Looks like we really have no money

stozo

Guest Gemmill

I trust Alan Oliver, and while it may be hard to take, as a hard hitting journalist he is right to reveal that Glenn 'significant funds' Roeder is quite simply a sickening and outrageous liar.

I really don't believe that Roeder would be so stupid. That kind of comment would inevitably backfire if he knew it wasn't true.

This has Shepherd's fingerprints all over it. I don't expect the club to buy players, but I do expect honesty. don't think Shepherd has been honest to either fans or manager.

Well I'll tell you what, IF Shepherd has lied to Roeder and told him there was plenty cash and has now pulled the rug out from under him, then the onus is on Roeder to either go public with it or walk out.  Sorry, but no manager is going to stand for that and nor should they.  So unless I see one of the above happening then I very much doubt that Shepherd lied to him.

Lose out on a large wage and probably one of the few chances of top flight management he will get. Not to mention that such a move would inevitably let down the fans and the players in the long run.

If I was in that situation, I would go public, and if Shepherd sacked me, I would then have a hefty pay cheque, and no-one would believe Shepherd again. However, I'm not sure roeder would do the same.

As I say, it's rolling contract so there will be no hefty payout.

It is a 2 year contract actually.

Either way, I don't care, if what you two think is true, then he needs to grow some balls and take a stand.  If he ends up on the dole then so be it.  As things stand he's being made a mug of in front of all of the fans and media, and if he was any sort of bloke he'd be raising hell.  I know I fucking would.

No surprises here. Shepherd didn't work in an open and honest manner with the last two managers so it's hardly likely that he's changed his style.

The longer-term concern is that clubs like Spurs, Villa, and West Ham now seem to have more spending power in the transfer market. We've already slipped behind the big four since Shepherd took over. Now we're being overtaken by other clubs who have undergone a change of ownership. As long as this fool remains in charge, we'll become a less and less attractive proposition to any future owner.

I think Sir John Hall has sussed out that Freddie isn't the right man and we're going nowhere fast with him. The only consolation is that their relationship is probably damaged beyond repair, and he and Douggie may decide to bale out on their own.

I'm still confident we'll have 3 or 4 players through the door by next Wednesday.

Or am I talking shit?  ???

Make it two or three and I agree - even if they are only loans. I cannot see Roeder even contemplating going the rest of the season as we are now, squad-wise. It would be tantamount to giving up now, and Shepherd won't be happy with a lower mid-table finish. Catch-22.

Here are the facts:

Roeder has drawn up a list of big-name targets, and had to rip it up after discovering that there is no transfer kitty.

Roeder was hopeful on signing a top international defender on loan within 48 hours. 24 hours later, he names the player and states that he has changed his mind.

Of the latter, and I said this yesterday, I don't believe that Roeder has changed his mind. Either Kiev didn't want to sell, or the board vetoed the move.

For me, this means one of the following:

1) Roeder has come up with this imaginary transfer kitty, and has only just found out that that imaginary kitty is non-existant.

2) Roeder was told that he had £X to spend, but Shepherd had lied to him.

3) Roeder was told that he had £X to spend, but Shepherd has changed his mind, deciding to sack Roeder and replace him with someone else.

4) Roeder was told that he had £X to spend, which we do, but he is only allowed to sign players Shepherd approves of.

5) Roeder was told he had £X to spend, but the Halls  have vetoed our transfers as part of their dispute with Shepherd over the takeovers.

6) Signings are subject to gettin Luque of the wage bill, and Roeder has been unable to do that.

Guest Gemmill

I'm still confident we'll have 3 or 4 players through the door by next Wednesday.

Make it two or three and I agree - even if they are only loans. I cannot see Roeder even contemplating going the rest of the season as we are now, squad-wise. It would be tantamount to giving up now, and Shepherd won't be happy with a lower mid-table finish. Catch-22.

It's a question of quality too though, isn't it.  He did the bodies through the door thing last time when we got Rossi, Sibierski and Bernard.  Bernard has yet to play, he hardly bothered with Rossi, and he's got lucky beyond his wildest dreams with Sibierski (who's starting to look like the player I thought we'd signed, even though saying this earned me a right mouthful off some cocknose on the boards a week ago).  If he brings in players of that quality again it's unlikely he'll be so lucky again.   :-[

I trust Alan Oliver, and while it may be hard to take, as a hard hitting journalist he is right to reveal that Glenn 'significant funds' Roeder is quite simply a sickening and outrageous liar.

I really don't believe that Roeder would be so stupid. That kind of comment would inevitably backfire if he knew it wasn't true.

This has Shepherd's fingerprints all over it. I don't expect the club to buy players, but I do expect honesty. don't think Shepherd has been honest to either fans or manager.

Well I'll tell you what, IF Shepherd has lied to Roeder and told him there was plenty cash and has now pulled the rug out from under him, then the onus is on Roeder to either go public with it or walk out.  Sorry, but no manager is going to stand for that and nor should they.  So unless I see one of the above happening then I very much doubt that Shepherd lied to him.

