate as the rest of em

Guest smoggeordie

Football focus have just announced that a takeover meeting has been scheduled for Tuesday and we will know what is happening shortly after that.

normally i don't listen to a word what the useless twat says, but they've just been talking about Newcastle's injury list and at the end of the piece mentioned something about the takeover. Lawrenson said that there a major meeting on Tuesday where they'll have to declare any outside interest or takeover news. anyone know what the lanky streak of piss is on about? what meeting would that be?

Guest smoggeordie

Football focus have just announced that a takeover meeting has been scheduled for Tuesday and we will know what is happening shortly after that.

Isn't that the AGM they were talking about?

Oh aye, that'll be it ;)

Newcastle's prospective new owners are being advised by the same City whizzkid who pointed Roman Abramovich in the direction of Chelsea.

Polygon, the giant American hedge fund who have made a £227million proposal for Newcastle that is understood to have the approval of the board, have the United Bank of Switzerland as consultants in this latest foreign bid for a Premiership club.

And the UBS financial expert plotting the St James’ Park takeover is 33-year-old Jason Katz, who heads the investment bank’s hotel, travel and leisure sector and was the youngest managing director appointed by them when he clinched the job three years ago.

The South African briefed Abramovich on the opportunities and risks of a major investment in football plus the clubs available, one of which was Chelsea.

Katz then set up an introduction with Trevor Birch, Chelsea’s then chief executive.

The written proposal offering Newcastle shareholders 93p per share was made by Polygon on November 20 and the club’s directors had a meeting with the hedge fund on November 27, at which their offer was accepted pending the period of due diligence.

The crucial day in the takeover looks like being the annual meeting on Tuesday when directors will come under considerable pressure to reveal the real takeover details following three changes of position yesterday in their varied denials.

What is the fat one obliged to say at the AGM. Couldn't he just fob them off with a re-hash of the statement released yesterday?

Or is he bound by some rule that he has to disclose exactly what is going on if he's questioned by shareholders?

Guest Christian Hayne

important news regarding takeover

http://today.reuters.co.uk/stocks/quote.aspx?symbol=NCU.L

shares upto 79p, they are up by 4.64%

also an article posted by this website. suggesting they have a source and saying that UBS and Polygon are mulling over making an offer.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?view=CN&symbol=NCU.L&storyID=45080+17-Dec-2006+RTRS;&type=qcna

important news regarding takeover

http://today.reuters.co.uk/stocks/quote.aspx?symbol=NCU.L

shares upto 79p, they are up by 4.64%

also an article posted by this website. suggesting they have a source and saying that UBS and Polygon are mulling over making an offer.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?view=CN&symbol=NCU.L&storyID=45080+17-Dec-2006+RTRS;&type=qcna

Shares are actually down from Friday when they were over 80p if I recall correctly. Share prices are irrelevent on this anyway, as it is all just speculation from traders in the shares market.

As for the article, they may just be reporting what was said in the Mail on Friday, although I'm not 100% sure on that one.

does this reuters website report straight from the stock exchange

I actually had work experience in their finance news department.

They process all the information in all the major international stock markets, and if there has been a sharp shift in share prices (ie not looking short-term) they will release a story that explains the change in share price. Looks like that is what is happenning today.

Claims could rock Toon bid

By Neil Farrington and Sarah Robertson, The Sunday Sun

The Sunday Sun today sheds light on the would-be buyers of Newcastle United and the multi-million-pound collapse of a series of internet companies.

Belgravia Group Ltd, a Jersey company, is expected to launch a £150m-plus bid for the Premiership side in the new year.

We have uncovered documents which show that Belgravia's sister company, based in Gibraltar, was the majority shareholder of Unofon Group Ltd, whose failure sent shockwaves through Norway.

Dubbed the Unofon Scandal by newspapers there, it resulted in . . .

• Scores of workers being left unpaid despite a court order they receive their wages

• 135,000 disappointed customers

• A probe into why millions of pounds from the coffers of the doomed companies ended up in Jersey bank accounts

• And the near collapse of the Unofon-sponsored Norwegian Speed Skating federation.

A team of lawyers appointed by the Norway government is carrying out an investigation into the matter.

We have a document that says Belgravia Group Ltd, Gibraltar, owned 57.5 per cent of shares in Unofon.

The Belgravia Group, of Jersey, has launched the bid for Newcastle United. It is wholly owned by Eagle Holdings Ltd, of the Cayman Islands, which also owns 85pc of the shares in the Gibraltar company.

Duncan Hickman is a director of this company and Ron Mitchell a shareholder. They are fronting Belgravia Group Jersey's Newcastle United bid.

When a month ago we first approached Belgravia Group Ltd for comment about the Unofon scandal, its lawyer, Clive Sutton, told us: "Belgravia Group Limited had not been a shareholder of Unofon Group Limited at any time."

The company's spokesman, John West, said: "Belgravia also confirms that it had talks with Unofon and reached an agreement, subject to due diligence, to buy a significant stake in the business.

"During its due diligence on Unofon, Belgravia discovered a number of issues of concern, which resulted in them immediately withdrawing from the agreement.

"From our point of view, I think some people have spotted that we are a Jersey- registered company and Unofon is a Jersey-registered company and put two and two together and come up with five."

Mr Sutton then sent us what he claimed was Unofon's annual company return for 2005, which he stated was "conclusive in support of the same point".

It said that Unofon was wholly owned by Baim Ltd, but the document we received from the Jersey companies registry was marked "amended copy".

And the registry only received that document on November 22, 2006 . . . coincidentally the very day we asked Mr Sutton for documents to back his claims.

After further investigation, we were sent the Unofon Group's original annual return for 2005, received by the Jersey authorities on February 28, 2005.

It states that Belgravia Group Gibraltar owned a 57.5 per cent stake in the Unofon Group. When we spoke to Mr West on Friday he said: "You would have to ask Clive (Sutton) about that because I don't know what documents he hasn't sent to you."

When reminded that he himself had denied on the record that Belgravia Group Ltd were ever shareholders in Unofon, Mr West replied: "I've got nothing further to comment on this. What I said was what I have been advised by my clients."

After being presented with the document, Mr Sutton said: "What appears to have happened with regard to the original Unofon Annual Return received by the Financial Services Authority on the 28th of February 2005 is that the return was lodged on the assumption that the proposal would come to fruition when in fact, as I have informed you, it did not."

He also stated " . . . any previous version of that annual return stating otherwise was erroneous."

All versions of the annual returns for Unofon were signed by Toni Stevenson. A separate document reveals Toni Stevenson was secretary for Belgravia Group Jersey on February 26, 2006.

When asked about both companies sharing the same secretary, Mr Sutton at first refused to comment, then added: "The secretary is not available at the moment. She's away on a long-term holiday on the other side of the world."

According to media reports Belgravia Group Jersey is not the only company vying for control of Newcastle United, whose chairman in Freddy Shepherd. The club's board last week denied it had accepted a £227m offer from US financiers Polygon and the United Bank of Switzerland.

Newcastle United plc's annual meeting is in London on Tuesday.