Glenn Hopeful on Defender Decision

Skirge

From what I've read atleast 3 or 4 of the papers say it is Oguchi Onyewu.

looked poor in the world cup, silly fouls here, there and everywhere if i remember correctly.

On December 26, 2006, Onyewu was voted U.S. Soccer Athlete of the Year, mainly because of his strong performance earlier that year at the World Cup

???

looked poor in the world cup, silly fouls here, there and everywhere if i remember correctly.

On December 26, 2006, Onyewu was voted U.S. Soccer Athlete of the Year, mainly because of his strong performance earlier that year at the World Cup

???

American's voted for it........

???

Point?

???

Point?

they voted for Bush.

???

Point?

they voted for Bush.

::)

Take your pick out of these USA defenders..

Chris Albright

Pos: D DOB: 1/14/1979

Height: 6-1 Weight: 177

Club: Los Angeles (MLS) Caps: 20

-----------------------------------------------

Carlos Bocanegra

Pos: D DOB: 5/25/1979

Height: 6-0 Weight: 215

Club: Fulham Caps: 40

Pablo Mastroeni

Pos: D DOB: 8/29/1976

Height: 5-10 Weight: 172

Club: Colorado (MLS) Caps: 47

------------------------------------------------

Steve Cherundolo

Pos: D DOB: 2/19/1979

Height: 5-6 Weight: 146

Club: Hanover 96 Caps: 34

--------------------------------------------------

Eddie Lewis

Pos: D DOB: 5/17/1974

Height: 5-10 Weight: 156

Club: Leeds Caps: 68

Cory Gibbs

Pos: D DOB: 1/14/1980

Height: 6-0 Weight: 178

Club: ADO Den Haag Caps: 19

Jimmy Conrad

Pos: D DOB: 2/12/1977

Height: 6-2 Weight: 185

Club: Kansas City (MLS) Caps: 14

--------------------------------------------------------

Oguchi Onyewu

Pos: D DOB: 5/13/1982

Height: 6-4 Weight: 210

Club: Standard Liege Caps: 14

EddiPos: D DOB: 12/24/1973

Height: 6-1 Weight: 179

Club: Real Salt Lake (MLS) Caps: 79e Pope

----------------------------------------------------------

Guest nufc 4 life

looks like he is the guy GR is after i hope so anyways just really hope that is has apermanent signing clause thing in the loan contract. here are some stats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oguchi_Onyewu

Oguchialu Chilioke "Oguchi" Onyewu (born May 13, 1982 in Washington, D.C.) is an American soccer defender that currently plays for Standard Liège.

Onyewu's parents moved to the United States from Nigeria to attend Howard University in Washington, D.C. Onyewu has two brothers, Uche and Nonye, and two sisters, Chi-Chi and Ogechi. Growing up in Silver Spring and later Olney, Maryland, Onyewu attended Sherwood High School where he played soccer for two years. [1] He then enrolled in the U.S. residency program in Bradenton, Florida, before returning to Sherwood to graduate.

Onyewu then played two years of college soccer at Clemson University, and moved to Europe in 2002, signing with FC Metz of France's Ligue 1. In 2003, he was loaned out to La Louvière in Belgium, and to Standard Liège a year later. The move to Liège was made permanent for the 2004-05 season.

Onyewu, often referred to by the nickname "Gooch," is, at 6 ft 4[1] in (1.93 m) and 210 pounds (95 kg), believed to be the tallest field player in US team history, though two goalkeepers were taller, according to U.S. Soccer. [2]

Onyewu has been part of various U.S. youth teams, and played at the 2001 World Youth Championship. He made his first appearance for the senior national team on October 13, 2004 against Panama.

"Gooch" is remembered for losing his mark and allowing a goal to Jared Borgetti of Mexico in Azteca Stadium on March 27, 2005, only to redeem himself by dominating Borgetti in a rematch between the teams on September 3, 2005 in Columbus, Ohio. Onyewu scored his first international goal in dramatic fashion, nodding home the extra time winner in the semifinal of the 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup against Honduras. The powerful six-foot-four defender was later named to the tournament Best XI. He has also been named to the Belgian league Best XI twice and was named Foreign Player of the Year in 2005.

Oguchi played for the USA in the FIFA World Cup 2006 held in Germany, and started in all three of the USA's games. Just before halftime of the third and final match of group play, with the USA tied 1-1 against Ghana, Onyewu was called for a foul in the penalty area, though replays appeared to confirm Onyewu's protests that he had not fouled. Ghana took the lead on the ensuing penalty kick, and the USA was eliminated with the 2-1 loss.