Lose out on a large wage and probably one of the few chances of top flight management he will get. Not to mention that such a move would inevitably let down the fans and the players in the long run.

If I was in that situation, I would go public, and if Shepherd sacked me, I would then have a hefty pay cheque, and no-one would believe Shepherd again. However, I'm not sure roeder would do the same.

As I say, it's rolling contract so there will be no hefty payout.

It is a 2 year contract actually.

Either way, I don't care, if what you two think is true, then he needs to grow some balls and take a stand.  If he ends up on the dole then so be it.  As things stand he's being made a mug of in front of all of the fans and media, and if he was any sort of bloke he'd be raising hell.  I know I fucking would.

I know I would too. But it doesn't happen. Remember Souness? He just gave up after Shepherd wouldn't spend in January, and he just waited for the sack and a big payoff.

Guest Gemmill

Of the latter, and I said this yesterday, I don't believe that Roeder has changed his mind. Either Kiev didn't want to sell, or the board vetoed the move.

As I pointed out to you yesterday, why would a man name a player that he was 48 hours away from signing, have the move vetoed by either his board or the selling club and then come out with "It has come to light that this player is rubbish and is no better than what we've got."  He wouldn't because it makes him look like a fucking idiot.  So I think we can safely say that you're wrong about that one and that the reason we didn't get him is because some kind soul saved Roeder's arse by pointing out that he was shit.

Shepherd is an absolute disgrace.

Roeder must have been completely misled as to who the club can afford if he had compiled a list of targets and then find out we can't even afford one of them.

Means he's spent the last few months looking at big money players, when he needed to instead be looking at cheap options.

Roeder was blatantly appointed so that Shepherd could have a man in place with whom he could totally control what went on in the transfer market.

Explain?

Roeder must have been completely misled as to who the club can afford if he had compiled a list of targets and then find out we can't even afford one of them.

Means he's spent the last few months looking at big money players, when he needed to instead be looking at cheap options.

Roeder was blatantly appointed so that Shepherd could have a man in place with whom he could totally control what went on in the transfer market.

Explain?

Why bother asking? Its inciting further nonsense tbh.

It doesn't sit very well with Shepherd's comment that all the uncertainty over a takeover had made it difficult to buy players because clubs were asking for more money than players were worth. If we've got no money in the first place, it doesn't make any difference.

Perish the thought, but it looks like he was trying to set the Halls up for the blame when no-one is brought in. I'm sure there's some other explanation.

As I pointed out to you yesterday, why would a man name a player that he was 48 hours away from signing, have the move vetoed by either his board or the selling club and then come out with "It has come to light that this player is rubbish and is no better than what we've got."  He wouldn't because it makes him look like a fucking idiot.  So I think we can safely say that you're wrong about that one and that the reason we didn't get him is because some kind soul saved Roeder's arse by pointing out that he was shit.

I just can't see Roeder being that stupid though. And given his proffesionalism, that was what he perceived as the best recovery option, although it has turned into a PR disaster.

It's all conjecture though, none of us really know what is going on, although I can see further than any of the six options I mentioned in the post you quoted.

Explain?

I think there are already enough explanations from myself in the rest of the thread.

It's a question of quality too though, isn't it.  He did the bodies through the door thing last time when we got Rossi, Sibierski and Bernard.  Bernard has yet to play, he hardly bothered with Rossi, and he's got lucky beyond his wildest dreams with Sibierski (who's starting to look like the player I thought we'd signed, even though saying this earned me a right mouthful off some cocknose on the boards a week ago).  If he brings in players of that quality again it's unlikely he'll be so lucky again.  :-[

Well yes, but in our situation fit, reliable players who are very average are more useful than players of any quality who are injured/inexperienced. Last summer was ludicrous; Bernard was a joke and I agree he was very lucky with Sibierski. Rossi was a half decent idea, i'll give him that - it just didn't work out. That kind of loan would have done now though, rather than the summer. I'll be satisfied somewhat if we get in a couple of players just to paper over the cracks for a couple of months. Players of Brian McBride's calibre, for example. This season is a combination of horrific injuries and the aforementioned debacle. If we get through it in the top half I think we'll have done well tbh. Hopefully if we do so it'll show Shepherd/Roeder just what happens when there is no 'planning'.

i think there is a bit cash there,bearing in mind the bids we put in for zat knight and huth last august and the future extra monies mean the banks etc will loan us that bit more,however i think there is a reluctance to spend mega in order to slightly improve ,ie brum turn down £8mill from west ham for upson and if he signed for us would it turn us into champs lge contenders.

look at this forum for example,when a player comes along supposedly on the cheap,half the forum slags him off as being crap(gooch) and would then slag off the manager and board for buying him then having trouble getting rid.

if it means waiting till the summer to attempt to get the right player,i'd rather do that than get the wrong one now for the sake of just getting someone in.

You're expecting Shepherd to be HONEST with the fans...!!????

