Spurs get bye to UEFA Cup last 16

Guest Darth Toon

just think, if by some miracle, Spurs fluke it and win the UEFA cup - it'll forever be accompanied by 'ahhh but they got a bye in one round, so they didn't really win it'  ^-^

just think, if by some miracle, Spurs fluke it and win the UEFA cup - it'll forever be accompanied by 'ahhh but they got a bye in one round, so they didn't really win it'  ^-^

They'll only then point to the two occasions when they won it without needing a bye. Of course, we all know the UEFA cup is mere pish comparied to the proper trophy.

Especially since it was devalued by the format change.

I agree - it is devalued a bit now by the format change. Said it many a time 'ere and elsewhere, I used to really enjoy the UEFA Cup, in fact, there where seasons in recent memory, when the UEFA Cup threw up more entertainment and competition than the Champions League. But since this daft group stage thing has been brought in, it's just spoilt it from a neutral perspective at least. The whole group stage is dull, cos you can more or less be qualified after 2 games! Whats the point of that, it's a waste.

I'm a bit of a purist in that sense.

I still object to clubs being allowed to enter the "Champions" League without having actually won their league. Bring back the old EC format.

(and commentary done over the phone, crackly pictures from abroad,  and teams from communist countries who wouldn't have a single player you'd ever heard of but were really, really good)

I still object to clubs being allowed to enter the "Champions" League without having actually won their league. Bring back the old EC format.

(and commentary done over the phone, crackly pictures from abroad,  and teams from communist countries who wouldn't have a single player you'd ever heard of but were really, really good)

Those were the days, bring back the Cup Winners Cup as well.

yep, I'm with you there an' all, which might surprise you being as we won it after finishing 4th!

But it just seems daft to me, it's just another sign of the money mad / TV rights influenced way football has sadly gone. That for them the most important is getting a higher volume of games, capable of bringing in the most money. From a fan perspective I enjoy the CL (at times!) cos it does do for a number of good games. But really, there is something to be said for the obscure early rounds. Its the way it should be, but hey, as long as football is ran by TV revenue, we won't get back to that.

Disagree with this.

If you let the top 4 teams in the league from the previous season, then the current CL competition will almost certainly have the league champions from the current season competing.

Hence, its the Champion's League - it will almost certainly have at least one team from each country that will win their respective domestic league title in the same season.

Otherwise, it would be pointless if one season a team wins the Premiership or La Liga or the Portugese/German/Dutch league for example, sells a few players or picks up injuries, then turns out to be shiite the following season - yet theyd be in the CL solely representing their country if it were the old format.

Likewise, if a team finished 4th, then considerably strengthens the team to the extent that theyre going to be serious title challengers, and end up winning the title, its alot better if theyre in the CL for that season too. Take ManU this season for example - last year they looked like they were slipping, far from a top side, yet this campaign they look like champions, and they probably will be if they maintain their form. Its only fitting that theyre in the CL at same time, in the same season that theyre hitting top form.

I think this way is alot better, and its still a competition for champions, just that its gone from past champions to including potential champions and hence current champions for that season.

Disagree with this.

If you let the top 4 teams in the league from the previous season, then the current CL competition will almost certainly have the league champions from the current season competing.

Hence, its the Champion's League - it will almost certainly have at least one team from each country that will win their respective domestic league title in the same season.

Otherwise, it would be pointless if one season a team wins the Premiership or La Liga or the Portugese/German/Dutch league for example, sells a few players or picks up injuries, then turns out to be shiite the following season - yet theyd be in the CL solely representing their country if it were the old format.

Likewise, if a team finished 4th, then considerably strengthens the team to the extent that theyre going to be serious title challengers, and end up winning the title, its alot better if theyre in the CL for that season too. Take ManU this season for example - last year they looked like they were slipping, far from a top side, yet this campaign they look like champions, and they probably will be if they maintain their form. Its only fitting that theyre in the CL at same time, in the same season that theyre hitting top form.

I think this way is alot better, and its still a competition for champions, just that its gone from past champions to including potential champions and hence current champions for that season.

But surely the 4 teams that will enter, from England anyway, will be the same four teams for the foreseeable future? How dull is that? And the first time one of those 4 fails to qualify, I'll be interesting to see how much shit they kick up about it.

And when we won it, that year we finished 11th. We still won it, though. But the concept then was for national champions to compete. Now it has become some kind of de facto "let's keep all the money here" league.

Jonny2J is right, too. Bring back the Cup Winners Cup.

Feyenoord take case to CAS

Feyenoord have appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) against their exclusion from the UEFA Cup.

The CAS ruling will be of particular interest to Tottenham, who had been granted a bye to the last 16 of the competition after being pitched against the Dutch club prior to their exclusion.

The Eredivisie outfit were thrown out of the competition by UEFA following a major crowd disturbance during their group phase match away to French side AS Nancy.

The CAS said in a statement released on Monday that their final decision will be announced on February 9 at the latest.

The statement read: "Feyenoord Rotterdam has filed an appeal with the Court of Arbitration for Sport against the decision of the UEFA Appeals Body of 25 January 2006.

"UEFA has excluded the Dutch club from the UEFA Cup 2006-07 and has fined the club following the incidents which occurred during the UEFA Cup match AS Nancy v Feyenoord Rotterdam on 30 November 2006.

"The Dutch club has requested the annulment of the UEFA decision. The CAS has proposed to both Feyenoord and UEFA to conduct an expedited procedure in order to render a final decision on 9 February 2007 at the latest.

"A procedural calendar will be established very shortly. The date of the hearing will be fixed later this week as soon as the three arbitrators (judges) constituting the Panel have been appointed."

Guest kingdawson

Feyenoord have appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) against their exclusion from the UEFA Cup.

The CAS ruling will be of particular interest to Tottenham, who had been granted a bye to the last 16 of the competition after being pitched against the Dutch club prior to their exclusion.

The Eredivisie outfit were thrown out of the competition by UEFA following a major crowd disturbance during their group phase match away to French side AS Nancy.

The CAS said in a statement released on Monday that their final decision will be announced on February 9 at the latest.

The statement read: "Feyenoord Rotterdam has filed an appeal with the Court of Arbitration for Sport against the decision of the UEFA Appeals Body of 25 January 2006.

"UEFA has excluded the Dutch club from the UEFA Cup 2006-07 and has fined the club following the incidents which occurred during the UEFA Cup match AS Nancy v Feyenoord Rotterdam on 30 November 2006.

"The Dutch club has requested the annulment of the UEFA decision. The CAS has proposed to both Feyenoord and UEFA to conduct an expedited procedure in order to render a final decision on 9 February 2007 at the latest.

"A procedural calendar will be established very shortly. The date of the hearing will be fixed later this week as soon as the three arbitrators (judges) constituting the Panel have been appointed."

I guarantee that if this was an English club and there fans behaved in the same manner that those hooligan Feyenord fans did, they would not only be chucked out of the competition but banned from the competition for at least 2-3 seasons.

oh who am i kidding, i just want the bloody bye O0

I guarantee that if this was an English club and there fans behaved in the same manner that those hooligan Feyenord fans did, they would not only be chucked out of the competition but banned from the competition for at least 2-3 seasons.

oh who am i kidding, i just want the bloody bye O0

not think you can beat them like?