New January Transfer Window Thread

Guest nufc 4 life

<Gazes into crystal ball>

The two loanees will be Jay Lloyd Samuel and Paletta from Liverpool.

Worryingly, I could see both of them happening. Although if Roeder didn't want Campbell because he hasn't played enough games in the last 2 years, Samuel has played even less. Paletta is young and was useless against Arsenal...

Guest nufc 4 life

we need to look to the championship IMHO if we are being priced out of the market surely this is the place to go they have experience of the english league and thereare some very good young players WTF happened to our interest in Giles Barnes???, but can't say much becuase Glenn is not very likely too come on here every day now is he?

IF YOU ARE THERE GR PLEASE LOOK TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP or take some fookin gambles i.e Rocha going to Spurs for 3m you can't sat that's out of our price range surely

In his interview in the mag roeder quite clearly says he will definitely bring in 2 loanees no matter whether there are permanent signings or not.

Now surely if we were interested in a lad from Arsenal we can ring them before jan 1st and enquire whether they will let us have one of their youngsters.Surely we knew the answer before the transfer window opened.

Also with 8 days to go what other names are suddenly going to appear.

Exactly, if we were going to make loan deals why weren't they lined up and brought in on New Years Day (a la Henrik Larsson). Of course that would require foresight and intelligent planning.

Maybe the club has been trying to make permanent signings of a couple of quality players (we have signed quality players before). Maybe the club has been trying to persuade a club that doesn't want to part with one of their important players to do so mid-season? Maybe that plan hasn't come off, a club doesn't manage to sign every player they target, especially in January. Maybe the selling club are over-pricing their players due to it being mid-season and our known injury problems? Maybe going for loan players is plan B rather than make permanent signings the manager doesn't want?

Maybe.. maybe.. maybe.. but to most people clearly possible and in fact, very, very likely.

For those who think we never sign quality players, or even just sign players, I suggest you all go to nufc.com and take a look at the list of players brought in and the money that's gone out doing just that in recent times.

Guest Brazilianbob

When Roeder says we have two loan signings available he means allowable under the EPL rules, which to me, means he doesn't yet have anyone who has agreed to join.  He has already said that at least one of the players he wanted on loan from Arsenal will not be coming, so we are onto second choice loanees now.

I also believe that it is not a case of NUFC not being organized enough to pre-arrange these transfers, rather it is a case of no one wants to come to SJP.

how about alan smith - is he not fit, but not in the manure squad these days?

i always liked him (well, as a footballer that is...), and he has the never-say-die attitude that we could need a bit of....

<Gazes into crystal ball>

The two loanees will be Jay Lloyd Samuel and Paletta from Liverpool.

Niiiiiiiiice..........I can also good old local boy Robbie 'he's never let United down' Elliott coming in to, as he can play left back and centre half.

I love the transfer window me.

we need to look to the championship IMHO if we are being priced out of the market surely this is the place to go they have experience of the english league and thereare some very good young players WTF happened to our interest in Giles Barnes???, but can't say much becuase Glenn is not very likely too come on here every day now is he?

IF YOU ARE THERE GR PLEASE LOOK TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP or take some fookin gambles i.e Rocha going to Spurs for 3m you can't sat that's out of our price range surely

Quality just isn't there in the Championship and prices are going sky high there as well, for instance Preston rejected £6m for Nugent. Also why would we sign Giles Barnes in this window when we have 2 right wingers already.

When Roeder says we have two loan signings available he means allowable under the EPL rules, which to me, means he doesn't yet have anyone who has agreed to join.  He has already said that at least one of the players he wanted on loan from Arsenal will not be coming, so we are onto second choice loanees now.

I also believe that it is not a case of NUFC not being organized enough to pre-arrange these transfers, rather it is a case of no one wants to come to SJP.

Well would you want to play for Gormless Glen ?

Quality just isn't there in the Championship and prices are going sky high there as well, for instance Preston rejected £6m for Nugent. Also why would we sign Giles Barnes in this window when we have 2 right wingers already.