Guest Gemmill

It's a question of quality too though, isn't it.  He did the bodies through the door thing last time when we got Rossi, Sibierski and Bernard.  Bernard has yet to play, he hardly bothered with Rossi, and he's got lucky beyond his wildest dreams with Sibierski (who's starting to look like the player I thought we'd signed, even though saying this earned me a right mouthful off some cocknose on the boards a week ago).  If he brings in players of that quality again it's unlikely he'll be so lucky again.   :-[

Well yes, but in our situation fit, reliable players who are very average are more useful than players of any quality who are injured/inexperienced. Last summer was ludicrous; Bernard was a joke and I agree he was very lucky with Sibierski. Rossi was a half decent idea, i'll give him that - it just didn't work out. That kind of loan would have done now though, rather than the summer. I'll be satisfied somewhat if we get in a couple of players just to paper over the cracks for a couple of months. Players of Brian McBride's calibre, for example. This season is a combination of horrific injuries and the aforementioned debacle. If we get through it in the top half I think we'll have done well tbh. Hopefully if we do so it'll show Shepherd/Roeder just what happens when there is no 'planning'.

I just can't believe the mess we are currently in for the second transfer window in a row.  After the way Roeder went missing in the press for about a week and a half after the August window closed, I'd have thought he'd be shamed into making a decent fist of this one by doing some advance planning.  Instead here we are and he's got fuck all idea other than a pie-in-the-sky list of players like Crouch and Bent who he has no way of paying for.  

People can point the finger at Shepherd or Roeder, but I couldn't care less who is to blame.  One thing I do know is that if I was Roeder and I was being made to look an idiot by Shepherd, I'd be gone.  Out the door.  All this talk of it being a shot at a big job that he doesn't want to miss out on etc.  What sort of shot is it if you're being undermined and used as a patsy by your boss?  It's a no brainer, you walk and hope that you get a proper job that you'll be supported in elsewhere.  The fact that he doesn't means either he is being taken for a fool and he's a wimp, or he isn't in which case he has to accept a chunk of the blame for the mess he's making of this window.  Either way he doesn't come out of it looking too impressive.

As I pointed out to you yesterday, why would a man name a player that he was 48 hours away from signing, have the move vetoed by either his board or the selling club and then come out with "It has come to light that this player is rubbish and is no better than what we've got."  He wouldn't because it makes him look like a fucking idiot.  So I think we can safely say that you're wrong about that one and that the reason we didn't get him is because some kind soul saved Roeder's arse by pointing out that he was shit.

I just can't see Roeder being that stupid though. And given his proffesionalism, that was what he perceived as the best recovery option, although it has turned into a PR disaster.

It's all conjecture though, none of us really know what is going on, although I can see further than any of the six options I mentioned in the post you quoted.

Aye, so just carry on making stuff up.......

you know its a good article with no quotes! i do think we have little or no money tho :'(

Quite, the only actual quotes referring to our transfer kitty were from Roeder himself. But, whatever.

Someone has been telling porkies and the only way to sort this out is a........ FIIIIIIGGGGHHHHT!!!!!!

http://www.hdfa.co.uk/sffred.gif          http://www.hdfa.co.uk/sfolly.gif                              http://www.hdfa.co.uk/sfglenn.gif

what a f**king joke !! If we had no money to spend then we should have been told this on 1st January.. We have been linked with Bale, Crouch, Bent, Curtis Davies etc etc who all cost at least 7-10 million each.. If we couldnt afford them then why were we led to believe that we were going for them.??

Raising the fans hopes and then dropping our hopes like a bang. Typical.. I hope the reception for the Villa match show Shepherd / Roeder how pi**ed off the fans are with the crap.

We are been taken for fools.. Going for Curtis Davies only 4 days ago knowing he would cost at least 6-9 million and now 4 days later there is no transfer kitty..

Im sick of this sh*t !!!!!

Oh, and I forgot the Duff signing, which was ridiculous IMO. But I've done that argument before, so I won't do it again. ;)

Not too sure why it was ridiculous, Dave. We only had Zog for the left side and as a young player he was likely to have a dip in form, without even considering the possibility of him being injured. The fact Zog has been injured and out of form would have made Duff a regular starter on the left had he not also been injured. We're lacking in that area, hence the likes of O'Brien and Pattison getting a game there. Having more than one player who can play that position is no different to wanting a couple of decent LB's, imo. If they'd both been fit I'd have been selecting Duff at LB even if Zog was fit, Duff would have been getting lots of games.

As I pointed out to you yesterday, why would a man name a player that he was 48 hours away from signing, have the move vetoed by either his board or the selling club and then come out with "It has come to light that this player is rubbish and is no better than what we've got."  He wouldn't because it makes him look like a fucking idiot.  So I think we can safely say that you're wrong about that one and that the reason we didn't get him is because some kind soul saved Roeder's arse by pointing out that he was shit.

Either that, or the transfer proposal was initially set up by Shepherd, perhaps after contact from an agent. Roeder then looks into the idea, and decides against.