Traveling to Newcastle for the first time.

oldtype

would anyone have issues with Americans in Newcastle anyways?

Newcastle doesn't have any more issues with Americans than anywhere else in the UK.

A lot of people are critical of US Foreign Policy, but thats the US Government, not the people.

Americans will be and have been treated fine in Newcastle.

As long as you don't come across all arrogant, loud-mouthed and big-headed. If you are, you'll likely be put in your place, but that's true of anyone from anywhere.

Otherwise, people will, on the whole be friendly towards you.

Guest Marauder1905

I for one, also want to come to Newcastle ( from Turkey).

How much would a match ticket cost me? I know there are several kinds of tickets...but what would be the range in....say.. ManU, L'pool, Chelsea etc.  kind of games?

Guest londonmaglad

Hi,

You'll have a great time.

Possible negative points:

You may hear the odd racist comment - I do at games - but I'd be very very very VERY surprised if any are directed toward you. It's usually stupid ignorant thick people who make the odd comment about the people on the pitch that I hear. Especially if NUFC are losing. It's basically just ignorance to be honest - for example I heard Lee Y.P. of Spurs being called a 'chinky' - racist for chinese - they think all Asians are chinese... but as you've heard a million times on here they are in the minority and generally as in any other city if you keep out of trouble and don't be naive you'll be fine. As has been said if you walk around with an expensive camera taking pics all day then you're possibly asking for trouble.

In general Newcaslt has come on leaps and bounds in recent years. There is a thriving chinatown, and a lot more 'minorities' than in previous decades.

Regarding pre/ post match drinks - I see a lot of tourists going to The Strawberry (http://www.pubsnewcastle.co.uk/Strawberry.html) - it's right near the ground - and I've never seen any trouble. Whereas some pubs don't allow away fans for example - The Strawberry does - it's very easy going but does get very busy. It's my local before and after a game and in general people are usually pretty friendly. and it's got a good range of beers.

I live in London and go up for games and I'd say - in general - people are friendlier than London. Of course it only takes one bad experience to sour your feel for a place - but you should be fine.

Feel free to PM me etc - I live in London, know Newcastle, and have been to Seoul so hoepfully I should be able to help. Plus I'll hopefully be up in Newcastle for the Man City game - and probably in the Strawberry before the game - so we could meet for a pint.

Get in touch if you need any help.

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting this old thread just to mention that I am now on my way to the airport.

Will be in London and Liverpool (the mate traveling with me is a Liverpool fan >:( ) before arriving in Newcastle this friday, catching the Man City match and staying till sunday morning.

It's too bad that we don't have anything to play for, but I'm still looking forward to it.

Thanks to everyone who offered their advice and support. Maybe I'll see a few of you at the ground.

Resurrecting this old thread just to mention that I am now on my way to the airport.

Will be in London and Liverpool (the mate traveling with me is a Liverpool fan >:( ) before arriving in Newcastle this friday, catching the Man City match and staying till sunday morning.

It's too bad that we don't have anything to play for, but I'm still looking forward to it.

Thanks to everyone who offered their advice and support. Maybe I'll see a few of you at the ground.

do you know where to go for a drink on friday night ?

where to go pre-match saturday ?

do you know how to avoid the clutches of a fat lass from annitsford when you've had 10 too many ?

there is a load you still need to know

Newcastle is by far the best town in England, in any ways if you ask me.

I've only been there twice though. Once with my graduationclass, where we had a blast going to all the fantastic clubs and shopping oppertunities.

We even went to The Strawberry to watch Vålerenga-Newcastle. Typical really. First time in Newcastle, and Newcastle United deciedes to travel to my country and play...Even though, it was fun as hell, being a Norwegian Newcastlesupporter watching Newcastle play in Norway at The Strawberry.

The second time I went with my dad for the 3-0 match against WBA last season. He's been a Newcastlesupporter since the first time he visited the city when he was sailing at the age of 16 (now 50 btw). We had a canny time, and got to say goodbye to Shearer as well. Only downside was on the night, after visiting different pubs, we went to a bar right next to our hotel (right next to some shoppingcentre(?). Can't remember the name). We were pretty drunk, and didn't notice what kind of bar it was, untill some guy came up to us, and started to flirt with us. :) Chunked our beer and ran to the hotel as fast as we could.

would anyone have issues with Americans in Newcastle anyways?

So long as they aren't like the guy behind me earlier in the season. Spent the whole game making crow noises shouting 'woooooooooo go Team Magpies!', and asking questions like 'hey is that the first throw in of the game?' in the 93rd minute etc. He was the ultimate stereotype, and incredibly annoying.

Anyone else is welcome. ;)

Guest leigh288

My Brother is also going to Newcastle for the first time this weekend to watch them play, but his hasn’t gone to a football match ever in his life. (and isnt a football fan.)

Any tips for the absolute newbie to going to his first football match.

My Brother is also going to Newcastle for the first time this weekend to watch them play, but his hasn’t gone to a football match ever in his life. (and isnt a football fan.)

Any tips for the absolute newbie to going to his first football match.

get drunk, learn some songs, enjoy

have a great time and enjoy the match and our fine city.

You'll love it.  I've always had a soft spot for Newcastle because my big sis lives there but i'd never been to SJP until last year.  I have to say i'm hooked and i've travelled down from Dundee to about 6 or 7 games this season.  It's my favourite city (better than NYC imo).  The people know how to have a laugh, take the p!ss out of eachother and generally don't take themselves too seriously.

For pre/post-match drinks I usually go to Rosie's and/or The Strawberry but remember you can also get a pint inside the ground (all very civilised).  I have a season ticket for a Scottish club but unfortunately we'll never be allowed to drink in the ground because of "those two"  :rant:

A few of us are travelling to Newcastle for the mancity game and we dont care about cathedrals or trendy shops - we want to know where the best pubs are for pre/post match madness! Anyone got any good tips? Cheers,

see you soon

the thing with newcastle is the ground is right in the city centre. There are hundreds of pubs within a 10 minute walk (15 mins if your in level 7) and all the pubs are busy on a match day. Best thing to do is just have a wander around, you cant really get lost and you will struggle to find a really bad bar (suppose it depends what your lookin for) if you stay within the centre.

Arrived in Newcastle today. Took a tour of the ground. I can die happy now.  :'(

See you at the match.

PS. Me at the Liverpool club museum two days ago

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/7824/img1475gy6.jpg