Onyewu has long been the subject of transfer rumors throughout Europe. He has been courted at various times by Fulham F.C., Real Madrid, Inter Milan, F.C. Porto, Middlesbrough F.C., Olympique Lyonnais, Manchester United, PSV Eindhoven, Olympique de Marseille and Chelsea F.C..[3]

On December 26, 2006, Onyewu was voted U.S. Soccer Athlete of the Year, mainly because of his strong performance earlier that year at the World Cup. He was the first defender to earn the award since Alexi Lalas in 1995.

Oguchi Onyewu you mean

6 foot 4 is a good height like but would he cope in the Prem.

Reading stuff linking him with Chelski at the moment though...

American international central defender Oguchi Onyewu is reportedly in talks with Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea and a fee of two million pounds is being speculated for the prospective January transfer.

The Blues had last week approached the 24-year-old Onyewu also known as ‘Gooch’ who plays for Standard Liege in Belgium.

“There is truth in regard to Chelsea (wanting Onyewu),” his agent Will Sherling said.

Onyewu is adamant on the stance that he wants regular football and does not want to languish on the bench, the reason he chose not to go to Real Madrid, according to Sherling.

“When Madrid made a bid for him, it was not necessarily with him coming as a first-choice defender,” Sherling said.

“I don't know if that's the case with Chelsea. The best club for him is one that will develop his profile as a player. He doesn't need to get tangled up in which club is bigger than the next.”

Onyewu was earlier linked with Chris Coleman’s Fulham but the obvious stumbling block for the deal to falter was the Cottagers’ offer. The highly rated defender of Nigerian descent had also rejected a move to Middlesbrough in September.

Lyon are also linked with an offer for ‘Gooch’, who was the US Soccer athlete of 2006. “Lyon want to sign the player. They want to do the deal, but they want him to stay at Liege until the end of the summer,” Sherling said.

Onyewu though is not keen to extend his Liege contract, which runs out at the end of next season.

if we are to take a chance, he sounds like a decent player.

how about his mentality - is he calm enough? or will we just see another bramble/o'brien player?

there is a nike video of him on youtube, where for a brief second he looks excactly like this:  O0

absolute class.

he certainly has the physical attributes to be a massive success!

Hope we can get him but there seems to be a lot of other clubs interested in him, Chelski being the main one with Fulham also after him.

Price will be around £4mill for him, well worth a risk at that price I say.

Guest nufc 4 life

Oguchi Onyewu you mean

6 foot 4 is a good height like but would he cope in the Prem.

Reading stuff linking him with Chelski at the moment though...

American international central defender Oguchi Onyewu is reportedly in talks with Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea and a fee of two million pounds is being speculated for the prospective January transfer.

The Blues had last week approached the 24-year-old Onyewu also known as ‘Gooch’ who plays for Standard Liege in Belgium.

“There is truth in regard to Chelsea (wanting Onyewu),” his agent Will Sherling said.

[glow=red,2,300]Onyewu is adamant on the stance that he wants regular football and does not want to languish on the bench, the reason he chose not to go to Real Madrid, according to Sherling[/glow].

“When Madrid made a bid for him, it was not necessarily with him coming as a first-choice defender,” Sherling said.

“I don't know if that's the case with Chelsea. [glow=red,2,300]The best club for him is one that will develop his profile as a player. He doesn't need to get tangled up in which club is bigger than the next.”[/glow]

Onyewu was earlier linked with Chris Coleman’s Fulham but the obvious stumbling block for the deal to falter was the Cottagers’ offer. The highly rated defender of Nigerian descent had also rejected a move to Middlesbrough in September.

Lyon are also linked with an offer for ‘Gooch’, who was the US Soccer athlete of 2006. “Lyon want to sign the player. They want to do the deal, but they want him to stay at Liege until the end of the summer,” Sherling said.

Onyewu though is not keen to extend his Liege contract, which runs out at the end of next season.

he doesn't give a shite about which club is bigger he just wants regualr football at high level something we can definetely give him especially with recent injury problems and he doesn't look like he would get easily injured.

Is Oguchi Onyewu that really tall guy that played in the world cup?

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/jonah_freedman/06/12/us.openingloss/t1_onyewu.jpg

http://www.southerngent.org/soccer/onyewu_borgetti.jpg

and i can't see many people wanting to go into a 50-50 with him LMAO

Guest nufc 4 life

i am getting more and more excited with the prospect of this guy coming to us i just beg that there is a cluase which means we can make the deal permanent if there isn't then he will be great for the rest of the season, but really need a view to signing permanentely when we can