Barnes can play in most attacking positions and classes himself as a forward, I think he could probably work well behind Martins and when Owen comes back could slot into midfield therefore we wouldnt have an expensive striker gathering dust on the bench.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article2183792.ece

Gunners ready to snare Babel, 'the new Henry'

By Jason Burt

Published: 25 January 2007

Arsenal are expected to sign Ajax's Ryan Babel, the hottest young talent in Dutch football, after apparently beating off interest from both Newcastle United and Portsmouth.

However, a deal for the 20-year-old, who will cost between £7m and £10m, will not be finalised until the summer. Sources in the Netherlands claim that Babel has set his heart on joining Arsenal, whose interest in the forward was revealed by The Independent earlier this month, although he is under pressure to sign a new deal at Ajax.

Babel's friendship with the Arsenal forward Robin van Persie has helped persuade him to move to the Emirates Stadium. He is predominantly a left winger but can play as a central striker or on the right and already has eight Netherlands caps. He was also part of last summer's World Cup squad.

Babel's contract at Ajax runs until next year. Negotiations have taken place to extend that but Babel is apparently insisting that a minimum-fee release clause is inserted which will allow him to move to Arsenal before the start of next season. Ajax are opposed to the idea and are keen to tie down their brightest prospect.

Babel made his debut for the Netherlands in March 2005, coming on as a first-half substitute in Romania for Chelsea's Arjen Robben and scoring in a 2-0 win. This made him the fourth-youngest goalscorer in the history of the Dutch national team, while the coach, Marco van Basten, was prompted to claim that Babel, who is very quick, "has all the potential to be the next Thierry Henry".

Newcastle, who are believed to have lodged an informal bid of around £5m, and Portsmouth have made contact with Ajax, hoping to secure a deal in the January transfer window. But it is understood the player only wants to move to Arsenal, where he is regarded as a replacement for Fredrik Ljungberg.

The Swede, who was the subject of an inquiry by West Ham United earlier this month following his limited first-team opportunities this season, is expected to leave in the summer. He has fallen down the pecking order since the arrival at the club of Tomas Rosicky and Alexander Hleb.

Babel, who was born in Amsterdam and made his Ajax debut three years ago, recently said that he was fully committed to the club but also admitted that he was "impressed" by Arsenal and Barcelona, and would like to eventually move abroad. "Like every other player I have my dreams," he said.

With his adaptability - as well as his ability and pace - Babel fits the mould of the type of player Arsène Wenger is looking to add to his squad. The Arsenal manager, who insists he will not be making any signings this month, also appears committed to reducing the average age of his team, which is partly why Ljungberg, who is 30 in April, is understood to be surplus to requirements. The midfielder is expected to move to Italy but will also continue to attract interest from the Premiership.

Having apparently missed out on Babel, Portsmouth are believed to have turned to other targets and have reopened talks with Udinese over the Ghanaian winger Sulley Muntari, who was wanted by the club's manager, Harry Redknapp, after the World Cup.

Muntari has fallen out of favour at the Serie A club, having been sent off three times this season, but Portsmouth will not pay the transfer fee of £10.5m which is being demanded for the 22-year-old and insist that they will go no higher than £8m.

That would, nevertheless, be a club record but no deal will be done until Udinese drop their asking price. Portsmouth are believed to be prepared to allow the on-loan winger Rodolph Douala to leave the club.

Guest NSMagpie

It seems the question in this transfer window is whether we are going to sign anyone apart from our mysterious defender who is allegedly about to join.  ::)

Interesting quotes from Baros today. Saying he'd agreed to join Chelsea but it didn't go through because SWP didn't want to go the other way, it fell through. He also said that Mourinho asked him in the tunnel of a recent Chelsea v Vill amatch if he'd sign. You think the FA might investigate this for more tapping-up?

i'm not too impressed with babel (or emmanuelson for that matter). ajax have a decent side, but they tend to demand too high prices for their players.

their players are typically very gifted, but are more suited for dutch football, and i am certain that babel and emmanuelson will have a hell of a time adapting to the epl...

