Traveling to Newcastle for the first time.

oldtype

About Newcastle, UK - England

Located along England's North Coast between Yorkshire and Scotland, Newcastle upon Tyne is fast becoming one of Britain's most appealing destinations. The proud locals are called "Geordies" (the most famous of whom is Sting), and the favorite local beverage is the beloved Newcastle Brown Ale. A former industrial town and shipbuilding center, Newcastle was the victim of urban blight until a revitalization program in the last two decades brightened up the city both physically and culturally. The impressive Metro Centre at Gateshead is the largest indoor shopping complex in the world. The charming city center and rejuvenated Quayside feature a bustling mix of cafés, trendy shops, and restaurants. Historical sites include the daunting medieval castle, for which the city is named, and the fourteenth century cathedral with its regal tower.

:hmm:

Korean restuarant on Cross Street according to this site: http://www.newcastlechinatown.co.uk/html/index.htm

Take a look oldtype. :thup:

Thanks mate. And everyone else too for all the kind advice.

Having lived in the US for far a while now because of college, I can probably get by with western food.

Although admittedly, I did find fish and chips to be pretty horrendous last time I was in the uk  bluebiggrin.gif

The impressive Metro Centre at Gateshead is the largest indoor shopping complex in the world.

Never knew that  blueeek.gif

I dispute that. Might have been when it was built but it isn't now.

Can someone answer my question please? :lol:

A budget hotel (Travellodge, Travel Inn etc...) all work out at about £45 per night....

Obvioulsy if you wanted cheaper then you could probably find a B&B for £20 per night or so.

£20 per night for 1 person or 1 room?

The impressive Metro Centre at Gateshead is the largest indoor shopping complex in the world.

it was taken over by bluewater shopping centre as the biggest, but has been extended and is now the biggest again

http://www.expressbyholidayinn.newcastle.ichotelsgroup.com/

it was taken over by bluewater shopping centre as the biggest, but has been extended and is now the biggest again

Wikipedia says its Europe, not the world.

One in Bejing is the Largest, apparently...

Wikipedia says its Europe, not the world.

One in Bejing is the Largest, apparently...

aye it says MetroCentre is biggest in Europe

A budget hotel (Travellodge, Travel Inn etc...) all work out at about £45 per night....

Obvioulsy if you wanted cheaper then you could probably find a B&B for £20 per night or so.

it will be about 50 pound per room (for 2 people) per night

thanks alot mate :thup:

and what about the food?

is it very expensive?

and what about the food?

is it very expensive?

Depends where you go, there's plenty of great places to eat on a budget, infact they are often better than the expensive places.

Loads of great resturants (as I said before we are the Italian resturant capital of the UK)

and what about the food?

is it very expensive?

Go to Greggs. You'll love it.  blueyes.gif

Korean restuarant on Cross Street according to this site: http://www.newcastlechinatown.co.uk/html/index.htm

Take a look oldtype. :thup:

This closed a while back. It's a Japanese now.

The Metro Centre is the biggest in Europe.

Get yourself out to hadrians wall, to the northumbrian coast or durham too.

Rough Guides has a canny section on the notheast and if you scroll down a decent bit on newcastle and durham too

This is worth a shot too - guardian been there site

and what about the food?

is it very expensive?

Depends where you go, there's plenty of great places to eat on a budget, infact they are often better than the expensive places.

Loads of great resturants (as I said before we are the Italian resturant capital of the UK)

will be about £20-30 for a good meal for two people

£10 each for all you can eat Chinese

I wouldnt be worried about the 93.1% white thing.

In the city centre (which I presume is where you'll always be) almost everwhere you look there will be people from every race.

For everyone else re the Metro Centre thing, anyone else notice how the media always dismiss the Metro Centre and call Bluewater the biggest shopping centre in Europe??......"no those little northeasterners, how could they ever have the biggest shopping centre in Europe"  :roll:

For everyone else re the Metro Centre thing, anyone else notice how the media always dismiss the Metro Centre and call Bluewater the biggest shopping centre in Europe??......"no those little northeasterners, how could they ever have the biggest shopping centre in Europe"  :roll:

yeah they did it on some programme on bbc or some shite the other day. i hate cockneys/bbc types who know nowt about the real north, none of this manchester is in the north shite

So I'm a a Korean fan (there are lots of us btw :thup: ), and me and a mate will be finally making our first trip to Newcastle over spring break this year, with a view to staying in the city for a couple of days and catching the Man City game.

While I don't believe in the slightest the media drivel about racism in the area, I do admit that it's mildly intimidating as an Asian to be traveling into a city that is, as far as Wikipedia can tell me, 93.1% white.

So what I'm wondering is, what sort of a reaction do you think the average fan would have to an Asian being in the stands at St James' Park singing along at the top of his lungs with a heavy American accent? Can I count on some bemused glances being thrown my way?

Oh and any travel tips would be appreciated as well. :winking:

You may get the odd innocent look for your american accent and at worst some idiot may make an ignorant comment.  Doubt even that though, you'll be fine.

where pilgrim street was - i was standing in grainger street - and they couldnt tell me

another time i was walkin past the gate and asked another to tell me where newcastle arms was. couldnt tell me.

I couldnt help you with either of those  :lol:

Guest swanstoon

I hate to burst the feelgood bubble but having travelled to Newcastle twice now for matches, I would offer a couple of words of warning.

The locals are not as friendly as they claim. I stopped several to ask for directions and was either ignored or they had no time for me. Finally a Scot who was just visiting helped me out. Trying to talk to anyone at the pub or at the match seemed to be a non starter. The friendliest guy was at the club shop and he was from Dublin. I think a big part of it may be my Canadian accent which the locals took for American. I have travelled quite a bit in my life and always make an effort to talk to the locals and I find Newcastle was as unfriendly as London.

As far as racism goes, I was shocked at how openly and aggressively racist people were. At the Citeh match last year the nutter beside me started calling out racist comments every time Sun Jihai touched the ball!?!

Oh and btw, steer clear of the packs of Chavs that you will no doubt see - they are pretty aggressive.

I think you will have a great time - just keep your guard up like travelling anywhere else.

Hiya & Greetings from Australia! I guess we all have different experiences,but all mine on Tyneside have been positive.The locals have literally gone out of their way to help with directions,spectators at St James' have answered 'dumb' questions & assisted in taking photos of me at the ground & i've never felt in danger.It's probably commonsense as to where you go & when.

As far as accomodation is concerned,i stayed at The Bewick Hotel in Gateshead last February for 66 pounds for 2 nights incl.a massive breakfast & you'll travel across any number of the Tyne bridges!!

Newcastle is one of my fave cities so enjoy your stay! 

Guest toon tone rudeboy

Probably dislike you for being American rather than Asian.

But can't see a problem being honest.

I went with my girlfriend to meet her family in the UK over the summer and took the opportunity to finally see NUFC play in the intertoto against Lillestrom.  I had no problem as an American anywhere in the city.  Everyone was friendly around the town.  Inside the ground, I was chanting as loud as anyone else (in my American accent) and got into a great conversation with the person behind me about the merits of Ameobi and Luque...  Overall, the trip to Newcastle was the highlight of the six weeks I was in England. 

Why would anyone have issues with Americans in Newcastle anyways?

Reading this thread makes me put my plans to visit Newcastle one day a bit forward...It's a shame though I won't be able to see Alan Shearer wearing his kit and playing in front of 52000 diehard fans...