Guest nufc 4 life

The US defender Gooch looks like he is going to join us and he fits the bill perfectly TBH here is some of his stats

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oguchi_Onyewu

Oguchialu Chilioke "Oguchi" Onyewu (born May 13, 1982 in Washington, D.C.) is an American soccer defender that currently plays for Standard Liège.

Onyewu's parents moved to the United States from Nigeria to attend Howard University in Washington, D.C. Onyewu has two brothers, Uche and Nonye, and two sisters, Chi-Chi and Ogechi. Growing up in Silver Spring and later Olney, Maryland, Onyewu attended Sherwood High School where he played soccer for two years. [1] He then enrolled in the U.S. residency program in Bradenton, Florida, before returning to Sherwood to graduate.

Onyewu then played two years of college soccer at Clemson University, and moved to Europe in 2002, signing with FC Metz of France's Ligue 1. In 2003, he was loaned out to La Louvière in Belgium, and to Standard Liège a year later. The move to Liège was made permanent for the 2004-05 season.

Onyewu, often referred to by the nickname "Gooch," is, at 6 ft 4[1] in (1.93 m) and 210 pounds (95 kg), believed to be the tallest field player in US team history, though two goalkeepers were taller, according to U.S. Soccer. [2]

Onyewu has been part of various U.S. youth teams, and played at the 2001 World Youth Championship. He made his first appearance for the senior national team on October 13, 2004 against Panama.

"Gooch" is remembered for losing his mark and allowing a goal to Jared Borgetti of Mexico in Azteca Stadium on March 27, 2005, only to redeem himself by dominating Borgetti in a rematch between the teams on September 3, 2005 in Columbus, Ohio. Onyewu scored his first international goal in dramatic fashion, nodding home the extra time winner in the semifinal of the 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup against Honduras. The powerful six-foot-four defender was later named to the tournament Best XI. He has also been named to the Belgian league Best XI twice and was named Foreign Player of the Year in 2005.

Oguchi played for the USA in the FIFA World Cup 2006 held in Germany, and started in all three of the USA's games. Just before halftime of the third and final match of group play, with the USA tied 1-1 against Ghana, Onyewu was called for a foul in the penalty area, though replays appeared to confirm Onyewu's protests that he had not fouled. Ghana took the lead on the ensuing penalty kick, and the USA was eliminated with the 2-1 loss.

Onyewu has long been the subject of transfer rumors throughout Europe. He has been courted at various times by Fulham F.C., Real Madrid, Inter Milan, F.C. Porto, Middlesbrough F.C., Olympique Lyonnais, Manchester United, PSV Eindhoven, Olympique de Marseille and Chelsea F.C..[3]

On December 26, 2006, Onyewu was voted U.S. Soccer Athlete of the Year, mainly because of his strong performance earlier that year at the World Cup. He was the first defender to earn the award since Alexi Lalas in 1995.

Guest swanstoon

Well would you want to play for Gormless Glen ?

I just looked 'gormless' up in the dictionary-'foolish & lacking sense'. Hmmmm.My theory,for what it's worth,kind of tallies with the above quotes & that is that Glenn Roeder doesn't inspire confidence in the 'big name' players (ie-defenders of the calibre of Lucas Neill)  the club so desperately needs.He's obviously good with the young Academy players which explains why Paul Huntington & David Edgar have responded so well to him.Hindsight is a wonderful thing,but maybe the club should've thanked him for saving the team's season in the first half of last year & sent him back to the Academy & gone after Martin O'Neill or Alan Curbishley.Just a thought-feel free to piss all over it!!! 

Interesting quotes from Baros today. Saying he'd agreed to join Chelsea but it didn't go through because SWP didn't want to go the other way, it fell through. He also said that Mourinho asked him in the tunnel of a recent Chelsea v Vill amatch if he'd sign. You think the FA might investigate this for more tapping-up?

Thought exactly the same when I read that.